EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:17 AM   #1
brentw

GoDaddy + Gmail + Fastmail = Cheap Redundancy

As it is like $10/yr for Godaddy to host your domain and unlimited DNS lookups on it (they also allow low TTL), they will forward all your incoming mail to multiple e-mail addresses.

I have them MX forwarding all mail for my domains to both Gmail and Fastmail. They do all the work you don't even have to tell them the MX records just the e-mail you want all your mail forwarded to and they do catch-all so all mail forwards not just one to a specific address.

I find this to be more economical than Tuffmail which I found to be a little pricey for the attitude and crappy webmail interface.

Gmail + Fastmail = good web interfaces when fastmail is down and good SPAM filtering, also 3GB of storage for gmail that is FREE.
brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Sep 2006, 03:02 AM   #2
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Naive question from me who knows very little about such things.

You have your own domain then? Would not spammers try to do DOS attacks for to use your domain as a spambot? Or maybe I get all this wrong but I vaguelly remember even big email providers get attacked now and then?

the reason I ask such dummie question is that this is why I have not thought of getting my own domain. I know too little on how to protect me from them. I mean if even big companies fail to protect themselves how could I do it?

Last edited by drew : 5 Sep 2006 at 03:13 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2006, 05:10 AM   #3
theukrainian

is there a transfer limit for GoDaddy? also, there is a mention in some other thread of a problem, whereby psam filtering is not as effective for forwarded mail. I wonder if that's true
theukrainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2006, 05:18 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by theukrainian
is there a transfer limit for GoDaddy?
I don't know but read this thread before you sign up with GoDaddy.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2006, 05:23 AM   #5
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

I use dreamhost -- since I have all of my things through them anywho -- and they allow multiple recipients and are very rock solid ... so right now I have all my mail going to both Tuffmail AND to Fastmail.

I guess in a year's time we'll see how good Fastmail vs Tuffmail is and use 'em both.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2006, 05:24 AM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

That was 2 years ago....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2006, 07:43 AM   #7
memac

I've been using godaddy for domain and email forwarding for a few years and have never had a problem with them. As far as I know they always forwarded email as expected, I have never had problems with their UI, and the domain name forwarding seems to always work.

Since the latest FM outage I've been using godaddy as my MX host and have forwarded email to both Tuffmail and Google and so far all is well, and I'll be keeping it that way. It's nice getting my email again.
memac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
theukrainian

Quote:
Originally posted by memac Since the latest FM outage I've been using godaddy as my MX host and have forwarded email to both Tuffmail and Google and so far all is well, and I'll be keeping it that way. It's nice getting my email again.
But, are SPAM filtering and greylisting affected at all by forwarding?

thanks.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:42 AM   #9
theukrainian

Quote:
is there a transfer limit for GoDaddy? also, there is a mention in some other thread of a problem, whereby psam filtering is not as effective for forwarded mail. I wonder if that's true
I just called godaddy, and it appears that you are allowed 250 e-mails per day, but there is no limit on the size of attachments or anything like that.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:09 AM   #10
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Re: GoDaddy + Gmail + Fastmail = Cheap Redundancy

Quote:
Originally posted by brentw
I have them MX forwarding all mail for my domains to both Gmail and Fastmail. They do all the work you don't even have to tell them the MX records just the e-mail you want all your mail forwarded to and they do catch-all so all mail forwards not just one to a specific address.
[/b]
A basic but puzzling (for me) question of I may:

Do you have to have a FULL FM account in order to use MX (as opposed to simple fowarding) to forward your domain mail from the likes of ZoneEdit?

I am an Enhanced FM user and believe its done via 'virtual domains' but cannot access that with my account.

Can someone please clarify.

Thank you.

Last edited by CyberDyne : 6 Sep 2006 at 09:18 AM.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:47 AM   #11
memac

Quote:
But, are SPAM filtering and greylisting affected at all by forwarding?

thanks.
I haven't experienced such problems, but that's not to say they don't exist. Both Tuffmail and gmail have been very effective at correctly filing my forwarded junk mail as spam, except for occasional insistence by both that my securityfocus.com listserv email is spam.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:54 AM   #12
memac

Quote:
I just called godaddy, and it appears that you are allowed 250 e-mails per day, but there is no limit on the size of attachments or anything like that.
Is that for mail you send using their service or forwarded mail or both? On their page for using their SMTP relay I do see that limit:

http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...topic_id=166&&

But I don't see that here in the info for email forwarding:
http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...topic_id=166&&
Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:22 AM   #13
theukrainian

Quote:
Originally posted by memac
Is that for mail you send using their service or forwarded mail or both?
That's a very good question. I asked them specifically about the forwarding, but the guy on the phone had to go away and make sure there is no limit on the attachment size (meaning that there is no b/w cap), so maybe he was not entirely knowlegeable... confusing. Oh well
Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:37 AM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
That was 2 years ago....
Here is a more recent link Terry.
David is offline   Reply With Quote