EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 16 Apr 2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Zach

Maills.de ending their service

Maills.de is ending their service, but they didn't explain why. They're encouraging users to switch to other services such as Outlook. For those who can read German, I got this email a few days ago:

"Guten Tag

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie ein Konto bei maills.de oder maills.ch registriert haben.

Leider müssen wir Ihnen mitteilen, dass wir unser Service per 15.05.17 einstellen müssen.

Sie können Ihre Nachrichten auf Ihrem PC sichern und in die gängigen Mail-Programme (Outlook usw.) importieren.

Dazu gehen Sie am besten folgendermassen vor:

Wählen Sie in Ihrem Postfach den gewünschten Ordener (Posteingang).
Wählen Sie mit der linken Maustaste oben das erste Symbol und klicken Sie auf "alle herunterladen".
Jetzt können Sie wählen, wo die Nachrichten auf Ihrem PC gespeichert werden sollen. Die Daten werden in einer zip-Datei gespeichert.
Die einzelnen Dateien erhalten die Endung ".eml". Somit können diese in die meisten gängigen E-Mailprogrammen importiert werden. Je nach Datenmenge, kann der Download mehrere Minuten in Anspruch nehmen.
Dieser Vorgang muss für jeden Postfach-Ordner wiederholt werden.
Sollte das nicht funktionieren, können Sie wichtige Nachrichten auch einfach auf ihr neues Konto senden (weiterleiten).

Bei Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung. Auch geben wir Ihnen gerne einen unabhängigen Tipp, für einen alternativen Freemail-Anbieter.

Freundliche Grüsse
Support maills.de"
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Well, that's what's happening to more and more small free email providers

BTW, with my limited German, I understand they recommend Outlook as a mail client for downloading & archiving messages, not outlook.com as a replacement service.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

well at least they give you a months notice to arrange some things in order to get another email provider,-)

Yes...continuety more and more is getting a factor in (free) email providers!! In germany we have many nice (free) email providers...but the question is HOW long they will be arround?
Itis VERY annoying to change email provider every 2 years or so:-(

What is particulary frustrating with most german email providers is, that they MUST have your personal address and also a cellphone number. You could fake the address...but the cellphone number is a bit tricky. besides that I think that in germany emails are even more watched by the government then in the USA..!! For some reason most people outside Germany think this is NOT so...but let me tell you that germany is infact a policestate.

Thats why i always advise people to stick to the bigger players. (minus AOL and Yahoo offcourse)

Personaly I love yandex and mail.ru as free email providers. Eclipso.eu is also a good alternative,allthough they are also based in germany.

Dutchie.

Last edited by Dutchie007 : 16 Apr 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2017, 08:44 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Personaly I love yandex and mail.ru as free email providers.
Russia is a paragon of privacy of course
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Russia is a paragon of privacy of course
if I have to choose between them or the USA/NSA....I choose the first,-)

I think you know what I mean.

D
Old 19 Apr 2017, 04:53 AM   #6
Zach

I wrote them an email and it turns out they're closing for financial reasons. Users were getting a lot of spam and they would've needed to pay more to protect their customers against that, but weren't able to. They're recommending www.emailn.de as an alternative.

Here's the message:

"Guten Tag

Leider müssen wir unser Dienst aus finanziellen und technischen Gründen einstellen. Um uns und unsere Kunden auch in Zukunft vor weiteren Spam Attacken zu schützen wären weitere Investitionen für die Sicherheit notwendig. Auch ich wünschte mir natürlich eine bessere Lösung, aber leider hat sich bis jetzt nichts ergeben.

Als Alternative kann ich Ihnen den Freemail Anbieter www.emailn.de empfehlen. Er ist der unabhängige Nachfolger von maills.de.
Es kann sein, dass Sie dort auch bald maills.de Adressen registrieren können, somit können Sie Ihre bisherigen Adressen weiterhin verwenden.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Support maills.de"
Old 19 Apr 2017, 01:06 PM   #7
rmannam

emailn.de is limited to Austria and Germany.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmannam View Post
emailn.de is limited to Austria and Germany.
No. In the registration form there is also an Option " Anderes Land"...which means Other country,-)

But I doubt this provider is usable...as it NOT provides a smtp server in the free version! No whats that? :-(

Dutchie.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Zach

So it turns out that they're not shutting down after all. At the last moment, they managed to find another company to take over the service. Here's the message I got:

"Guten Tag
Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie eine E-Mailadresse bei maills.de registriert haben.

Wir haben Sie kürzlich darüber informiert, dass maills.de seinen Dienst bald einstellen wird.
Im letzten Moment haben wir jetzt aber doch noch eine Lösung gefunden, um den Dienst weiter zu betreiben.

Maills.de wird von freemail.biz Media übernommen und als kompetenter Freemail Anbieter weitergeführt.
Die Kundendaten (auch alle Postfächer) werden übernommen, auch Ihre registrierte E-Mailadresse wird wie bisher weiter funktionieren.
Für Sie wird sich also nichts ändern, ausser dass eventuell der neue Dienst unter einem neuen Namen funktionieren wird.

Bis alles umgestellt ist, können Sie maills.de weiter wie gewohnt benutzen.

Für die Unannehmlichkeiten möchten wir uns entschuldigen.
Bei Fragen stehen wir Ihnen natürlich gerne weiterhin zur Verfügung.

Mit freundliche Grüssen
Support maills.de"
Old 14 May 2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Yes...continuety more and more is getting a factor in (free) email providers!! In germany we have many nice (free) email providers...but the question is HOW long they will be arround?
Itis VERY annoying to change email provider every 2 years or so:-(

Thats why i always advise people to stick to the bigger players. (minus AOL and Yahoo offcourse)

Personaly I love yandex and mail.ru as free email providers. Eclipso.eu is also a good alternative,allthough they are also based in germany.

Dutchie.
I prefer the smaller email providers but it is a worry that they won't be around that long. Yandex & mail.ru are pretty good & they offer free cloud storage too. The problem with Eclipso is that they require you to turn off your adblocker, which I'm not prepared to do.