EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Feb 2022, 01:10 AM   #31
smtper

An update since a few posters were interested in what I could find.

Services

Tuffmail: Shutdown this year, melded into Fastmail.

Runbox: Their frontend is actually open source! But I don't like their current versions (Runbox 6 and 7). Though this means if there's a change, I could just host the older version as long as the backend stays. I don't see a Runbox 5 though so I'm unsure of their backwards compatibility.

Purelymail: Good UI. But still in beta so possibly too dangerous for my main e-mail. Run by a single person, has a issue tracker https://issues.purelymail.com/Scott/Purelymail/issues . For mail (not config), runs a skinned Roundcube. Tried setting up a custom domain but am not receiving email despite the MX entry validation by Purelymail.

mailbox.org: Limited number of aliases (why?) and I haven't looked further.

Rollernet: Seems to be a hosting service that happens to have webmail (with Roundcube)? They don't really explain themselves in their doc. You have all these pieces and its missing an example or two of stuff you can make with them.

Clients

If I'm using Roundcube, I might as well host my own copy. Then I can theme it can will be able to move hosts more easily. There are a few skin (that are significatly different) to choose from, even some paid https://roundcubeskins.net/. Roundcube doesn't support JMAP though, only IMAP https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/5918

Mailpile: I like this UI better than most of the Roundcube skins but I haven't tried using it more yet.

The demo JMAP client https://github.com/jmapio/jmap-demo-webmail: Almost good enough. But need compose/reply (quoting and encoding may be a pain to add).

Also JMAP can change without notice! So being a standard isn't a guaranttee. Not only can the spec change on a whim, they aren't even updated. https://github.com/jmapio/jmap/issues/323

Options forward

So overall, there hasn't been a clear winner yet. And I haven't even gotten to the part where I try to migrate most of my stuff!

1. Customize and self-host an IMAP client: Roundcube/Mailpile/etc. Use it with any IMAP mailhost that offers custom domains.
2. Move back to GMail.
3. Make a custom JMAP client. But this is only usable with Fastmail and needs to be kept up to date with a not updated moving target.
4. Self host everything mailserver and client but use a paid SMTP service for outgoing mail.
smtper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 01:33 AM   #32
trikotret

The UI aren't that bad. You can get Stylus and make UI changes. There is a UI thread that everyone helped each other setting up their UI tastes. As a new user, I'm more concerned about service reliability. Remember they were DDos attacked last year and it wasn't that bad for United states customers since it was at night for us. But its still alarming.
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2022, 02:37 AM   #33
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quick note: Fastmail now runs on JMAP, but they fully support IMAP.

Any IMAP client will work. I've recently used Thunderbird and AquaMail. I've used many others in the past. FM's support for standards is one of the main reasons I moved to them 20 years ago.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2022, 05:37 AM   #34
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Tried setting up a custom domain but am not receiving email despite the MX entry validation by Purelymail.
Something's not setup correctly. I have used Purelymail for almost a year now with zero problems. In fact, just yesterday I set up one of my domains and started receiving mail within a few minutes. The owner is very responsive if you send a message to support.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2022, 01:16 AM   #35
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Quick note: Fastmail now runs on JMAP, but they fully support IMAP.
Actually Fastmail doen't run on IMAP nor on JMAP: these are just two protocols that may be used by email clients to access their mail server, that hold the mail stores of users. They always allowed and promoted IMAP access. They developed JMAP to get better results in certain environments (such as when accessing mail from a mobile phone or from across the world).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2022, 03:42 AM   #36
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Actually Fastmail doesn't run on IMAP nor on JMAP....
Good clarification. Thanks! My main thought was that IMAP clients work well. If someone doesn't like the web interface or FM's app, there are options.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 12:03 AM   #37
bipbop

For anyone considering Runbox; don't. They have been developing a new solution for years now, and it looks like they'll never get finished. Just look at the complaints in their forum. I was a subscriber until a few years ago, when I saw the writing on the wall. While Fastmail isn't perfect, no email service is. I looked at a LOT of others during the Aussie spy law spectacle, but all others were too expensive and/or lacked features. Really, I don't know of any email service that can beat Fastmail's features and prices.
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 06:08 AM   #38
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop View Post
For anyone considering Runbox; don't ... While Fastmail isn't perfect, no email service is. I looked at a LOT of others during the Aussie spy law spectacle, but all others were too expensive and/or lacked features. Really, I don't know of any email service that can beat Fastmail's features and prices.
Similar journey, pretty much the same conclusion, although I'm still giving Runbox a go (first time for me though). I am already finding the lack of features and speed a bit disappointing and frustrating. (Despite the aim that Runbox 7 will be "the fastest webmail app on the planet" I think the current beta is not even close to Fastmail's webmail in terms of speed).

Another reasonably priced alternative with a great set of features is Zoho. Trouble with Zoho is that they're fairly insistent on making Australians use their Australian data centre - which of course takes us right back to the 'spy law spectacle' that motivated me to look for alternatives to Fastmail.

You can get around that initially by using a VPN when creating a Zoho account, but as soon as you try to pay for an account (to get access to IMAP, for example) you have to provide an address, phone number, etc (and you can't pay in AUD unless you're on the Australian data centre).

Can't win.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 10:10 AM   #39
radtux

Why move away from Fastmail? As for the UI "incosistencies"- you can stick with an email client (that fetches offline) Why spend time and energy on an alternative when the primary service works just fine?
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 12:44 PM   #40
Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
Why move away from Fastmail? As for the UI "incosistencies"- you can stick with an email client (that fetches offline) Why spend time and energy on an alternative when the primary service works just fine?
I agree. I use Apple Mail as a client and don't think I've looked at the Fastmail web version more than once a year or so. Haven't even had reason to look at the new "controversial" one
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 05:59 PM   #41
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

It looks ok, a few things need changing but they wont.

So we slowly get use to it or use something like Thunderbird, but at least with Thunderbird you can save your mail to your PC quite easily.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 06:16 PM   #42
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
I live in Australia and I object in principle to the Assistance and Access Act 2018.

I don't have any issues at all with the Fastmail UI. Along with other features (aliases, domains, etc) I think Fastmail is fantastic.

Also prefer webmail rather than client.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 08:03 PM   #43
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
As for the UI "incosistencies"- you can stick with an email client (that fetches offline) Why spend time and energy on an alternative when the primary service works just fine?
I think there's a good argument to be made that utilizing an email service with its own webmail and its own app cuts down on complications and also possible security problems. The more jumps between you and the actual email on the server the more possible points of failure and penetration points for hackers.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote