EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 29 Apr 2015, 05:20 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Have you heard of Libre or Abiword?

Someone just mentioned these to me. They are word processing alternatives for people who hate Microsoft.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Apr 2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Someone just mentioned these to me. They are word processing alternatives for people who hate Microsoft.
Yes. There's also Openoffice. Libre is officially named LibreOffice and is the most successful at the moment.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 04:57 AM   #3
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

By Libre being the most "successful," do you think that's because they're easiest to use, offer the most features, have the best PR, or what?

I'm always fascinated by so much that's available that's completely under the radar for most people.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 05:12 AM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
By Libre being the most "successful," do you think that's because they're easiest to use, offer the most features, have the best PR, or what?
Because it's free?

OpenOffice/LibreOffice have been around for a quite a while.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2015, 10:18 PM   #5
caulfield87

Quote:

I'm always fascinated by so much that's available that's completely under the radar for most people.
Because it's fully functional, a great alternative and ethical. I've been using it for years now and had no problem whatsoever with it.
caulfield87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 01:12 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulfield87 View Post
Because it's [....] ethical
How to tell ethical software packages from unethical ones ??? Only recycled electrons used, or what ?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 02:37 PM   #7
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are similar. They used to be the same project before they split up, and they still share a lot of code. LibreOffice seems to have more people backing it, so it gets new features faster.

Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice can read and write MS Word file formats (.doc and .docx) in addition to their native format (.odt). But when it comes to advanced features like tables, graphs, and annotation, there are subtle differences, and some features simply might not work. Also, they seem to render things slightly differently, so a 10-page document can end up as an 11-page document or vice versa. If it's important to you that your document looks exactly as you intended (e.g. it's your resume), you should not exchange files between Libre/OpenOffice and MS Word. Instead, use the PDF export function.

Abiword is a completely different program with its own file format, and has fewer features than the others. But it's very lightweight, so it's perfectly suitable if you just want to write some things and format it a bit, especially on an older computer.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 09:22 PM   #8
Adrian Bell

Give these a try:-
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...ffice_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2015, 02:08 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I had the pleasure (?) of working with "proper" MS Office documents in OpenOffice (Windows and Android). It was ok with straightforward text, but MS graphics and more complicated tables were rendered incorrectly (to use the family-friendly language) in OO.
I don't know whether LibreOffice would do any better.
Old 6 May 2015, 10:55 PM   #10
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
I had the pleasure (?) of working with "proper" MS Office documents in OpenOffice (Windows and Android). It was ok with straightforward text, but MS graphics and more complicated tables were rendered incorrectly (to use the family-friendly language) in OO.
I don't know whether LibreOffice would do any better.
Well, it depends a lot of the MS Office version. Try to prepare fancy formatting with Office 2013 and then try to edit it with an older version (eg. 2003) of MS Office. LibreOffice will do a bit better
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 02:30 AM   #11
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Try to prepare fancy formatting with Office 2013 and then try to edit it with an older version (eg. 2003) of MS Office.
Sometimes Microsoft themselves can't deal with their own proprietary (and not standard) stuff..
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 05:38 PM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Try to prepare fancy formatting with Office 2013 and then try to edit it with an older version (eg. 2003) of MS Office
It's nice to know that before I open a document in OpenOffice I need to pass it through two versions of MS Office...
Old 14 May 2015, 03:46 PM   #13
popples

I use Open Office. I find that Writer and Calc (the alternatives to Word and Excel respectively) work well.

One of the problems with Writer, is that it doesn't do a good job of handling images pasted into a document. Otherwise it works well, and is a good alternative to Word.

One of the problems with Calc, is that copying and pasting tables from a webpage into a spreadsheet doesn't work properly (like it does with recent versions of Excel). Otherwise it is very good. The layout is more like Excel 2003. It shares many of the same functions, but uses a semi colon instead of a comma for separating input values in these functions.

Here is a list of free alternatives to Microsoft Office, on the list making site L-Lists.
popples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 03:49 PM   #14
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by popples View Post
One of the problems with Writer, is that it doesn't do a good job of handling images pasted into a document.].
That's my experience too.
Old 14 May 2015, 08:26 PM   #15
kijinbear

Ever tried to open a PowerPoint file in LibreOffice Impress, or an Impress presentation in PowerPoint?

It's like trying to use a modern website with Internet Explorer 3.0

Despite lofty claims of compatibility, both of them are just plain retarded.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote