EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 May 2017, 01:02 PM   #421
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Yes, countdown to doom. And nowhere to hide. I don't like it either. But not everyone reads this forum and maybe they don't know.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 02:00 PM   #422
chickadee

When I received the message from FastMail, I promptly got sick to my stomach. I'd been hoping against hope that Rob Mueller would change his mind.

The "original" interface was the best--in fact, it was a masterpiece. It should never have been discarded like yesterday's newspaper.

(Incoming fire begins in ... three ... two ... one.)
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 02:04 PM   #423
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
(Incoming fire begins in ... three ... two ... one.)
ALL hands to battle-stations, take imminent shelter from incoming mortar fire...

joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 02:17 PM   #424
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
Yes, countdown to doom. And nowhere to hide. I don't like it either. But not everyone reads this forum and maybe they don't know.
Probably sick and tired of your (and a few others) constant moaning. It puts people off.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 01:09 AM   #425
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Walesrob,

You have an interesting definition of the words "constant" and "moaning."
l've never been trolled before, I'm flattered.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 03:44 AM   #426
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee
When I received the message from FastMail, I promptly got sick to my stomach. I'd been hoping against hope that Rob Mueller would change his mind.

The "original" interface was the best--in fact, it was a masterpiece. It should never have been discarded like yesterday's newspaper.
Yes when I joined fastmail the original interface WAS THE BEST but sadly stuff now in the world is all about getting worse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob
Probably sick and tired of your (and a few others) constant moaning. It puts people off.
How can text on a screen bother anyone??? (Its not like calling them and complaining with an analogue voice -- THAT WOULD BE ANNOYING!!)

AOL just blocked all access to thier AIM network from older clients and 3rd party clients ... I think they have tracking stuff in thier latest AIM client (Version 8) and they wanna make sure everyone is using it.......

I just got rid of the AIM version I had as it wouldnt let me connect anymore and I do not wanna use thier latest bloated garbage.... (I stayed with version 5.5.3598 for years because it was the last version NOT INTERGRATED with facebook)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 04:33 AM   #427
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Bandwidth

Before it goes away completely, I made some bandwidth tests, and I wanted to write the results down someplace I could find them in the future. This seemed like a good place.

To log in to the "New" interface and check my (empty) INBOX, it takes 635KB.
The same test with "Classic" consumed 319KB.
My SeaMonkey e-mail client used 14KB.

I wish I had access to the "Old" interface for a test.

Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 03:14 PM   #428
Tappahannock

Wow, I had forgotten just how much discussion and angst there was about the new Fastmail interface back when the whole brouhaha erupted. I remembered it had occurred, but the details had faded for me. Since I haven't followed the whole thing, I have trouble seeing whether the new interface has visibly evolved or is it still basically what it was in 2012. On the surface it looks about the same as I remember it, and there is still essentially zero customizability, just 3-4 set layouts and some minimally differing, unmodifiable themes. No skinning. But there may be a lot under the hood that has improved.

It's kind of ironic how FM started out having the indisputably most configurable back and front ends in the industry, and now it looks like the back end is mostly still there while the front end has become more-or-less the least configurable front-end in the industry. But nothing lasts, at least not if you don't run it on your own site. I'm sure there's a considered business argument for the way the product has evolved.

While I migrated the daily email I consider close and important back then, I've kept an account on FM with a few legacy addresses where I try to steer most of my high-volume-low-import correspondence and stuff from my "old life" -- plus one legacy client who generates a ton of registration forms, charge receipts, reports, etc. Occasionally I go in, sort it all, and do mass purges of what I can. Classic has been ideally suited to that, so I haven't followed the AJAX interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
no offense to anyone but times change, technology changes and i'm willing to bet those stuck on the classic interface are older people who simply don't like the change. personally i moved on from the classic type interface email services long ago. i prefer the "new" style.
None taken -- nor intended. Younger people, including younger adults, have a mental blindness to dimensions/dynamics of life and daily interactions they have not yet discovered. They simply don't recognize they are there and even have some trouble grasping when you try to explain. They look at a situation and think they understand what's happening in it; but when they look back at the same situation 20 or 30 years later, they have an OMG experience -- "THAT's what was really going on! How could I not see that?" There's no shame in this in-the-moment way of experiencing life; it's exactly how youth is meant to be and helps make some things more bearable. But it's why few adults become ready for leadership or decision-making positions until some time in their thirties or even forties. These things require big-picture thinking and perception, and the ability to see the big picture is the slowest to develop in the human brain. We all go through that.

Like everything else in your life, email fills a certain slot. You see certain ways to use it, probably based on dealing with one email at a time, probably in a fairly small volume (e.g. not hundreds or more of substantive ones each week), and you develop the perfect (for you) way to interact with it. And it's hard for you to conceive of radically different needs or factors. In fact, you may never need anything beyond what you do now. But intuitively you assume other people's needs are much like your own and interpret their actions and reactions through the prism of your own experience and nature. Couples counselors spend all day long helping people, especially younger people, come to terms with that fact of human nature and what it really means for interacting successfully with others.

You see how FM or any other site or app functions within your own personal situation -- not the probably more complex situation of "older" people you're criticizing as inflexible. Meaner people than I am would say it can take a decade or so for younger adults to start extracting their heads into the daylight.

So no offense taken. And none intended. I promise you'll see your own comment quite differently in another 10-20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
The 'classic' interface isn't going anywhere, in fact, that 'classic' interface is getting new features which are rolling out now alongside the 'new' interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Well that's kind of quibbling over semantics, but I can try to make it crystal clear. old.fastmail.fm is dead and gone (more info in this blog post for those that missed it). We now have three interfaces in production:

All are fully supported, and we have no plans to remove any of them.

I hope that's clear enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
Forever? Not just for some three-year-or-whatever transitional period that will end eventually? I notice the old old interface is gone now. I think this is why some people are complaining: They're assuming that classic will be gone after three years just like old, and I don't see any guarantees being made that they're wrong.
And the winner is... Random832. As he (and I, and surely many others) foresaw.

On EDIT: Final paragraph removed for NDA compliance.

Last edited by Tappahannock : 13 Jun 2017 at 04:31 AM.
Tappahannock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 09:54 PM   #429
chickadee

What a thoughtful post, Tappahannock. I admire how you put pen to paper (so to speak).
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2017, 02:46 AM   #430
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I am missing the obvious, but I see no way in 'settings' to enable forwarding in the classic interface, and if it is an available feature then I need to enable it for a family member, just for the next few weeks. Even though her account will soon cease to exist, there will be a month's gap when the old interface will be retired but her account will still exist for four more weeks after that, and she is concerned about missing incoming mail during that hiatus, since her current browser locks her out of using the new interface. (Yes, I know there are other ways she could check her mail without using a web interface, but she's never used anything but web mail, and she isn't about to start now for just a few weeks.)

So... am I missing something? Is forwarding available, and can it be enabled in the classic interface? If so, that would be useful for the four weeks between the demise of the classic interface and the demise of the account itself. After that, of course, all the rest is silence.

Many thanks.

Last edited by communicant : 13 Jun 2017 at 02:53 AM.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2017, 02:59 AM   #431
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
since her current browser locks her out of using the new interface.
locks out of the NEW UI? really? which browser and version is she using... it probably needs to be updated

unfortunately, the FM devs are not... well anyway the removed access to many settings from the classic UI as they back end code became incompatible with it..

log in to the New UI and under settings MAIL -- > RULES --> "New rule" button top middle of the screen..
rules for forwarding are number 2 on the list...

use "send a copy to" to specify the email address to send to... it will auto complete from your contact list lol and set the conditions at the top of that "New rule" form...

Quote:
cease to exist,
when yo say that what do you mean?? a FM account will cease to exist or another email account from some where else?

EDIT1:
btw if your curious.. you can see the FM Status page here:
https://www.fastmailstatus.com/
that shows the up times and last known down time and issue...
"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE" lol ;p the last issue was seen on "30 Mar 2017 04:46:55 UTC " so its been 1+ months since the last down time...

Last edited by joe_devore : 13 Jun 2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 01:54 AM   #432
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Your surprise is surprising, for it isn't exactly news that all Guest and Member accounts are being summarily deleted by Fastmail at the end of July.

And of course the classic interface is being 'retired' at the end of June, so that means a month will elapse between the death of the classic interface and the death of all Member and Guest accounts. That is the period mentioned in the post you replied to, during which my family member will not be able to check her account by webmail. (She is 'locked out' of using the 'new' interface because it has limits on what browser versions it will permit, and her browser is too old, so access is denied.)

Yes, I know, she ought to update it one of these days, but it serves her current needs and she sees no reason to dance to Fastmail's tune and timetable, especially since her Fastmail account is being involuntarily deleted in a matter of weeks anyway. It is interesting that there are many email providers, both large and small, that will permit her to continue using her current browser.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2017, 12:21 PM   #433
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Just logged into classic again... to make a "classic only" task!

Hi,

I will describe why I logged into classic interface hoping someone tech me how to make the same task on current interface.

Or maybe the FastMail crew make this feature work on current interface:

Someone who uses MS-Outlook sent me an email with another email inside. MS-Outlook encodes it in a way the current interface cannot show me the info inside the email wich is attached into the message.

But this issue is well known by fastmail programmers, because in the classic interface there is an option named "Save copy of attached message", wich solves it, creating a new message in the folder with the information extracted from that attachment.

Is there a way to do it in the new interface?

[ ]s
Dario
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2017, 02:51 PM   #434
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioMor View Post
...I will describe why I logged into classic interface hoping someone tech me how to make the same task on current interface. ... Someone who uses MS-Outlook sent me an email with another email inside. MS-Outlook encodes it in a way the current interface cannot show me the info inside the email wich is attached into the message. ... But this issue is well known by fastmail programmers, because in the classic interface there is an option named "Save copy of attached message", wich solves it, creating a new message in the folder with the information extracted from that attachment.

Is there a way to do it in the new interface?...
In the current (standard) web interface, when you receive an email containing an attached email it will appear at the bottom of the message. Other attachments will also appear in that same area at the end of the message. You will see a checkbox, a View link, and a Download link.
  • If one or more checkboxes are checked you will see Download Zip and Save buttons. These allow you to save a zip file containing all checked attachments to your PC or save the attachments to your Fastmail File Storage or a Dropbox account (which you have associate with your Fastmail account).
  • The View link shows the plaintext content of the attachment (such as an email).
  • The Download link downloads the attachment to your PC.
Also see:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...ransition.html

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2017, 03:18 PM   #435
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

ok, I created ANOTHER feature request ticket!

- folder-counts (right margin aligned, (NEW/total)
- Trash Folder's empty link...