EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Apr 2015, 09:58 AM   #16
Eireannach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
I know that, but I find their stance a bit hypocrite. Privacy is not binary, it's a spectrum........Also, domains for business is pretty much a must.
Which comes back to my point about "extreme" privacy.
Eireannach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2015, 02:20 PM   #17
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eireannach View Post
Which comes back to my point about "extreme" privacy.
There is a difference between informing authorities due to a subpoena and informing always when they request it. If thatīs extreme privacy then itīs what I need.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2015, 04:57 PM   #18
caulfield87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
I know that, but I find their stance a bit hypocrite. Privacy is not binary, it's a spectrum.

They accept payments made by paypal/credit-card. For the same reasoning they use to reject the use of own domains, shouldn't they allow only payments by bitcoin/money?
Payment info is not linked to a specific inbox and info about it is deleted after a week or so, permanently.

Quote:

They're not forcing people to encrypt the emails, they're however forcing people not to use their domains.
True, I found it a problem at first, but really, after a year of managing my domain, I decided to delete it and use just posteo's as hassle free. And there's really no problem, as people are always wondering WTF is this, if the domain is not gmail.

Quote:

Sure using my own domain might not be perfect, privacy wise. But I would still get to encrypt my e-mails and so on. I'd be better off using posteo with my own domain then any other provider..

Also, domains for business is pretty much a must.
Then use Posteo. If not, then there's mailbox.org, it's pretty much the same (also green energy etc.), just different interface and you can use your own domain.

It's a must if you're offering that kind of functionality.
caulfield87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2015, 05:20 PM   #19
Eireannach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
There is a difference between informing authorities due to a subpoena and informing always when they request it.
I agree but my point is that it seems to me that they are going out of their way to avoid holding data.

Last edited by Eireannach : 27 Apr 2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Clarify post
Old 12 May 2015, 11:20 PM   #20
jl66
Essential Contributor

Good article about Dane from Posteo:

https://posteo.de/en/help/how-does-d...rease-security
Old 13 May 2015, 04:17 AM   #21
Eireannach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
I am moving to them, I like the new features.
I understand what 17pm is saying, FM is very fast and Posteo is slow with Roundcube but not all is about being fast, and I prefer Posteo, FM has dissapointed me.
Hi jl66 - just wondering how you have fared out with Posteo now that you have been with them for a month ?
Old 13 May 2015, 03:33 PM   #22
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eireannach View Post
Hi jl66 - just wondering how you have fared out with Posteo now that you have been with them for a month ?
Very happy with them. I have added some more aliases (itīs not expensive), only using the browser to avoid normal attacks coming from pop/imap, loving the EV certificate and using the dane extension to know that nobody is spying my communications, email encrypted, calendar and contacts encrypted, a filter to send me a message (from posteo, not from my email or aliases) to another email I use in my mobile phone telling me what I wanted to receive ("You have new email in Posteo"), using pgp with "mailvelope" in the browser and no problems receiving from another emails.
Something I donīt like very much is that the new Rouncube version that they are using has some problem with privacy if you want to use all the features in Roundcube: you canīt disable dom.storage.enabled in firefox, but even if you disable dom.storage you can use the email perfectly but with some few limitations (when you send a message you donīt come back to the main window, you canīt use the options to mark some emails, etc).
But yes, every email service is different to every person, but I think I found what I was looking for
Old 13 May 2015, 04:52 PM   #23
vazwaz

I have been with them just over 6 months now and agree they are awesome
vazwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 06:00 PM   #24
Aron

It's a brilliant move, in these times very necessary. To me the encryption method sounds similar to Tutanota's and Protonmail's, but only for storage.

BTW: Tutanota also uses Dane: https://tutanota.de/blog/posts/dane-everywhere
Just waiting for the custom domains.
Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 08:45 PM   #25
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

posteo seriously looks/sounds like the almost perfect provider, but not supporting own domains... God damn it.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 12:27 AM   #26
north

maybe posteo offers good technical solution, but please keep in mind, they cooperate with radical left wing organisations in germany. ( http://blog.freiheitstattangst.de/bundnispartner-2013/ (proof: https://goo.gl/Vl59tJ ).

Last edited by north : 22 May 2015 at 03:10 AM.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 02:12 AM   #27
Eireannach

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
.........they cooperate with radical left wing organisations in germany. ( http://blog.freiheitstattangst.de/bundnispartner-2013/ ).
I have seen similar posts from you regarding other providers but what evidence do you have to permit you to say that posteo "co-operate" with radical organisations ?
Old 14 May 2015, 03:05 AM   #28
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
maybe posteo offers good technical solution, but please keep in mind, they cooperate with radical left wing organisations in germany. ( http://blog.freiheitstattangst.de/bundnispartner-2013/ ).
Forum Rules:

L) No discussion of religions or religious philosophies, cultural differences, sex, sexual orientation, freedom of speech, politics and governments. No links to sites or pages specifically about these topics.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 04:47 PM   #29
gorka

There's always a level of privacy one needs... I'm really looking for something good which I can use with my own domain. Any suggestions?
gorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 10:18 PM   #30
konstantinklein

Wide spectrum

Quote:
maybe posteo offers good technical solution, but please keep in mind, they cooperate with radical left wing organisations in germany. ( http://blog.freiheitstattangst.de/bundnispartner-2013/ ).
Partially true - if those on the list were organisation cooperating with Posteo. However, the list contains organisations supporting the "Freiheit statt Angst" campaign - which in itself is pro-privacy and pro-encryption, but much broader than left-oriented.

On the list are organisations from very different parts of the political spectrum. "Junge Liberale" aren't "liberals" as used in the U.S., but rather the youth organisation of the rather right-wing FDP party (although, party members would prefer to consider themselves libertarian, such as Ron Paul, the father of Rand Paul). Also, "Verbraucherzentrale NRW" is something like the Better Business Bureau of the German state of North Rhine Westphalia, and DJV is the rather conservative German Association of Journalists.

Posteo, on the other hand, isn't even named on the list.
konstantinklein is offline   Reply With Quote