EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:02 AM   #1
celia

Really fed up

I subscribed to fastmail for several reasons, not the least of which was its ability to operate from Outlook on my computer. Thinking I had found the perfect e-mail system, I sprang for the enhanced version. I shouldn't have been so hasty.

After a couple of tries, I was successful in making my fastmail account the default in Outlook. I even used it successfully several times to send and receive e-mail. Today I tried to send an article I've been working on to my editor. I tried five times. The e-mail simply won't go through. I get an error message about servers, etc.

While it's great to be able to come here and explain the problem I'm having, it would be much, much nicer if I could figure out what the problem was. Since it worked before, I can't help but wonder what in the heck happened to cause this glitch and how often should I expect this to happen? Is it going to take another long formula to fix the problem? (I'm getting quite fed up with the formula thing.)

I'm quickly running out of patience. I've seen several posts telling me that I don't have to be a computer programmer to figure this out. Let me tell you folks, the learning curve on this is ridiculous. I've been a good sport, and tried to learn how to make this thing work. I'm cranky that it's not working and I'm cranky about the amount of time I will have to invest to find out why.

Celia
celia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:11 AM   #2
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Celia,

Sorry to hear something is not working for you. I haven't got the slightest clue why it's not working, but if it's REALLY important to get it sent out ASAP then you might want to use the Web Interface for once, sending it through there, and then send a mail to support AT fastmail DOT fm. If you're an enhanced member, as you said, you will get premium support, basically meaning that Rob/Jeremy will get to helping you out before doing anything else.

I sure hope this one problem won't make you leave Fastmail.

BTW: About the learning curve, I'm a 15 year old, and I'm not a native english speaker. Still even I managed to set up my account using some basic rules and filters, use subdomain folders and I'm in love with Fastmail.

==Kander==
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:18 AM   #3
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Celia,

Proper configuration of OE as an IMAP client is fairly straightforward and is documented clearly in the FAQ. And it works perfectly with FastMail. It does not involve formulas or programming.

I would suggest going through the FAQ again step by step. (And actually, the OE setup for FastMail is really the same as the OE setup for any IMAP account -- it really isn't any different). Then if you are still having trouble, post the problem details here verbatim and you will likely get a speedy and helpful answer from forum members and/or FastMail staff.

However, if you are having trouble using OE with FastMail, you are going to have the same problem using OE with any other IMAP provider. It just needs to be properly configured (once) and then you are set. Usually it is a small detail that is wrong.

Hope that helps somewhat.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:21 AM   #4
fmfan
Master of the @

celia,

Sent you PM re my Outlook Express settings - since you mentioned ' error message about servers ' - very likely just could be these settings.

Access via ' User C. P. ' very upper left this EmailDiscussions.com web page - may have to add me, though don't think so.

If this doesn't help, best to send more detailed message - actual error messsage to
' supportATfastmailDOTfm ' per kander's suggestion.

Most likely can't do much more w.out more info.

Since you have an Ehanced Account, should get VERY quick response!
I don't have Enhanced and have always gotten rapid, informative and kind replies, nevertheless.

Best Regards.

Last edited by fmfan : 3 Sep 2002 at 06:30 AM.
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 07:25 AM   #5
celia

This was the error message I was getting before.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'celia.elwell@ci.okc.ok.us'. Subject 'Re: Jury Instruction columns', Account: 'fastmail.fm ', Server: 'fastmail.fm', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <celia.elwell@ci.okc.ok.us>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I reinstalled it and this is the error message I'm getting now.
Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'fastmail.fm ', Server: 'fastmail.fm', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Command must be one of USER, PASS or QUIT', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

At least the error message changed.

Celia
Old 3 Sep 2002, 07:31 AM   #6
Si1
Cornerstone of the Community

FastMail does not support 'Secure Password Authentication' so uncheck this box under Properties > Servers
Si1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 07:50 AM   #7
celia

Okay. I deleted everything and started over from scratch. I had some problem with convincing my computer to accept IMAP rather than POP3, but it finally worked. Everything showed up on the screen just as the FAQ notes "Using IMAP with Outlook Express" said it would. I tried sending an e-mail to my backup e-mail address, and it wouldn't go through -- again.

This is the message I got this time around.
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'celia@legalfan.com'. Subject 'test e-mail', Account: 'fastmail.fm ', Server: 'fastmail.fm', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <celia@legalfan.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. I am reviewing the IMAP/External Mail Servers tips right now. Where do I go to get my computer programmer's degree?

celia
Old 3 Sep 2002, 07:54 AM   #8
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

The "relay access denied" suggests that your ISP may be blocking port 25 — try switching to port 26 and see if that works...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:02 AM   #9
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I wouldn't bother with port numbers, the error message came from the server.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:07 AM   #10
psalzer

I was hesitant to get into this one, because I can't really diagnose this kind of thing, but using their webhosting POP account, my daughter and her partner were getting the exact same error, also after it was working successfully for a while. It was a problem on their ISP's end. That, in fact, was what sent them to Fastmail. They elected for the simplicity of using the web interface because the ISP continued to be a problem for mail.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:37 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

See here:

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...eshooting.html

It looks like you haven't set up Outlook Express for SMTP authentication
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:57 AM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by celia
This is the message I got this time around.
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'celia@legalfan.com'. Subject 'test e-mail', Account: 'fastmail.fm ', Server: 'fastmail.fm', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <celia@legalfan.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
This almost certainly means you're not using authenticated SMTP.

Check out step 9 in the setup docs:

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/imap-oe.html

You must check the "'My server requires authentication" checkbox. You don't need to click the 'Settings' button.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 10:22 AM   #13
fmfan
Master of the @

Rob,

Sent celia exact settings needed for IMAP 2 hours ago - no response, but PM 'Message Tracking' indicates read - which would indicate problem in ' entering all the steps ' ...
otherwise ISP problem as psalzer indicates?

Following your referred to steps :
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/imap-oe.html
should work - maybe would work best if celia printed out what I sent or
your referred steps then entered as printed out?

As someone else said - would be same ' situation ' whether FastMail or any other email provider - all entries need to be correct - ISP provider needs not to be the ' problem '.

Part of, only part of, being a ' programmer ' is writing all the steps, in the right order, with no typos. Another part is doing it over and over til no ' bugs ' - hopefully before you release the work!

Last edited by fmfan : 3 Sep 2002 at 10:38 AM.
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:29 AM   #14
celia

Thanks again for all the valuable advice. I noticed that, even though I followed all the steps according to the instructions, it switched over to POP3 even though I had set it up for IMAP. I was getting frustrated, so took a laundry break. I just sat back down and checked -- back at POP3 rather than IMAP.

I deleted that, and started all over again. So far, it looks as if IMAP took this time around although I cannot explain why. I agree that you have to follow the sequences, but your tips have been very useful. I've got my fingers crossed that the crisis is over.

I really want this e-mail to work out. It's a shame that there's no way to set up an e-mail account as your default e-mail and still be able to access it from other computers, such as my work computer. I know that there are such things as back doors and all that. Our IT people did that with their home computers and infected the entire network. Back doors became a bit unpopular after that.

celia
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:32 AM   #15
celia

fmfan -- I did receive something but wasn't sure what it was. Remember to use small words and short sentences when you're writing to me. In other words, talk really slow to make sure that I get it! I clicked on one of the links, but the other wouldn't open. Thanks for trying!

Celia