EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Feb 2022, 12:48 AM   #16
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Was it a short address as mentioned by TenFour? If not you've been unlucky, it's been working fine for me . . . so far.
It was of six letters and not an everyday word.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2022, 08:22 PM   #17
nicp

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Do you know how to change the destination email?
Just email support@duck.com from your old/current email address and let them know the new email address.

Eventually you will update it from the DDG browser app.
nicp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2022, 09:06 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

DDG's tracker-blocking email is now available to everyone: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...ne/?comments=1
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2022, 06:24 AM   #19
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicp View Post
Just email support@duck.com from your old/current email address and let them know the new email address.

Eventually you will update it from the DDG browser app.
Changing your forwarding address is available now in the app, extension and browser. And also removing your account.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2022, 06:29 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

I was able to sign up for a short and distinctive email address. The forwarding to Gmail is quick, and I can just hit reply and my response is sent using the Duck address. I checked the headers and there are no clues as to the Gmail address I am using. With the extension you see a little Duck symbol in any email field and you can choose to use either your main Duck address or a one-time address. Very simple and neat. All free too, at least so far.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 09:53 PM   #21
TenFour
Master of the @

Suddenly within the last week almost all mail forwarded from duck.com go straight into my Spam folder in Gmail. I keep reporting "Not spam" but has not helped so far.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 09:54 PM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Suddenly within the last week almost all mail forwarded from duck.com go straight into my Spam folder in Gmail. I keep reporting "Not spam" but has not helped so far.
Have you asked this question in the Gmail subforum? It sounds more like an issue with Gmail than an issue with Duck.com.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2023, 10:41 PM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

It got so bad that I switched duck.com to forward my emails to a non-Gmail address which I monitor.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 01:17 AM   #24
Foxx

When this email-alias service was announced, I was very keen to get started.
It was from a very trusted site, with a good domain, and a unique feature of blocking trackers.

Unfortunately this was not the be-all end-all of an alias service to me.

First of all, I don't like that they kept a waiting list.
This made the service feel unnecessarily "exclusive".

You were also forced to install their phone browser, just to sign up for the waiting list.
I get that they're trying to push their browser, but this just doesn't feel right to me. I've been with Firefox for too long to hop around these days.

When I finally got my invitation link, I was bummed to see that there was pretty much no way for managing your alias, other than the browser extension. Not even a webpanel of sorts.

I didn't end up getting much use out of this alias.
Personally I'm wanting a unique alias for every site anyways, and since DDG only offers 1 alias, it's already over once you're breached once.

Furthermore, it seems that email-providers have now started to implement their own "tracker blocking" anyways, so the one thing that made this unique, has vanished now.

I guess, if you like the @duck.com, you can still gain something from this.
But if all you're after is a short domain, there's sites like hey.com and my.com, which are both shorter and more general.
Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2023, 05:31 AM   #25
TenFour
Master of the @

You can create a new alias any time you need one with DDG. I've created multiple ones for various subscriptions. Use the DDG extension in Firefox or Chrome or the DDG app to create new aliases. By the way, Gmail has stopped sending my DDG aliases into the Spam folder. Gmail does seem to actually take action when you report some address as Spam or Not Spam.
Old 26 Jul 2023, 01:45 AM   #26
Foxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
You can create a new alias any time you need one with DDG.
Got it, thanks.

Seems there has been a shift in how the service operates.
I'm fairly sure you were only able to have a private address back when I tested it.

If DDG does offer an unlimited amount of aliases, and allows for reply-from-aliases, I take back my stance, and definitely will give this a recommendation.

Personally I'm using a custom domain, and I like to generate my aliases with <forename>.<surname>@<domain>, just because it looks less "spammy", so I probably wont be finding a use for the service.
But I'm happy to hear that it's a valuable contender.

Email aliasing has become an important part of securing your inbox, and the more trustworthy companies the merrier.
Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2024, 10:10 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Enlighten me. It seems to me that generating multiple aliases at your own domain only gives you part of the benefit of using aliases. You get the ability to block an alias or just delete it to prevent spam from coming in, but it seems any half-intelligent spammer or hacker would just look at how you are creating your aliases and then guess how to make one that would reach you. Plus, they might be able to learn a lot about you by searching for the contact information for your domain or just by doing a general Google search. Seems to me if you want to go to the trouble to use aliases they should be at a domain that can't be tied directly to you, like XXXX@duck.com.

Update: DDG aliases have been working great so far. I wish there was a way to change the forwarding address without receiving an email at the forwarding address. If for some reason you lost access to the forwarding address you can't change it in order to still keep receiving the DDG aliases.
Old 24 Feb 2024, 02:10 PM   #28
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have owned my own personal domain for about 25 years and used it for email over that interval. I have usually used a wildcard alias acceptance, which lets me see what spammers and phishers are sending to my domain. Many years ago I would see some dictionary attacks to random usernames and common user names. But this is very rare now, and nearly all of the spam I’m receiving fits into one of the following categories:
  • Messages sent to aliases I use now or have used in the past which I commonly use and so can eventually be discovered. Such email addresses are on my retirement business card, websites, newsletters, and the vast majority of the email I send each day.
  • Messages sent to aliases I specifically created for one particular use (such as a bank or other company) which is unusual and has not been released to anyone else. If I get spam to such an address, i know for sure that it was obtained by that company somehow releasing my address by selling it or (more likely) a security breach at that company or (often) an advertising partner.
  • Mistakes - I get both spam and non-spam normal personal and business emails sent to my domain name with an incorrect TLD. My domain is not at .com, and people continue to send me messages which should go to someone at the corresponding .com domain. The username (part to the left of the @) is actually used by a person, but at a different domain.
How do I know this with high reliability? It’s because Fastmail has a feature which allows you to file all email sent to an alias which does not match any existing alias into a particular label or folder. So I have a “wildcard” label (similar to a folder) which only receives emails sent to an alias or subdomain which I have not configured.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2024, 03:26 AM   #29
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I get both spam and non-spam normal personal and business emails sent to my domain name with an incorrect TLD.
I'm lost here.... If a domain has an incorrect TLD, it isn't your domain, so how do you get messages sent to somebody else's domain?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2024, 05:23 AM   #30
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
I'm lost here.... If a domain has an incorrect TLD, it isn't your domain, so how do you get messages sent to somebody else's domain?
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. My domain is {name.net} and I'm in the US. Some persons in Great Britain seem to have email at various aliases at {name.com} -- email at that domain is now provided by Hover.com. What seems to be happening is that someone entered the email address at my domain {name.net} in their records, so that I'm receiving email intended for some username at the {name.com} domain but sent to my domain instead. Some of the emails I receive seem to be mistakes (such as email intended for students at a university) while others seem to be spam intended for UK persons sent from a server in France.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote