EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 3 Jan 2015, 05:03 AM   #1
EddieC

Backing up to prevent e-mail loss from a Thunderbird upgrade (from v3 to v34!)

A friend is using his Fastmail on an very old version of Thunderbird (v3) because he never did updates since '08! And I have offered to help him (I also use Fastmail.)
Now TB is on v34, the upgrade from 3 to 34 is not going to be considered as an update and so will require v34 to be downloaded and installed seperately (i.e. not an update.)
He has nearly 1 GB of mail in his e-mail account (from checking his webmail) and I am worried that if in the process, that it all goes wrong, that all of his e-mail will be lost.
To backup the mail up prior to doing his operation, I could download all of his e-mail to my client (Maill.app - OS X) and then disable this account, and then perform the upgrade on his machine.
If this works out, I won’t want the backed up e-mail on my machine and so would be tempted to deleting the account sometime after the operation. Would this then delete his e-mails on his server? I think it would.
The safer way would be to install TB on my machine (for the sake of having a separate client) and download the e-mails. However, if I uninstalled this TB install from my machine in the near future, would this have the effect of deleting the e-mails (ie does a client uninstall equate to a deletion of an account?)
He is operating on an IMAP basis.
Or is there an easier way of backing up e-mail in TB 3?
Thank you.
Ed
EddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Uninstalling Thunderbird will not usually remove the profile (I think you may be asked to chose). The new version should then pick up the existing profile:-
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Upgrading_%28Thunderbird%29

However doing a backup as well can't hurt, instructions can be found here:-
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

If it is IMAP though, the email will still be on the server anyway, unless you do something foolish like deleting it.

As for advice on going from version 3 to 34 with the same profile, you may be better off asking if it will work without problems at the Mozillazine Forums:-
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2015, 06:15 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Don't use a Mac so can't offer any advice.

For Windows, I would recommend to back up:
MailStore Home

I would also suggest installing Thunderbird Portable on a USB flash drive, and see how that works.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote