EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Dec 2004, 09:25 PM   #1
kpuru

Cool For everyone's benefit... (Sieve / Plus Addressing)

There are a lot of queries regarding Duplicates when the mails are redirected... I am not sure if everyone has a solution now...

After a lot of R&D, I think I have found a solution. (As of now, it is working perfectly.. but I dont know for how long it will work)

With This, You CAN:
  • Redirect all the mail to another email address
  • Use plus+domain addressing
  • Get Rid of Duplicates...

You can use the following

Quote:
if header :matches "subject" "*" {
redirect "anotheremail@gmail.com";
}

if header :contains "subject" "cnet" {
fileinto "INBOX.geek";
} elsif header :contains "subject" "fwd" {
fileinto "INBOX.fwds";
} elsif header :contains "subject" "jokes" {
fileinto "INBOX.fwds";
} elsif envelope :matches "to" "*" {
fileinto "INBOX.*";
}

if header :value "ge" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" ["X-Spam-score"] ["8"] {
fileinto "INBOX.Trash";
stop;
}

The important line is the one in bold... It makes sure that plus addressing (Folder name fileinto is properly addressed esp if you have a domain)
kpuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

The line in bold fails (unless you have a * folder!?) and directs the message to your inbox.

What do you mean by "duplicates"? Forwarding messages twice or duplicates in the FM account?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:36 PM   #3
kpuru

The line in bold doesnt fail. I am using it quite well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel T here http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=30589
In this, you should use :matches, not :contains, otherwise the asterisk will be matched literally...

What I mean by duplicates is...

When a mail is sent to example.one@mydomain.com (with plus addressing and redirected to another email,
A copy is

1. filed in Inbox
2. filed in example.one folder
3. forwarded to 'another' email account.

Read this
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=27294
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:10 PM   #4
fmnewbee
Master of the @

Guest, Member, higher level needed for this?

Is this for the two highest level of service then?

trew
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by kpuru
The line in bold doesnt fail. I am using it quite well...
What it should do is file a message into the "INBOX.*" folder (which cannot be created from the Web interface) - does it do that for you?
I didn't mean "fails to achieve the desired effect", BTW - I was referring to the folder name being invalid.

Quote:
What I mean by duplicates is...

When a mail is sent to example.one@mydomain.com (with plus addressing and redirected to another email,
A copy is

1. filed in Inbox
2. filed in example.one folder
3. forwarded to 'another' email account.
Thanks.

Quote:
Read this
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=27294
I did

Trew: you must have a Member (or higher) account to be able to manually edit your script.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:29 PM   #6
kpuru

level...

you need to be 'member' or higher to access sieve...
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:42 PM   #7
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

I'd have to agree with Daniel. It would be great if fileinto "INBOX.*" works the way we want it to, it would make many people's lives (or at least their Sieve) more convenient Perhaps when Sieve variables extension gets implemented?
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 12:29 AM   #8
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

The duplicate problem is due to the way that fastmail creates sieve from the basic rules page. If you write your own sieve you can simply choose to do it a different way.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:00 AM   #9
kpuru

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bitequator
I'd have to agree with Daniel. It would be great if fileinto "INBOX.*" works the way we want it to, it would make many people's lives (or at least their Sieve) more convenient Perhaps when Sieve variables extension gets implemented?

Quite true. I am not sure when the sieve variable will get implemented. As of now, the above "Inbox.*" is working for me but only if you are use "matches" as part of the condition.

I have been wracking my brains for a solution for a long time... and almost tried everything said on this forum. I think this is as close as I wanted the sieve to be.

And yes, I have an enhanced account.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:03 AM   #10
kpuru

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel T
[b]What it should do is file a message into the "INBOX.*" folder (which cannot be created from the Web interface) - does it do that for you?
I didn't mean "fails to achieve the desired effect", BTW - I was referring to the folder name being invalid.
No it doesnt create a folder but some time back fastmail introduced a featured that a mail will be filed in the parent folder if the subfolder doesnt exist. So it files the message in the parent folder certainly.

I hope all this helps users on this forum.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 09:09 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Quite true. I am not sure when the sieve variable will get implemented. As of now, the above "Inbox.*" is working for me but only if you are use "matches" as part of the condition.

I have been wracking my brains for a solution for a long time... and almost tried everything said on this forum. I think this is as close as I wanted the sieve to be.

The solution given in the thread you quoted is a perfectly good one - you end the filing chain with else {keep;}.

keep causes a copy to go where +folder addressing would have put it. Fastmail's basic rules generate a keep next to the redirect, which is hit even when a filing rule is also hit, causing duplicates. The problem is that it is not possible to get a keep from fastmails filing rules - only a fileinto "inbox", which isn't the same.

The solution you posted is a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist when you write your own sieve. The thread you quoted was originally about basic rules, not sieve.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote