EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 18 Jan 2019, 03:34 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Excessive Spam

I receive some thirty or so spams per day on one of my email accts. I tried changing password to no avail. Is there anything else i can do to help reduce this amount ? I like this account and wish to keep it Thanks for ant help
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jan 2019, 04:18 AM   #2
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Arrow Try Pobox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I receive some thirty or so spams per day on one of my email accts. I tried changing password to no avail. Is there anything else i can do to help reduce this amount ? I like this account and wish to keep it Thanks for ant help
Hello,

What e-mail account are you using that is receiving the SPAM messages?

IF you are willing to spend some money, I have used this service in the past to deal with my SPAM issues:

https://www.pobox.com/

Run the e-mail account through Pobox's SPAM filters etc

Just a suggestion.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2019, 06:09 AM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks David for your response.My acct is an AOL that i have had a long time. I really don't want to spend any on it. Most of the Spam goes into my Spam folder. I then have to look through it for any good mail in it. I could type in the spam addy into a block this address folder but that is way too much effort. I could contact AOL and ask to change one letter in my address but doubt they would permit that. I have had thisv addy for probably ten or fifteen years
Old 23 Jan 2019, 09:37 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Is it worth keeping the old address for the few legitimate emails it receives? I have been using email since it existed and I have used and retired many email accounts over the years. What I do is to monitor the old account for awhile, maybe a month or two, and watch for any legit emails that I want to notify about my email change. That catches most emails. However, you inevitably will find someone tries to reach you long after you have abandoned an old email address. Frankly, I think the worry about losing touch with someone is not a big one. With things like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, websites, and Google it is generally pretty easy to find someone's new email address if you really want to. If you want to be found, just keep up a Facebook and LinkedIn page and people will find you.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2019, 10:21 PM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks again TenFour you have a good point,
Old 10 Feb 2019, 07:22 PM   #6
MikeMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post

This is a problem We all do have. People tend to use their e-mail addresses when registering to some websites and or buying some product, this leads to shady people harvesting millions of e-mails and then selling them to the advertisers or scammers who in return flood e-mail boxes with SPAM.

Best idea would be to use disposable e-mail addresses and not your own.

At least, this can dwindle down the number of SPAM messages
MikeMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2019, 11:32 PM   #7
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks MikeMarine for your rponse you bring up some good points
Old 10 Feb 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Spam is one of the main reasons I use Gmail. Despite having an account since 2005 I get almost no spam in my Inbox. Their filters are the best in the industry by far.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2019, 03:38 AM   #9
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks TenFour good to know about GMAIL