EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Feb 2017, 12:18 PM   #1
vibertc

configure "groups" in new interface

I am a happy five year user of so called "classic" interface.
As an old geezer that has difficulty learning new tricks, I am stumped at the task of placing addresses into a "group" package on the new system.

I had no trouble learning the old system and sure would like it to stick around for another two years or so to save me loads of anxiety. This switch is almost as distressing as being told by your boss that to keep your job you must learn French within a year.. Is there a move afoot to put the old geezers out to pasture in Australia?
vibertc
vibertc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Feb 2017, 01:42 PM   #2
dsemf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibertc View Post
I am a happy five year user of so called "classic" interface.
As an old geezer that has difficulty learning new tricks, I am stumped at the task of placing addresses into a "group" package on the new system.

I had no trouble learning the old system and sure would like it to stick around for another two years or so to save me loads of anxiety. This switch is almost as distressing as being told by your boss that to keep your job you must learn French within a year.. Is there a move afoot to put the old geezers out to pasture in Australia?
vibertc
I assume that you are in the address book.
  1. Click on a contact.
  2. Click on the Groups dropdown button on the tool bar above the contact detail. This will open a list of your groups.
  3. The currently assigned groups will have a checkmark. Click on a group to add to, or remove from, that group.
While the results are the same, the process is different. Rather than place an address in a group you now assign group(s) to an address.

When you click on a contact, the contact detail screen shows the assigned groups between the name section and the detail sections.

DS
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 02:12 PM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using the address book with groups

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

When you enter the address book, you will see the following features. Note that a contact can be a member of no group, one group, or multiple groups. So by placing a contact in a group you are just adding a group name tag to that contact. So a group does not act like a folder.
  • Group list at the left: This is a list of all of your groups.
    • In a new account with no groups defined, you will see two entries:
      • All contacts: Select this item to all all of your contacts, no matter which groups they are in.
      • No group: Select this item to see all contacts which are not a member of any group.
    • At the bottom of the groups list you will see a Create or edit groups link, which moves you to the same Groups setup page available in Settings.
      • Click this link and you will see the Groups setup screen, where you can create, rename, and delete groups.
      • Click the Create Group button at the top to create a new group. Click Save at the top to create and save the new group.
      • You can edit an existing group, either changing the name or deleting the group. Deleting a group in this screen does not delete any contacts.
  • Contacts list in the middle: This is a list of the contacts contained within the group you have selected at the left.
    • If you select All contacts you will see all of your contacts. If you select No group you will only see the contacts which are not assigned to any group. If you select a particular group name you will see the contacts contained in that particular group.
    • When you click New Contact at the top, a new contact is created in the group you have selected at the left. If you had All contacts or No group selected, the new contact is not assigned to any group. After entering the contact information, click Save or Cancel at the top.
    • You can edit any existing contact by selecting an individual contact and then clicking Edit, Groups, or Delete at the top.
      • Select an individual contact by either using the keyboard shortcut buttons j and k to move the greyu highlight down and up the contact list, or clicking the contact name with your mouse.
      • After you have selected an individual contact in either of these manners, the contact details are shown at the right. You can edit or delete the contact using the buttons at the top, or click Groups at the top to add or delete group membership(s) for that contact.
    • You can also select the checkbox adjacent to one or more contacts by using the mouse or the x keyboard shortcut to toggle the checkbox on and off. The checkbox at the top of the column of checkboxes toggles selection of all or no checkboxes. You can also toggle the pin on/off using the mouse or the s keyboard shortcut.
      • When you use the checkbox to select one or more contacts, the selected contacts are shown at the right. You can clear the selection (removing all check boxes) or manually change which contacts are selected. At this point you can perform several actions on this set of selected contacts using the buttons at the top:
        • Compose a new message to those contacts.
        • Change the group tags on all of those selected contacts at once. When viewing the Groups dropdown box, a check indicates membership by all selected contacts in that group while a hyphen - indicates membership by some but not all selected contacts in that group.
        • Delete the selected contacts. You should then see a popup visible for about 45 seconds or so which allows you to undo the delete action.
      • A tool at the top of the contact listing allows you to sort the contacts with the pinned contacts on top.
      • Another tool at the top of the contact listing allows you to sort your contacts by first name, last name, or company.
In addition to this system of selecting one or more contacts then changing their group tags using the button at the top, you can also just drag a contact with the mouse to a group in the list at the left. If you have several contacts selected using the checkboxes, you can drag all of them together to any group.

Groups are great for sending emails to multiple contacts. In the Compose screen, just click To, Cc, or Bcc and start typing groups (to see all groups) or start typing the name of the group. You can also combine these by typing the first few characters of groups, then a space, then the first few characters of a group name.
  • Once you see the group name or contact name you wish to use, use the up/down keyboard arrow keys then the Enter key or select the proper entry with your mouse.
  • After you select a group, all of the group member addresses will be placed into the addressing field. You can edit these addresses manually if you wish or add others.
So as you can see the groups feature can be used in many ways. You can also refer to the help system. Here is information on the address book (with a link to help on groups):
https://www.fastmail.com/help/contacts/usage.html

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 07:27 AM   #4
vibertc

configure "groups" in new interface

Thank you kindly folks for the reply DC & Bill.
I'll work on this solution later.
Now that I have discovered where to post my queries I'll surely have more to come
vibertc
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:24 AM   #5
vibertc

I was able to manage this perfectly with the excellent explanation @N5BB provided. Thank you Bill - - 73 de ve3hjv