EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 22 Jun 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

Exclamation 2013 Revived tread - Last 10 days gone...

The new server that we moved all our sites (including this one) to 10 days ago suffered a complete failure, so bad that the backups were affected too (I am taking this up with the hosting firm of course but it doesn't change the effect of the failure)

So the forum was restored to the 12 June 2013 version of the database, which is the "last known good" that was still accessible.

I can only apologise for all the great posts that were lost in the last 10 days.

(NOTE: to pre-empt certain questions, I can't supply more details about what when wrong than what I said above, mainly because I don't have those answers)
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jun 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

How unfortunate. I'm glad it's back up now, Edwin. Many of us were suffering from lack of hearing from our EMD friends.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 05:45 PM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I missed out too. i longed for EMD to be there.
A kind of habitual dependence I guess.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
How unfortunate. I'm glad it's back up now, Edwin. Many of us were suffering from lack of hearing from our EMD friends.
Indeed, I was missing my usual fix.

I've set up a Twitter account, so people can at least contact each other (if they want to!), in the event of any future forum downtime:

https://twitter.com/EMDiscussions
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 12:37 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

Great to have the forum back!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 01:38 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Today: I cautiously perused my EMD bookmark with bated breath. Good morning all
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 02:24 AM   #7
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Yes, very good indeed!
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Im sorry you had all these problems Edwin!!!!

This is a GOOD SITE and im sure your other ones are good as well

Thank you for getting things corrected!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 11:41 PM   #9
communicant

A few hours ago the site was down again, at least briefly. I confirmed this with isup.me, which showed the site as down. I don't know how long the outage lasted because I had to go off-line for several hours, and when I returned the site was back up again. Did anyone else notice this? Does it mean there are still server problems and the site could go down again at any moment?
Old 24 Jun 2013, 07:36 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
A few hours ago the site was down again, at least briefly. I confirmed this with isup.me, which showed the site as down. I don't know how long the outage lasted because I had to go off-line for several hours, and when I returned the site was back up again. Did anyone else notice this? Does it mean there are still server problems and the site could go down again at any moment?
Are you asking about this site before or after Edwin's message which started this thread after the site came back up from the backup? I have not personally noticed any failures since the start of this thread start.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Calendar stucks to 2012

The calendar problems where we spoke about before the last crash of EMD, are back.
Quote:
Dear Berenburger,

You are subscribed to the thread "Server problems - hopefully fixed now" by Edwin, there have been 3 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was Bamb0.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=66969

These following posts were made to the thread:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...985#post556985
Posted by: Edwin
On: 18th June 2013 10:22 AM

The calendar feature is completely pointless for this forum, frankly. I'll see about turning it off when I get the chance.

*Added: I've turned off the public calendar, so registered users can now only see their own private calendars, with their own events and a few holidays that are automatically listed. Birthdays no longer show up on the calendar. Unregistered and banned users, and users who've not yet confirmed their registrations don't have access to ANY calendar. Also, I've extended the validity of the private calendars so that they go beyond 2012...*

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...987#post556987
Posted by: Berenburger
On: 18th June 2013 03:52 PM

---Quote (Originally by Edwin)---
*Also, I've extended the validity of the private calendars so that they go beyond 2012...*
---End Quote---
A moderator still has to approve a post to your private calender. Not eligible, imo.

Last edited by Berenburger : 24 Jun 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes since the database WAS RESTORED to a point before Edwin added the extra Years it is reset to 2012..

I think his idea about making it PRIVATE only is a good one however i dont think anybody has abused the public calender.. (Some sites they do and the admin disables the whole calender! (Private also))

Public calender is good if someone wants to announce thier birthday w/o posting a thread about it.. (One good use)

Last edited by Bamb0 : 24 Jun 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 07:57 PM   #13
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Are you asking about this site before or after Edwin's message which started this thread after the site came back up from the backup? I have not personally noticed any failures since the start of this thread start.

Bill
I was referring to yesterday (Sunday). As implied by my use of the word "again," I was reporting a new brief outage, long after the return of the site following the major twenty-four hour outage. And as noted, I confirmed that the site was down with isup.me, so it was not just a glitch at my end.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:34 PM   #14
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Monday 24 June am (GMT): site unusually slow.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Edwin
 Administrator 

That's one of the perils of fixing something then rolling back to an older backup. The calendar is - or should be - re-fixed now!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote