EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,580
Pobox.com reviewed

]A nice description of Pobox.com (subsidiary of Fastmail) on HostingAdvice.com

Quote:
Trying to decide between Pobox and Fastmail? Both Fastmail and Pobox charge minimal fees (Pobox charges slightly more) to provide better technology and attentive customer support while preventing advertisers from accessing personal information.

Helen told us that ultimately, Pobox is focused on the creation and management of aliases, whereas consumers in nearly any other category would be a good fit for Fastmail.

“Pobox is ideal for consumers who want the Fastmail experience with the ease of creating a lot more aliases,” she said. “That’s possible with Fastmail, but it’s not front and center.”

Last edited by Berenburger : 18 Mar 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:09 PM   #2
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 639
Not sure you can say "POBox charges slightly more." POBox has three basic levels: $20, $35, and $50. Fastmail has three basic levels: $30, $50, and $90 per year. At the $50 level POBox offers 50GB of storage vs. 25GB for Fastmail.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2020, 12:37 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,291
The moral of the story is you'll get a better and more accurate review on EMD!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
The moral of the story is you'll get a better and more accurate review on EMD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Not sure you can say "POBox charges slightly more." POBox has three basic levels: $20, $35, and $50. Fastmail has three basic levels: $30, $50, and $90 per year. At the $50 level POBox offers 50GB of storage vs. 25GB for Fastmail.
Therefore, it's resp. 50 GB and 30 GB.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2020, 03:07 PM   #5
odedp
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Therefore, it's resp. 50 GB and 30 GB.
That's exactly why I've closed my Fastmail (enhanced) account and upgraded my POBox Basic account to Mailstore!
I need a lot of storage!
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2020, 09:38 PM   #6
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 639
Quote:
I need a lot of storage!
That's one reason this is a great time to clean up old email accounts, sweep away all those old promotional emails and reminders to pay your credit card on time, and delete most stuff more than a few years old. Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth it to automatically delete all emails older than say two or three years. Yes, once in a great while I do search for something really old, which is easy to do with Gmail, but not all that often. Maybe download an archive of everything to keep locally just in case you have a need to search for an ancient email.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2020, 10:00 PM   #7
odedp
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
That's one reason this is a great time to clean up old email accounts, sweep away all those old promotional emails and reminders to pay your credit card on time, and delete most stuff more than a few years old.
All emails like these go to trash and are deleted automatically after 30 days!
Every single email I keep, including the (very) old ones is important for me and should not be deleted.
I do a lot of searches which work quickly and yield precise results
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2020, 10:39 PM   #8
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 639
Quote:
Every single email I keep, including the (very) old ones is important for me and should not be deleted.
Unlike most of us! The problem I find is that many things I save or archive might be useful for say a year or two, but it is impossible to know for how long; therefore, I archive many things that I might need later at some point off in the future, but in reality probably not. As long as you have the space there is no real harm, but imagine the volume of storage all around the world that is basically just trash being stored "just in case."
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 01:13 AM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
All emails like these go to trash and are deleted automatically after 30 days!
Every single email I keep, including the (very) old ones is important for me and should not be deleted.
I do a lot of searches which work quickly and yield precise results
Me too, but for 'safety' my Trash is set at 1 year. My oldest archived email is from 1997. But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 05:55 PM   #10
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Me too, but for 'safety' my Trash is set at 1 year. My oldest archived email is from 1997. But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.
Similar(ish) here.

Trash set to 1 year.
Oldest email 2002
mailbox: 6.4GB of 30GB (there are a few attachments in there).
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 06:38 PM   #11
odedp
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.
As far as I know POBox Mailstore has 50 GB.
How come you have 54?
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:33 PM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
As far as I know POBox Mailstore has 50 GB.
How come you have 54?
It's what my app says: https://user.fm/files/v2-4b7bc6886d1...512a/Quota.png
Rounding difference?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:39 PM   #13
odedp
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
It's what my app says: https://user.fm/files/v2-4b7bc6886d1...512a/Quota.png
Rounding difference?
Good for you
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:41 PM   #14
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Rounding difference?
maybe you got extra space for recommending other users?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:45 PM   #15
odedp
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL
Posts: 1,605
Wink Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Good for you
I've just seen that I have 54 GB too!!
Maybe it has changed recently.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 07:47 AM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy