EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 22 Nov 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
browntown

Getting mail for addresses that aren't mine

Quick question:

Is there a setting to prevent my inbox from accepting 'to:' email addresses that aren't exactly mine?

Example: username browntown, I get emails for
brian
brian_foley
brian.smith
bright

etc. Pretty much any email sent to br******@runbox.com, I get their spam. BTW, this brian foley character really needs to stop worrying about how small his you know what is.

Thanks for the help.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Nov 2007, 10:48 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If you are getting email where you're email address is not in the "To:" or the "CC:" sections then it's because your email address was in the "BCC:" section which you won't see (hence the name Blind Carbon Copy .. BCC). This is very common for spam.

You could add filters to test the "To:" and "CC:" fields for your address. Something like this:

Order: "997"
Messages where: "To" "contains" "your_email_address" will be "saved to folder" "Inbox"

Order: "998"
Messages where: "CC" "contains" "your_email_address" will be "saved to folder" "Inbox"

Order: "999"
Messages where: "Header" "contains" "@" will be "saved to folder" "Spam"

This will move messages that don't have your name in the "To:" or the "CC:" fields to a folder called Spam.

You probably don't want to just delete these messages because it is possible that you could get legitimate email where your name was in the "BCC:" section and not in the "To:" or "CC:"

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
browntown

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately I have all runbox emails go through gmail before coming into outlook. Gmail catches 99% of the junk and puts them in spam already so adding another spam filter inline will do little.

I just thought that the runbox server was auto-forwarding to me because my username was the closest match. My college email server did that. Say John Smith's email at Cornell (Go Big Red) was js AT cornell. edu. If that was the only John in the directory (obviously not, just an example) email sent to john AT cornell. edu would be forwarded to him automatically.

Thought that was the case here, guess not.
Sorry for the diversion.

Mod: Fixed "live" email address to avoid spambots.

Last edited by Sherry : 22 Nov 2007 at 04:45 PM.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 10:46 PM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
No, Runbox does not do that. I'm surprised any organization would do that. To me that's the same as deliberately delivering postal mail to the wrong address because it's "close enough". You could be delivering sensitive information to the wrong people. They should reject the email if the user doesn't exist. That way the sender will know that it's an invalid address.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 07:55 PM   #5
ultra

Agreed, it's best for the server to reject immediately (with some 5xx status response), and not "bounce" mail (sending it back to the mail address of the "sender" as spammers use some other mail address most of the time, and all too often the "bounce" just increases the amount of junk mail zapping around the world).
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote