EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Mar 2004, 06:00 PM   #1
rakhesh
Cornerstone of the Community

Downloading problem (file storage)

Hmm, I just uploaded this file to my private folder, and then clicked on the file to see if it downloads properly. But it doesn't! On the web interface, the file size is shown correctly as 61k, but when I download it, nothing gets downloaded (0k). I tried it for other file types too, as well as tried saving my attachments into the file storage and then downloading ... but the same problem happens.

Clicking a file is the correct way to download a file right? It seems to be coz it even asks me if I want to save the file ...

Thanks!
Rakhesh
rakhesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Sherry

Re: Downloading problem (file storage)

Quote:
Originally posted by rakhesh
Clicking a file is the correct way to download a file right? It seems to be coz it even asks me if I want to save the file ...
Yes, clicking on the file should bring up the Save As window (IE). After you click on save, does it get saved with 0k or doesn't it save at all? Maybe, if you look at the status bar at the top, it might say what is happening?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:11 PM   #3
rakhesh

Well yes, the status bar just goes -- zoop! -- to 100%! But when I check the downloaded file, it is 0kb. I am using IE 6 on Windows 2000. Later, from home, I'll check if this is the case with other browsers ...

Is it working fine for you?

Rakhesh
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:42 PM   #4
rakhesh

Hmm, I'd also like to add that I can't select all files either. As in, I can select all files using the SHIFT method, but when I click the checkbox on the utmost top (which I figure is there for selecting all files at one go), nothing gets selected. Some browser problem?

Rakhesh
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:37 PM   #5
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by rakhesh
Later, from home, I'll check if this is the case with other browsers ...
Rakhesh
Is it possible that your employer or wherever you are doesn't allow downloading files??
ReuvenNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:08 AM   #6
rakhesh

No ... I have downloaded plenty of files at work! ... (and it would be kind of strange if my employer has blocked file downloading and I didn't know of it, coz I am the IT incharge there ... hee hee!)

I tried with Opera and Firefox on my Windows XP machine at home ... things work fine there ... I also tried with IE 6 there, but the stupid browser is playing traunt with me and refusing to load any pages ... sigh. Crazy!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:23 AM   #7
Sherry

It could have to do with other things happening. The following is a similar problem only with .zip files.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=20031

Richard said, when the File Storage was moved, a few bugs showed up. He's fixing most now so maybe your problem will be fixed. You could try the Beta server, to see if that works. (the bugs are only on the production server)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:22 PM   #8
claven

Rakhesh -

I just tried downloading one of my existing files and I got the same result as you did.

I learned something from trying to download zip files through the storage feature. Does the file you're trying to download have spaces in the name? Rename the file so that it doesn't have spaces in the name anymore, then try it again.

I don't think it was working this way before. To me, the lack of consistency in the file manipulation feature greatly the speed and convenience of the function. I can upload filenames with spaces, rename them with spaces, but I can't get them downloaded again without first changing the name to something without spaces!

claven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:42 PM   #9
rakhesh

Lightbulb

Yup, it seems to be a space prpblem. I renamed the file to without a space, and it downloads fine.

By the way, this problem is limited to the production server. On the beta server, downloading with spaces just works fine! (I actually started using the beta server today ... hee hee! ... so far I had never touched it, but I got hooked onto the file storage since yesterday, and so decided to give the beta server a shot today (since things seem to be working fine there)) ...

Richard is aware of this problem right?

Rakhesh
Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:52 PM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Richard is working on it.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:03 PM   #11
rakhesh

Thanks!
Old 23 Mar 2004, 04:40 PM   #12
rakhesh

The problem seems solved now!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:50 PM   #13
claven

Yay! One of Fastmail's best features helps to differentiate the product again: responsive support.

Thanks!

claven is offline   Reply With Quote