EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:22 PM   #16
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Another thing which has changed: email notifications now contain not only a link to the new posting, but also the full text of the posting which triggered the notification.
I'm not sure what to think of this, I'm sort of 60% against
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:25 PM   #17
David
Ultimate Contributor

Where do I 'mark all forums as read' after reading new posts?

Must say I liked the old forums better.... likely I will get used to what we have now
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:28 PM   #18
David
Ultimate Contributor

It looks like we have to navigate back to the main screen in order to mark all forums as read
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:33 PM   #19
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Look at the bright side: the forum clock is now accurate
OTOH still no 12/24h option....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:33 PM   #20
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
Er, maybe we should have a rollback to the previous version?M This one is looking (to me) more and more like a giant leap backwards.
To me as well. The only thing I see as an improvement is the increase in the number of stored PM's allowed, since I have a bad habit of not getting around to deleting old PM's, still having some going back two years or longer. But it seems like it must have been pretty lame programming to leave this "hard-wired" with such a low limit in the first place. Otherwise, in general, this version appears to me a HUGE leap backward. But if it prevents me from visiting as often and thus subjecting other members to fewer of my annoying posts, perhaps in the larger scheme of things it might be considered an improvement.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:51 PM   #21
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
this format seems to be much "busier" and much harder to read at a glance. The old format seemed to be cleaner.
Have to agree with is. I find the new format more difficult to read by a considerable margin.

But, this is most likely also true:
Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
I'm sure I'll get use to it
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:54 PM   #22
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Where do I 'mark all forums as read' after reading new posts?
The link is at the front page at the bottom of the forum section.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 12:19 AM   #23
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thumbs up Patience fellas.

Jeez, guys, give it some time. The new version of vB has incredible potential and is a lot better than the last...sites like WebHostingTalk prove this to be true. Just allow Edwin the time to get the kinks worked out and establish some of the cooler and more useful new features and you'll end up liking it.

Well done, Edwin! A much welcomed change! (I can still remember when we first went from BBB to vB back in 2001! Seems so long ago, hehe!)

Cheers to a work in progress!

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 12:40 AM   #24
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
The link is at the front page at the bottom of the forum section.
Yes it is - you used to be able to mark all forums as read from the page that showed them; now you have to navigate back to the main page.

But (as Trip says) it is wrong of me (and others) to complain. It's Sunday morning and I am just on my first cup of coffee. Likely the new structure will be great when we get used to it, and when Edwin adds all the stuff that still needs customising
Old 26 Feb 2007, 12:54 AM   #25
ReuvenNY

Change is always unnerving. I have to find my way around for tasks I instinctively knew how to maneuver with. But I always look at the bright side and am discovering vast improvements - one invisible important one is a better ability to find spam, the kind we have seen here recently.
So my suggestion is seat tight, take your time to familiarize yourself with the new look and feel and in no time it will grow on you
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 12:57 AM   #26
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I do agree it's made such a good improvement with the website - Well down Edwin it's so much clearer and easier to read now it's so nice to see.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:15 AM   #27
ReuvenNY

There was a similar thread that I was trying to merge with this one and I "managed" to delete a couple of postings... Apologies to the effected. If you posted there and do not see it here, please repost if you wish.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:42 AM   #28
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yes it is - you used to be able to mark all forums as read from the page that showed them; now you have to navigate back to the main page.
No, you don't. This can now be accessed from 'Quick Links' at top right
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:50 AM   #29
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Another forum I frequent updated a couple months ago and I still don't like it as well as the previous version. And if one feature which I always used in the previous version here, which I'm quite sure at least as of yet isn't present in this one, isn't restored, I seriously doubt I'll ever "learn to like it". To each his/her own, I guess.

I am glad if it's made it easier to catch spammers more quickly though, since that's been getting to be a more annoying problem lately.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 02:18 AM   #30
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Every time I read a thread, a 'reply' window appears at the bottom of the screen, taking up half the screen. In most cases I do not want to reply, so I consider it a waste of space. Is there a way to revert to the previous behaviour, where the reply window appeared only when explicitly requested (by clicking quote or reply) ?
Okay, I think that I found the answer to that.
On the right side of the " Quick Reply" bar there is an icon to hide the window.
The system seems to remember your choice.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote