EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Apr 2019, 04:18 AM   #1
Gankaku

Password Needs Reset - Second Time

Today I went to login to my Fastmail and couldn't get in. I had to reset the password. This is the second time in maybe six months this happened. It's very frustrating because I DO remember my password - and I have a password keeper that keeps this stuff too. So I'm not wrong in typing my password. It's getting reset somehow or something.

So now I have to wait 24 hours to get into MY email because the password was reset and I did not do anything to mess it up. I must get into a file I have in my email today. But now I cannot because of the 24 hour wait.

Is there some reason why this is happening?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Apr 2019, 06:44 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

One possibility I would consider is that someone else has been trying to access your account, messing things up in the process.

I have been using FastMail for well over 10 years (as well as helping many others) and have yet to see a random passport reset occurring. It is the kind of thing that is quite unlikely.

When you do get it, I suggest you carefully look over the account Access Log to see if there is suspicious activity.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps send Rob an email I am sure he will unlock it for you, I am sure you would have his address from way back, if not I can give it to you but wont post it on here.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2019, 12:08 AM   #4
brucealan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Today I went to login to my Fastmail and couldn't get in. I had to reset the password. This is the second time in maybe six months this happened. It's very frustrating because I DO remember my password - and I have a password keeper that keeps this stuff too. So I'm not wrong in typing my password. It's getting reset somehow or something.

So now I have to wait 24 hours to get into MY email because the password was reset and I did not do anything to mess it up. I must get into a file I have in my email today. But now I cannot because of the 24 hour wait.

Is there some reason why this is happening?
I think your Fastmail account may be blocked.
brucealan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2019, 06:35 PM   #5
snappy

I believe I had the same issue.

I have had an account with Fastmail since 2013 and have always used the same unique password to login.

On Mar 18th 2019 my account was suddenly locked out. All programs using IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV with separate application keys stopped working. When I logged in to fastmail from the web interface it prompted me to perform an account recovery because there were "security issues."

I managed to unlock the account and look at login failures. There were simply none in that timeframe. I contacted support and they said there was no record of the account being locked out, but they did notice I used the password recovery tool (which I did - to get the account unlocked).

The account lockout event is highly unusual and points to either an elusive security issue or something broken in fastmail. In any case this prompted me to use 2FA, even though I'm certain that my original password was never at risk.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Gankaku

Snappy. I think what you are thinking. I eventually was able to resolve my issue on my own by attempting again the next day after resetting the password and waiting 24 hours. I keep my passwords in KeePass. I do remember my Fastmail password and have 2FA on my account. But it's really weird that I could not get in twice in a year AND there was no suspicious activity, and I had to reset my password and wait 24 hours to get back in. Just posting what happened in case this is a subversive thing like Snappy mentioned. It just doesn't make sense that it happened.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote