EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Jul 2015, 07:48 AM   #286
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Supposedly Microsoft is offering companies incentives to migrate from locally hosted Exchange to O365.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2015, 11:09 AM   #287
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
No, you can change the official username when you set up a domain if you want to.
If I do buy O365 I'd want to keep that official username and send/receive email exclusively through aliases. That way nobody can hack my account if they have my alias address because it's not a real login. That's how I have things set up in FM, plus the automatic alias selection on reply makes it easy. I hope O365 didn't do the same dumb thing outlook.com did and and let people login using any of their aliases.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 11:16 AM   #288
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
If I do buy O365 I'd want to keep that official username and send/receive email exclusively through aliases. That way nobody can hack my account if they have my alias address because it's not a real login. That's how I have things set up in FM, plus the automatic alias selection on reply makes it easy. I hope O365 didn't do the same dumb thing outlook.com did and and let people login using any of their aliases.
Not the same issue, but I believe the headers will reveal your actual username though. Again, think simple. Exchange. If you want the total flexibility, then stick with FM. So my solution is to simply use 2FA with O365. Personally, I think it's safe. And apparently so does Microsoft. But unless you can figure something out that I can't, then you'll just have to accept that O365 won't give the flexibility that FM does in that regard.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2015, 11:24 AM   #289
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Dropbox for Business uses strong cipher encryption in transit and at rest, and undergoes regular SSAE 16 SOC audits with SOC 2 Type 2 and SOC 3 reports available.

https://www.dropbox.com/business/free-dropbox-trial
That's good to know. I was thinking of the consumer Dropbox. However, with Dropbox for Business -- the one with encryption -- the minimum charge is $750 (5 user minimum).
OneDrive for Business (which has encryption) can be purchased for a single user at about $60 per year. For 5 users, the cost is less than 1/2 that of Dropbox for Business.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2015, 11:50 AM   #290
William9
The "e" in e-mail

And for that price, Office 365 for Business with OneDrive has all of the other office apps and functionality such as the standard suite of online Microsoft Office applications, Exchange with business email, calendar, Delve, etc.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2015, 08:17 PM   #291
digp
Master of the @

But I don't particularly like the fact that onedrive for business is really sharepoint.

I do agree dropbox is overpriced.

But then Google can't be trusted, so who does that leave?

I may end up having to go for the $12 office 365 package so I can have the word app on my tablet as it is useful for work and for email unless I host my email elsewhere but then things are too spread out and I really want one place where I have everything work related. choices choices choices

It's a pity I can't pick and choose and pay for what I use.

If cost were the only or main factor google would win hands down as in the basic price you get google docs etc.

Last edited by digp : 26 Jul 2015 at 08:23 PM.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2015, 08:27 PM   #292
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
I would like to know what happened. I have never used Rackspace mail or Rackspace mail support. I have only used their Cloud Files and server programs. Support was outstanding! That has led me to consider Rackspace for mail hosting in the future.
You need to put in some support requests to find out.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 02:41 AM   #293
digp
Master of the @

Ok - having wasted most of the week on this, this is what I think is a solution:

1. Exchange Online Kiosk for Office 365 (just email) - it's $2 a month. (this gives you OWA, 2 gb space, activesycn and pop (no IMAP which I don't need anyway) as I will only use OWA or my tablet.
2. Office 365 personal or home premium (now I just need to find this at a reasonable price ahead of my upcoming renewal....)

It's a cobbled together solution but at a reasonable price overall although I would much prefer MS offer a sensible basic office 365 package at a reasonable price.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 03:54 AM   #294
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
It's a pity I can't pick and choose and pay for what I use.
Why not? Buy ala carte and get the best in class for each type of service. Many of them integrate, like your email being able to save or attach files to/from Dropbox.

I've never seen the O365 kiosk offering before. They do a good job of hiding it. Other than storage quota is it the same email as O365 Business Premium or something different (and probably inferior)? They don't mention domain support, and the lack of IMAP (though rather amusingly they offer migration from IMAP accounts) or Outlook client support is the kind of crap I'd expect from MS.

Last edited by randian : 27 Jul 2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 04:15 AM   #295
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Why not? Buy ala carte and get the best in class for each type of service. Many of them integrate, like your email being able to save or attach files to/from Dropbox.

I've never seen the O365 kiosk offering before. They do a good job of hiding it. Other than storage quota is it the same email as O365 Business Premium or something different (and probably inferior)? They don't mention domain support, and the lack of IMAP (though rather amusingly they offer migration from IMAP accounts) or Outlook client support is the kind of crap I'd expect from MS.
I wouldn't consider it 'crap'. It's an option. If you need IMAP and/or Outlook client support then go with the $4/month plan. The kiosk plan is meant for a specific type of user...if you don't match that then it's clearly not for you.

Last edited by cptlo306 : 27 Jul 2015 at 06:57 AM.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2015, 06:55 AM   #296
digp
Master of the @

Agree. I don't need IMAP so was able to go for the cheapest option. If needs be I can always upgrade. The kiosk option is hidden but obvious when you know where to look: sign up for a free trial, go to purchase subscription and scroll until you get past the usual office offerings and start seeing options like Azure, and Dynamics. Then look out for the Kiosk plan. It's ridiculously complicated.

In reality, I do not need office 365 apps, all I need is to be able to run Word on my tablet but for it to be of any use I need a office 365 apps subscription otherwise it only runs in "view" mode which is of very little use.

It may well be that as I have a few weeks left on my office 365 I may let it lapse and go for something like Drafts [ http://agiletortoise.com/drafts/ ] or at worst may fall back on Pages [ https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/pages/ ] but I don't know if that will suit my needs.

Last edited by digp : 27 Jul 2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 06:58 AM   #297
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Why not? Buy ala carte and get the best in class for each type of service.
Looked into it. Cost is a factor. Tried it. It's just unwieldy and at least O365 email works out of the box with my device.

I would / did consider Luxsci but they are priced out of the reach of the prosumer market.

Fastmail was an option but I have had delivery of email issues** which in fairness they have tried to resolve BUT the problem itself leaves a bad taste* although their handling of it was very good in the end.

* That one email in which say I accept a job offer, or something of that kind, and it fails to deliver........... I'd rather not risk it. If/when Fastmail introduce email delivery reporting (with reporting at user selected intervals) I will reconsider them.

** Gmail / Outlook.com etc had no issues at all on the other hand.

I could use Google but I consider them to be shysters.

Last edited by digp : 27 Jul 2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 07:06 AM   #298
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
I've never seen the O365 kiosk offering before. They do a good job of hiding it. Other than storage quota is it the same email as O365 Business Premium or something different (and probably inferior)?
It is the same email as O365 business premium as far as I can tell.

Quote is way lower (2 gb v 50 gb).

It is well hidden but it is their in your face if one looks very closely:

"Kiosk plans are also available for deskless workers."

https://products.office.com/en-us/bu...business-plans

Some other links which may be of use to others:

https://products.office.com/en-us/ex...xchange-online

https://products.office.com/en-us/bu...65-kiosk-plans
Old 27 Jul 2015, 07:26 AM   #299
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
O365 alias and domain support is vastly inferior to FM. You are right to be spoiled with FM's handling of domains... it's pretty fantastic. With O365 it's best keep things simple, linear in that department. I use it for one business domain, period. Clean and simple. I tried it with many domains, but ended up just simplifying since I can do so much more in FM.
Fair enough. So just what can you do with O365 aliases and domain support?
Old 28 Jul 2015, 04:43 AM   #300
ioneja

Quote:
Fair enough. So just what can you do with O365 aliases and domain support?
My suggestion is to fire up a free trial and use an extra domain you own and play around with it. Or buy a new domain and experiment with it. I can't describe the full list of features and lack of features in contrast to FM. But trust me when I say that it is not nearly as flexible as what you can do with FM. With O365 you are in the land of Exchange, and all the good and bad that brings with it.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote