EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:18 AM   #1
rbpickup
Master of the @

Representative of:
Truedomain.net
Forwarding Address

Would setting up a forwarding account (like pobox.com) solve many of the issues experienced by Fastmail users (I do have a paid fastmail account)? That way if you were forwarding email to another account/s the likelihood of the other account/s being down at the same time would be very small. This would also allow you the maintain a replicate backup account.

Robert
rbpickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:28 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Yes: I have used Pobox forwarding (and Fastmail or Tuffmail as my primary account) for three years now with no problems. I forward to one other place as well as Fastmail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:39 AM   #3
rbpickup
Master of the @

Representative of:
Truedomain.net
Hi David, which account do you use to send email?

Robert
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:49 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rbpickup
Hi David, which account do you use to send email?
I use the Fastmail web interface (mostly) Robert. Sometimes I use a client. I don't have a Tuffmail account now but I did try Tuffmail for a year. I switched back to Fastmail mostly because I wanted to use the Webmail interface (when on the road)

I switch the backup account to different places.....
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
rbpickup
Master of the @

Representative of:
Truedomain.net
Did you change your Fastmail personality to your pobox.com address so that when someone replies it goes through pobox.com and is forwarded to the different forwarding accounts you have setup?

Robert
Old 6 Sep 2006, 12:09 PM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Did you change your Fastmail personality to your pobox.com address so that when someone replies it goes through pobox.com and is forwarded to the different forwarding accounts you have setup?
I use my own domain name email address. My MX record is pointing at Pobox. I rarely use my Pobox aliases. The three free aliases that come with my basic Pobox account (at my own domain name) are sufficient for my needs. I rarely use my Fastmail aliases either.

So, I set my default personality (at Fastmail) to my primary alias (at mydomain) for over 90 % of my outgoing mail.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 12:19 PM   #7
rbpickup
Master of the @

Representative of:
Truedomain.net
Thanks David.

I set up my forwarding address (61421511933@inumbers.com) with both Fastmail (using my personality) and Gmail (under the account setting), that way I can send and receive from both of those accounts. Hotmail and Yahoo only allow you to set a 'reply to' address. Of course I am only referring to use of web-based email and not an email client.

Robert
Old 6 Sep 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Thanks David.
I set up my forwarding address (61421511933@inumbers.com) with both Fastmail (using my personality) and Gmail (under the account setting), that way I can send and receive from both of those accounts. Hotmail and Yahoo only allow you to set a 'reply to' address.

Robert
I use my Gmail account as my backup account most of the time as well