EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 30 Jan 2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
The return of Geocities?

I stumbled across this earlier this week: www.geocities.ws

Probably has been around for a longer time, but never noticed it. It seems mainly an archive containing copies of websites previously hosted by Yahoo's initial Geocities service. However, the article about geocities.ws said it also allowed to create and host a website there (which seems odd to me because if that were true, wouldn't this be much more widely known, given the popularity and fame of the previous Geocities?). I could be wrong but it mainly seems an archive of sites previously hosted by Yahoo's geocities.com

I am unsure though whether new website are or will be possible ; it would maybe not share a purpose anymore as there's so many free webhosts that have a decent reputation (Weebly, Wix, Jimdo, Wordpress.com, Google Sites, ...) ; those who want to pay for their websites have even more options but even those insisting on free hosting still have sufficient options. So other than archiving sites in order to avoid them being lost, I am not sure if a "new" Geocities would bring any added value.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Feb 2016, 04:11 AM   #2
mister
Essential Contributor

https://neocities.org/ not the real geocities but close
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Has this been around for a long time? I've never heard of them before. When it comes to free webhosts, the ones I see occur very frequently are Weebly.com, Jimdo.com, Wix.com, and in some European countries also host.sk and everyoneweb.com (the first three ones seem to be used globally)

Wordpress.com too of course if you consider that to be a free webhost rather than a free blog host.

Never heard of NeoCities before. How long have they been existing? Did you use them personally and have any positive/negative experiences with them to share?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2016, 03:18 AM   #4
mister
Essential Contributor

I signed up and tried it.Didn't like it,anything beyond point and click for a simple site is too much effort for me.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Mike Blake

Since 2009, this site has had an archive of GeoCities up:

http://www.reocities.com/
Mike Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2016, 12:22 AM   #6
sterdeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blake View Post
Since 2009, this site has had an archive of GeoCities up:

http://www.reocities.com/
Great link, thanks. But they unfortunately didn't have my website backed up.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2016, 06:44 AM   #7
savit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Has this been around for a long time? I've never heard of them before. When it comes to free webhosts, the ones I see occur very frequently are Weebly.com, Jimdo.com, Wix.com, and in some European countries also host.sk and everyoneweb.com (the first three ones seem to be used globally)

Wordpress.com too of course if you consider that to be a free webhost rather than a free blog host.

Never heard of NeoCities before. How long have they been existing? Did you use them personally and have any positive/negative experiences with them to share?
Neocities.org is easy to use. There are tutorials on coding. You get a free yourdomain.neocities.org and custom domain with subscription.
I am trying various static website hosts for my personal site and came across it.
savit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2016, 08:14 AM   #8
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

But are they related?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote