EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 9 Jun 2010, 04:09 AM   #1
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

Advantages of Runbox over Fastmail?

What are the advantages you Runbox users may see over Fastmail? I don't want to get into FM bashing, I'd just like to hear why you prefer Runbox over FM. I'm a FM user, and am looking for a change.

Thanks,
CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jun 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
che

I don't see any! In my opionion FM is far superior ... unfortunately. Runbox: no sieve, no webdav, no ldap, is their new imap server after several years still beta? What do you miss? What are you looking for?

Anyway, why don't you sign-up for a 30day free trial . :-)
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

I did signup for a free trial a few days ago
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2010, 10:58 PM   #4
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Not really an advantage but a differentiation would be Runbox's hosting thrown in to make a relatively cheap package.

Also, depends on who's looking but mini-sub account is very cheap and feature complete.

And IMAP was promoted from beta around a year or two ago....
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
It depends what you're looking for, but one way to compare the two would be in terms of simplicity and breadth: While Fastmail may offer more advanced email functionality, Runbox is simpler and sleeker, more user-friendly, and includes a wider set of services including full-featured web hosting with the cPanel control panel.

Beside the service itself, you might be interested in learning that Runbox is a small, independent company operating in Norway under very strict privacy regulations and consumer rights, which we have taken great care to express in our Terms of Service.

For more about our services, please see Runbox Feature Overview and Runbox Web Hosting.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 04:33 AM   #6
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
...Beside the service itself...
- Geir
The service which often breaks down?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 06:35 AM   #7
RunboxCustomer

I switched to .Rrunbox because it costs me approximately 1/2 of what Fastmail charges and I get a lot more storage space.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:21 AM   #8
liteswap

I switched from Runbox to FM because it worked. Runbox's IMAP seems still to be broken: my partner stayed with Runbox and she's struggling with it as I speak, waiting for minutes for emails to download.

I waited loyally for two years for Runbox to fix this before switching two years ago. I find it incomprehensible that it's still broken.

I also think the Runbox web interface is looking tired by comparison....
liteswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:21 PM   #9
bipbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteswap View Post
I switched from Runbox to FM because it worked. Runbox's IMAP seems still to be broken: my partner stayed with Runbox and she's struggling with it as I speak, waiting for minutes for emails to download.

I waited loyally for two years for Runbox to fix this before switching two years ago. I find it incomprehensible that it's still broken.

I also think the Runbox web interface is looking tired by comparison....
Just signed up with FM to have a look. The interface design looks not that much different from Runbox's. Interestingly, one can load external style sheets. But it doesn't seem like there's an easy way to load a new. By easy I mean easier than copy into editor, save file, then import into FM. The two first actions shouldn't be necessary, IMO.

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/quick_t...tylesheet.html

Not too impressed with that.

Both FM and Runbox could take a hint from Apple:
http://basshead.files.wordpress.com/...ileme-mail.jpg

A simple, clean, yet stylish interface.

Last edited by bipbop : 15 Aug 2010 at 12:39 PM.
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
liteswap: We'd appreciate more details regarding the IMAP problems you've been experiencing. We also have some updates in the pipeline that should improve overall IMAP performance.

- Geir
Old 19 Aug 2010, 12:14 AM   #11
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
bipbop: Thanks for the suggestion -- Apple's MobileMe interface is simple and sleek, but not exactly exciting (to the extent that's what one is looking for in an email service ).

It's not been that long since we upgraded our Webmail interface but we're always looking for suggestions to make it better, and we will continue working to gradually improve it.

- Geir
Old 19 Aug 2010, 12:16 AM   #12
liteswap

bipbop: I guess for me one of the most important things is how well an email IMAP server interfaces with my email clients. And with FM, it's very good. With RB it really wasn't, sad to say. And now I see the same experience I had being repeated with my partner. Sad really. The prettiness of the web interface is a low priority for me, frankly.

Geir: sorry - I quit RB a while back, after two years of hearing talk of updates in the pipeline that would speed up IMAP and waiting for the reality to arrive. My partner is seeing slow updates, lots of emails that appear blank, and general lack of responsiveness. This criticism does not extend to tech support, which has been outstanding, I'm happy to say.
liteswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:04 AM   #13
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
liteswap: We would really like to know more about the problems your partner is experiencing, if they are still ongoing. The IMAP issues you're describing are not typical for Runbox and I'm sure we would be able to resolve them.

Thanks again,

- Geir
Old 27 Aug 2010, 01:19 PM   #14
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
FastMail's IMAP server is very good - we're running a pre-release copy of Cyrus IMAP that will become Cyrus 2.4 pretty soon. That said, there's nothing stopping Runbox using the same system, it's all open source!
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Our IMAP service is not in any way in Beta. We might add a Beta, but we havent had one for a very long time.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote