EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:16 AM   #1
dazco

free pop...whats the most reliable ones?

What are the most reliable 2 or 3 free pop email providers that have been around long enough to trust for any length of time?

Thanks
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:59 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

www.gmx.net
NB. the whole site is in German only but they provide 20Mb space and are very reliable. E-mail over 30 days old (not downloaded) is deleted though, I think.

www.lycos.co.uk
15Mb space and have been around a long time and look likely to stay. (www.lycos.com only 5Mb of space)

www.yahoo.co.uk
6Mb space and have been around a really long time. (www.yahoo.com only 4Mb of space)

There are other foreign language ones but i've never used them. Bear in mind that what is offered now by any company may not last as a lot of services are downgrading their free versions eg. by removing POP access in order to get people to pay.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 08:52 AM   #3
yuvaraj
Essential Contributor

In terms of longevity and reliability, some of the free pop3 email services that I know in English are:

In terms of reliability,
Among these email services, my favorite is www.lycos.co.uk and I recommend anyone to use it if they want more features and reliability without spending any money

Last edited by yuvaraj : 22 Jun 2003 at 08:54 AM.
yuvaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:46 PM   #4
robu
Essential Contributor

Great Responses !! here are a couple of others

Check out www.post.cz offers a large Mail box, mail forwading, very good mail filters, NO - smtp servers and Web & POP3 access.

Myrealbox.com offers both POP3, Web or IMAP servers with incoming and outgoing mail servers. Run by Novell and very reliable.
robu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2003, 04:08 AM   #5
toco154

Donīt forget to mention laposte.net - itīs french and the signup-process is a little bit complicated - but it is one of the beste free emailservices around. It doesnīt only offer POP, it also has IMAP and is very reliable...
toco154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2003, 02:19 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

online.ie mailbox capacity

Yuvaraj, do you (or does anyone) know how much space online.ie provides for email? I haven't been able to find any mention of the mailbox capacity anywhere on their site. Thanks.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2003, 01:50 PM   #7
GR8Madmax

I agree about laposte.net. I've been using it as a secondary account and is very reliable. I just access my mail through POP and don't have to deal with the website that is in French.
GR8Madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2003, 10:24 PM   #8
Gankaku

Some have had problems with reliability at Hotpop. Me too a few times, but not recently. I've gotten daily emails without fail for a long time. Also their support is pretty good - if you send them an email they're pretty responsive. They also stop by on this forum from time to time.

I also like yahoo.co.uk.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2003, 10:10 AM   #9
Eric Savage

Representative of:
HotPOP.com
HotPOP support

I hope this isn't considered spamming since someone else brought it up, but we've actually got a new web-based ticket system to guarantee responses to any questions. It has greatly reduced the response time to issues.
Eric Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2003, 08:18 PM   #10
Gankaku

Hi Eric,

I just now saw your reply here...just wanted to say that hotpop's been super-reliable for me for a long time.

Thanks for your updates to the forum!

Lisa
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2003, 09:11 PM   #11
mail2me
Master of the @

Thumbs up

I had a HotPOP account too and was very happy with it. I finally closed it since I didn't have a requirement for it now that I have good paid accounts. I would certainly recommend HotPOP as one of the best for free POP services. I also liked the nice cool easy to remember DOTcom domain name of "HotPOP". Nobody will ever have trouble remembering it or type it incorrectly.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2003, 02:02 PM   #12
CyberSmurf

Re: online.ie mailbox capacity

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
Yuvaraj, do you (or does anyone) know how much space online.ie provides for email? I haven't been able to find any mention of the mailbox capacity anywhere on their site. Thanks.
I can't find anything either.

<addendum/edit>
I have sent myself test e-mail until they bounced. Limit = 102400000 bytes (100MB).

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 14 Jul 2003 at 10:50 PM.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2003, 01:22 AM   #13
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
JLmail.com

JLmail.com has a very stable pop service, and it also allows the users to check their mail from anywhere.
jlnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2003, 04:31 PM   #14

http://mail.yahoo.com.au

6mb space
All the standard yahoo features. Spam guard, antivirus etc.

Dan.