EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:25 PM   #76
hydrostarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlibes View Post
[some] items are subtle and difficult to compare.

Consider spam detection: Tuffmail had an eclectic set of features and options. I can't imagine how I'd match those up with other providers. And even for nominally similar spam-handling, it's tricky. For example, tuffmail and runbox (my new provider) both use SpamAssassin but they have chosen different SA rulesets! How are you possibly going to put this into a spreadsheet? The options both have for filtering is similarly hard to compare. And so on.
It might be too hard. We'll find out, assuming I give this a try.

Comparing the difficult-to-compare features like the one you (donlibes) mention above can potentially be described just as you do above. That doesn't yet seem that hard. I have some experience comparing complex, not-easy-to-compare software systems. In past analysis I've employed tricks to make it more useful with minimized effort. Eg, avoiding "extreme precision" with qualitive comparison plus explanatory prose, just like what you seemingly do quite well above--which for me is tremendously more useful than nothing. Will things like this work here? I don't know.

So far I've seen nothing in the Tuffmail feature set ( https://www.tuffmail.com/features.php ) which is overly cumbersome for this proposed effort. Maybe I'll learn otherwise. Maybe I won't even try it.

Thanks for the tip, in any case.

Last edited by hydrostarr : 26 Oct 2021 at 01:01 PM.
hydrostarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:31 PM   #77
hydrostarr

This Tuffmail->Fastmail "connection" seems nice, but not that useful for a proper porting of domains / addresses / filter+forward+folder (fff) settings for a proper port (from Tuffmail to Fastmail)... but I'm still trying to learn the scope of the effort, so my assessment could be _way_ off.

If on the other hand this Tuffmail->Fastmail stuff is somehow automatically "porting" all my Tuffmail configuration to Fastmail, I would *love* this! I don't yet see how that is/would done with the process described in the email Berenburger received.

As a Tuffmail customer I have yet to receive this email, not sure why.

In any case, thanks Berenburger for sharing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Just arrived in my mailbox.

Quote:
Hello Tuffmail Customer,

We're happy to announce that Fastmail.com will be providing a new home for Tuffmail email addresses.
[...]

Last edited by hydrostarr : 26 Oct 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 06:45 PM   #78
baheinrich

Anyone familiar with NameCheap?

Before I was aware of the Tuffmail-meets-Fastmail thing (which I’m still trying to sort out; it seems not to be working for me :-\ ), someone had made mention to me of <https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/>.

Is anyone familiar with the service?
baheinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 08:17 PM   #79
TenFour
Master of the @

I used Namecheap email a few years ago, but can't comment on what it is like today. It was very cheap, very basic, reliable, but without bells and whistles. If my memory serves correctly it did not have things like sieve filters, etc. that people coming from Tuffmail might want. If you just need cheap, reliable, and simple email check out Purelymail--only $10 a year or less, with all the aliases and mailboxes you want.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2021, 01:26 AM   #80
hydrostarr

Question Confirming: no one is taking over Tuffmail

Double/triple checking: since I've not seen a reply to the below, I'm going to presume that Tuffmail is still scheduled to go offline 2022-01-01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
1. Is there any "real" chance that a qualified someone (or some team) takes over (from John Capo) such that Tuffmail can continue running beyond Jan 1, 2022 (in about 2 months)?
Old 29 Oct 2021, 06:07 AM   #81
Bamb0
Master of the @

It would be nice so people dont lose out!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2021, 03:32 AM   #82
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

There is a report on Twitter, that Tuffmail is no longer accessible.

Can anyone with a Tuffmail account confirm?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2021, 06:03 AM   #83
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post

I was thinking maybe fastmail can buy it for better biz.
Like pobox mode
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2021, 06:34 AM   #84
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

Account manager and webmail are still working. They are on the tuffmail.net domain.

[EDIT]
It’s back up.
Quote:
The SSL cert for this site will expire on December 22 and it will not be renewed.
If you need anything from this site, write it down.

Last edited by Berenburger : 11 Dec 2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Updated
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2021, 07:35 AM   #85
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I was thinking maybe fastmail can buy it for better biz.
Like pobox mode
It is already a nice gesture that Fastmail wants to take over the domain names.(20% off). I don't think Tuffmail is interesting. Compared to Fastmail, Tuffmail is a small provider that has also been operating in the background for the past 10 years. So I wonder how many users were left?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2021, 09:20 AM   #86
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
It is already a nice gesture that Fastmail wants to take over the domain names.(20% off). I don't think Tuffmail is interesting. Compared to Fastmail, Tuffmail is a small provider that has also been operating in the background for the past 10 years. So I wonder how many users were left?
I guess XXXX active users.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2021, 06:49 PM   #87
manarh

Qmail style '-' addressing anywhere else?

I'm late moving a heap of domains off tuffmail. The tricky bit is that I extensively use Qmail style '-' addressing. Fastmail and Runbox both support Plus addressing but neither says they support a - instead of a + and I have probably 100s of made up emails using - (I found some poorly coded sites get upset by a + in the userpart so always use a -).

Anyone know anywhere decent that supports Qmail style '-' addressing as part of their plus addressing support?
manarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2021, 08:06 PM   #88
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarh View Post
I'm late moving a heap of domains off tuffmail. The tricky bit is that I extensively use Qmail style '-' addressing. Fastmail and Runbox both support Plus addressing but neither says they support a - instead of a + and I have probably 100s of made up emails using - (I found some poorly coded sites get upset by a + in the userpart so always use a -).

Anyone know anywhere decent that supports Qmail style '-' addressing as part of their plus addressing support?
Only Purelymail, mentioned previously in this thread.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 02:54 AM   #89
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Sad to see Tuffmail go. I was a customer many years ago, and I remember personal contact with John several times and what a great guy he was. He provided an incredible service. I ended up switching from John's service due to the webmail options he provided at the time (I was not a fan of Squirrelmail and some other option he had at the time), but in every other regard, Tuffmail was a fantastic service, and had an amazing back end management system, with incredible granular control. Loved it. If it weren't for the webmail aspect, I would have never left. Anyway, I wish him the absolute best in the next chapter of his life.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 03:20 AM   #90
manarh

Quote:
Only Purelymail, mentioned previously in this thread.
Ah, I missed that in my scan of the thread. Many thanks.
manarh is offline   Reply With Quote