EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 17 May 2022, 11:25 AM   #46
TenFour
Master of the @

Here's another article about the return of free legacy G Suite accounts. https://9to5google.com/2022/05/16/no...egacy-g-suite/

I wonder how many users Google lost with their horrific messaging and dithering about this?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 02:25 PM   #47
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Here's another article about the return of free legacy G Suite accounts. https://9to5google.com/2022/05/16/no...egacy-g-suite/

I wonder how many users Google lost with their horrific messaging and dithering about this?
Interesting.
I've already moved my email to Zoho.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 06:38 PM   #48
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

As part of the acceptance process, you must confirm to Google that your usage is “for non-commercial personal use.”

I'm guessing that there will be some who will still want to use their account for a commercial purpose but don't want to pay for the privilege, and will confirm acceptance regardless.

I'm guessing (again) that Google will monitor for any misuse, and accounts will have to be converted to a paid account if Google considers them as commercial and not personal.

Time will tell.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:02 AM   #49
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm guessing (again) that Google will monitor for any misuse, and accounts will have to be converted to a paid account if Google considers them as commercial and not personal.
I suspect your business use would have to be pretty significant for it to show on Google's radar screen. For example, maybe you run a side gig as a writer and exchange a few dozen messages each year with publishers--I doubt they would flag you. On the other hand, if every day you are sending out hundreds of marketing messages you might get their attention. Where I live I've noticed that lots of businesses use regular old Gmail addresses as their professional addresses, and I believe that is technically against Gmail's terms also. They have their Gmail addresses printed on the side of trucks, signs, and websites. They seem to get away with it.
Old 21 Jun 2022, 09:10 AM   #50
TenFour
Master of the @

Even the NY Times has an article about the end of free G Suite accounts for businesses. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/t...iness-fee.html
Old 24 Aug 2022, 10:24 PM   #51
TenFour
Master of the @

So, has anyone tried the "personal use" option to retain use of your G Suite Legacy free edition? https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en
Old 25 Aug 2022, 05:09 AM   #52
Folio

Yes. Back in April I accepted an upgrade to Google Workspace offer (free through Oct 2022, then half price through Oct 2023). When Google announced the no-cost option for personal use I submitted a ticket requesting the no-cost option. Within the last few weeks Google has moved me from my previously selected upgrade to the no-cost option. I haven't yet spent much time exploring what is different.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote