EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 7 Jan 2013, 10:10 PM   #106
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Not really a christmas song but only one week difference: "New Year's Day" by U2. I know it is a classic to be played during Christmas and New Year holidays, but then this song really deserved its status. It has a very powerful and hopeful undertone, and the music sounds uplifting especially during the chorus. While there was a deeper meaning to the song than simply wishing someone happy new year, a line such as "Nothing changes on New Year's day: I will be with you again" becomes a lot more powerful when you hear this song in these days when everyone hits the street with friends and family to celebrate.

Good old days when U2 were truly an alternative rock band rather than a mainstream stadium rock act (although they are still awesome live when they play those classic songs)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:48 AM   #107
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Time for another bump.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2013, 06:12 AM   #108
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Well, what to add to this thread? There are new Christmas releases this year from the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Leonna Lewis, Mary J. Blige etc.. what do EMD members make of these?

In the same spirit as Malc 44, I continue to avoid most of the inevitable cliché Christmas songs, often opting for different versions. Examples include
Madeline Bell : Driving home for Christmas (originally by Chris Rea)
Brook Benton : When a child is born (Johnny Mathis) I can no longer listen to the original because nobody can sing it like Benton!
Billy Paul Williams & Lauren Carter : All I want for Christmas is you (Mariah Carey)
Free The Spirit : Wonderful Christmastime (Paul McCartney / Wings)*
Plus many more. And if Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is required, I will always go for the Kaskade remix.

*It sounds almost identical to the original, except a panflute takes the melody replacing Macca and co's odious lyrics. As a result, the overall improvement of the song is humongous.

Last edited by Adam Lachlan : 22 Dec 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:53 PM   #109
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

What about Alma Mater?

(irony: John Paul II also recorded 1 album. Let's see now if Franciscus I will experiment with music as well now and make it three-in-a-row)
Old 3 Jan 2014, 09:45 AM   #110
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
(irony: John Paul II also recorded 1 album.
Not even for Alanis Morissette.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2014, 10:33 AM   #111
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Maybe you shouldn't have brought up Canadians ....
Rob Ford Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Why didn't you put up that XMAS Tree (group from Calgary - offensive language warning)

Captain Picard sings "Let It Snow / Make It So" - I think that the creator James Covenant is from Michigan (not too far from Canada)

And back to Toronto and it's beloved mayor:
Rob Ford (at 2:40)

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2014, 05:30 AM   #112
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrabismus View Post
Not even for Alanis Morissette.
Not sure what you mean, probably missing a joke here ... but truth is John Paul II recorded at least one album (it was quite a hot item in the news when it came out) and apparently (but could not find confirmation of that) contributed to several others too. All religious music obviously, but still it's a musical release.

Benedict XVI released 1 album (Alma Mater) and now that he's retired may have time to finally headline Glastonbury

Now it's waiting for Francis I's debut album. He has to keep the musical tradition of the Vatican alive. A free concert from the balcony at St Peters Square would be great.

PS: unsure where you can order any of these albums. My type of music (noise rock, metal) would be considered rather sinful by the artists discussed just above.
Old 2 Dec 2022, 04:58 AM   #113
Bamb0
Master of the @

I think most of the stuff out after 2000 is just pure crap.......

I think the newest I like is WHAM - LAST CHRISTMAS
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote