EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
blipblop

Considering a return to Fastmail. Has much changed?

I've had a fastmail account since 2000 and happily used it till 2005 as a paying full member until free e-mail storage offerings progressed far passed that of Fastmail, and I eventually switched to Gmail, letting my Full membership downgrade to guest but still retaining it.

Times have changed and as I worry about Gmail's extended privacy grab these days, I wanted to rescan the landscape to see what alternatives there are out there. Surprisingly, it seems like Fastmail is still the only truly independent and quality provider, BUT like before, is woefully inadequate in the storage it provides for the price it asks.

Have there been any real other changes to Fastmail that would tip me in the direction of going through the hassle of migrating back? If its still the same old fastmail, then I'm just not prepared to spend $80-$100 bucks so I can have my 10 gigs of e-mail stored.
blipblop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Merovingian
Master of the @

there has been huge increases in storage, bandwith, file storage, and file bandwith.

You can get your 10 gigs of email storage included in the Enhanced plan for $39.95 a year
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:22 PM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I don't know what you mean by "truly independent ... ". Opera purchased FM earlier this year. You should read the privacy policy of the provider you are considering. I read that FM's privacy policy was revised before or about the time of its sale. There are several other excellent email services providers discussed in these fora, but a fee is required ranging from about $36 to $150+ per year for the super reliable, excellent customer service providers. However, the $36 provider, for example, comes with only 1 GB of storage for that low price, which will likely not satisfy your needs. You can't beat the free ones like Gmail and Yahoo! if you're looking for message storage at little or no cost.There have been a couple of FM outages recently, relatively brief. The recent news item that I thought was encouraging is that Opera has hired about 4 new employees to assist with FM development. That sounds great for the product.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:48 PM   #4
blipblop

Wow, I had no idea they had been acquired. Makes sense.

Well, it seems like the excessive outages are still present, nonetheless. There was an incredible multi-day outage several years ago that was the last straw in putting me off from Fastmail, and I'm concerned to hear that there were a couple last week.

Just not acceptable for a paid-e-mail, when the free ones *rarely* have this issue. Not sure, but I think I'll hold off on Fastmail a bit longer.

With my guest account I am unable to look at the possible themes available. Is there a way to do so? I was hoping they'd have something nice and pretty (with rounded edges and such) like Gmail provides.

P.S. Has anyone seen GMX.com? Apparently there are a ton of bad reviews, but the interface is simply *oustanding*.
blipblop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipblop View Post
... There was an incredible multi-day outage several years ago that was the last straw in putting me off from Fastmail, and I'm concerned to hear that there were a couple last week. ....
That several day outage is when I decided not to renew my 2 paid FM accounts and search for a more reliable provider with better customer service for my own domain business email. I'm now paying a lot more, but I've achieved my goal.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 05:28 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
... it seems like the excessive outages are still present, nonetheless. ...
That's not true. There were some very short outages, and most people (such as me, having my mailbox constantly polled, often from several machines) haven't even noticed them. One of the reasons Opera was interested in acquiring FastMail was the technology developed after that multi-day outage several years ago to make sure it can never happen again.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Times have changed and as I worry about Gmail's extended privacy grab these days, I wanted to rescan the landscape to see what alternatives there are out there. Surprisingly, it seems like Fastmail is still the only truly independent and quality provider, BUT like before, is woefully inadequate in the storage it provides for the price it asks.
Prices for additional space are much lower now, but charged annually.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 11:59 AM   #8
easemail

Agree with Hadaso that the outages haven't been that bad; You can research their downtime status for yourself and see what you think:

http://www.pingdom.com/reports/x8mbe...ww.fastmail.fm
easemail is offline   Reply With Quote