EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 May 2022, 09:08 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Twitter used 2fa info for advertising

So, as many suspected Twitter was using your phone number and email address collected for 2FA security purposes to spam you with advertising.
Quote:
“Specifically, while Twitter represented to users that it collected their telephone numbers and email addresses to secure their accounts, Twitter failed to disclose that it also used user contact information to aid advertisers in reaching their preferred audiences,” the complaint, which was filed by the DOJ on behalf of the FTC, said.
https://techcrunch.com/2022/05/25/tw...vacy-promises/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 May 2022, 09:43 PM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Twitter's handling of users' email addresses (perhaps alos phone numbers?) is the exact opposite of "securing their accounts":

Twitter allows a user to enter an email address and set it up to receive notifications without verifying the address. Then that address can be used to reset the account's password. If the address belongs to someone else (such as if it was misspelled, if the email account was closed and the address given to someone else, or if the user specified an arbitrary address so as not to be bothered my email from Twitter and its "partners") then that someone else would receive Twitter's notifications and would be able to reset the password.

I never signed up for a Twitter account, but I twice had to reset some user's password to stop the flow of someone else's Twitter notifications to some of my addresses because Twitter does not provide any other way to tell "do not send to this address", and doesn't bother to verify the address in the first place.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 12:41 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
So, as many suspected Twitter was using your phone number and email address collected for 2FA security purposes to spam you with advertising.
I have multiple Twitter accounts (personal/hobby/EMD) and have dedicated e-mail addresses on an own domain for each account - if I had received any spam e-mails to those dedicated addresses I would know - but I haven't.

Phone number? I tend not to answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize, but it is possible I suppose.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote