EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
CyberSmurf

inbox.lv service off-line

Inbox.LV service is off-line, no pop or webmail.

Normally I would wait a little longer before mentioning it, but there are problems with FateBack and FastMail as well. I wonder if there is any connection.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jul 2011, 05:10 AM   #2
CyberSmurf

Still off-line. A test message is not being delivered yet.
Code:
Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

<xxxx@inbox.lv>

The reason for the problem:
4.4.0 - Other network problem '[Errno 65] No route to host'
Old 11 Jul 2011, 09:28 AM   #3
CyberSmurf

Inbox.lv back on-line.
Test message delayed 9hr 22min.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

any recommendations regarding inbox.lv?

I gather this is a free Latvian service offering 10GB storage. The sign-up page offers an English option, so I gather there is an English interface also, though I have not signed up. What has your experience been with this service? Would you recommend it?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
CyberSmurf

Generally it seems pretty reliable.
I do have a note from 2010 saying "pop server offline several days" around August 28th.

I haven't have it enabled for a long time, but there is an option to auto-forward a copy of incoming mail.

Here's a link to Help ...
http://help.inbox.lv/index.php?catid=37

In 2010, I received 77 messages from promotions@inbox.lv in my inbox.lv mailbox.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 02:42 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

In fact, they have provision for multiple forwarding addresses as well as the ability to forward selectively via filters. However, although I've had a couple accounts there for several years and I haven't ever noticed any serious problems in my limited use of them, I haven't accessed the accounts by POP3 for quite awhile, nor used or tested the service extensively enough to offer an accurate/meaningful assessment of its general reliability.

They also appear to be the operators of inbox.LT, an essentially identical service in Lithuanian, but also having alternative English and Russian language interfaces, at which I also have an (also relatively little-used) account.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2011, 02:56 AM   #7
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

any connection with inbox.com?

Thanks.

Do you happen to know if either of these Baltic services is affiliated with inbox.com? I recall having been put off, years ago, by the latter's TOS and some related privacy concerns, if only on general principles.

To repeat the relevant portion of an old post of mine on that subject:

----------------------------
>Regarding inbox.com, I noticed an oddly worded disclaimer at the bottom of the sign-up page: "Please note: Our security teams cooperate and share investigations with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies." Email providers in countries where the rule of law is generally respected do indeed provide information to law enforcement when it is properly demanded by a subpoena, and that is entirely proper. What on earth, however, does inbox.com mean by that very odd wording? It seems to imply an unseemly eagerness to share private information when this may not have been legally required or compelled. Does anyone have anything to add regarding inbox.com in this connection?
------------------------------

If inbox.lv and inbox.lt are connected with inbox.com, do you suppose they have any analogous policies that might give rise to generalized concerns about privacy?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:15 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Although it may be difficult to be absolutely certain, given the lack of any noticeable similarity in the webmail interfaces (Inbox.lv and Inbox.lt appear to use Horde), the websites, and other services offered at the respective sites, I rather strongly doubt that there is any connection of any kind between inbox.COM and the other services under discussion here. As far as I can tell, the only thing they have in common is the rather "generic" (and I might say "obvious", for an email service) word "inbox" in their domain names.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote