EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Jan 2022, 02:15 PM   #61
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikotret View Post
Anyway to center the message when opened?
which message?
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 02:48 PM   #62
trikotret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
which message?
When you open an email. The message if not centred
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 05:01 PM   #63
Prognathous
Master of the @

I don't like two things about the new UI update. (1) That it takes more clicks to do the same thing, (2) that I reported it during the beta and was completely ignored. As a loyal customer for 19 years, I'm not happy about either
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 06:32 PM   #64
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
I don't like two things about the new UI update. (1) That it takes more clicks to do the same thing, (2) that I reported it during the beta and was completely ignored. As a loyal customer for 19 years, I'm not happy about either
This is extremely irritating if using your phone or tablet for most of your email time. If you generally work on the computer, use this as an incentive to switch to using keyboard shortcuts for most of your navigation. The switch only takes a couple of hours to become comfortable, and you gain tremendous efficiency benefits from doing so.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 07:14 PM   #65
Prognathous
Master of the @

How do you switch search results from "In all email" to the current folder with a keyboard shortcut?
Old 27 Jan 2022, 07:44 PM   #66
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
How do you switch search results from "In all email" to the current folder with a keyboard shortcut?
Use '/' to focus to the search box, type the search string, then use Alt-ENTER (rather than just the enter key) to restrict the search to the current folder.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 08:00 PM   #67
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I don't like two things about the new UI update. (1) That it takes more clicks to do the same thing, (2) that I reported it during the beta and was completely ignored.
This is a classic result when designers don't think from a user's perspective (or management's hubris overrides the designer). Either way, it's a red flag.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 08:03 PM   #68
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Use '/' to focus to the search box, type the search string, then use Alt-ENTER (rather than just the enter key) to restrict the search to the current folder.
Thanks, I'll use that. It's not the most discoverable solution, so I still think Fastmail should still aim to reduce the amount of clicks actions take rather than increase them.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 08:31 PM   #69
smtper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
Try this...

Code:
/* Puts a count badge on every folder except "ARCHIVE", "SENT", and "TRASH" and shows the number of unread emails */
.v-MailboxSource-badge {
display:inline-block;
font-size:12pt;
color:navy;
background-color:white;
border:2px solid black;
padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px;
border-radius:4px;
margin-right:-12px!important;
text-shadow:1px 1px 1px #808080 !important;
}
Thank you!

I switched to the dark theme in the new UI (that's slightly less unusable). So I tweaked your changes a bit.

/* Puts a count badge on every folder except "ARCHIVE", "SENT", and "TRASH" and shows the number of unread emails */
.v-MailboxSource-badge {
display:inline-block;
font-size:12pt;
color:white;
background-color:black;
border:2px solid white;
padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px;
border-radius:4px;
margin-right:-12px!important;

Last edited by smtper : 29 Jan 2022 at 11:56 PM.
smtper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 09:24 PM   #70
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks, I'll use that. It's not the most discoverable solution, so I still think Fastmail should still aim to reduce the amount of clicks actions take rather than increase them.
I agree with you. UI decisions are difficult, and it makes sense to limit the number of elements on the screen to those that are truly useful. However, I do think it unfortunate that Fastmail no longer canvasses users to find out what is important to them. Where many users have conflicting views on the UI's behaviour, efforts should be made to provide both options via Settings. Obviously, there is a limit to this, and it will always be necessary to disappoint some users.

By the way, it is a good use of time to read once carefully through the complete list of keyboard shortcuts, making notes on those that are non obvious, but useful based on your personal work flow. You can then glance through those notes once a month or so to refresh your memory, and ensure you are well prepared to use the system in the best way. For me, the most important part of the UI is the information that is displayed, and its readability. In general, the buttons (and where they are placed) does not matter to me because I rarely use them.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 12:53 AM   #71
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

inline photos are not sized to fit the email, but are the original size. It's horrible.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 02:50 AM   #72
trikotret

Hi
I figured out how to center message content container. Anyone know the coding to maxout the width? Im coming from gmail and I'm trying to make the message content look like gmail. Fill the page instead of having lots of white around message
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 05:06 AM   #73
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtper View Post
- Compact spacing: both checkbox and pin should take up less space.
Try this...

Code:
/* Affects the space betwen the "RED PIN" and the "Name of the e-mail sender on its right" when you are looking at all of the e-mails */
.v-MailboxItem-link {
margin-left:-30px !important;
}
/* Affects the space between the "RED PIN" and the "Checkbox on its left" when you are looking at all of the e-mails */
.u-list-pin {
margin-left:-15px !important;
}
/* Affects the "Check All" checkbox at the top when you are looking at all of the e-mails */
.v-SelectAllCheckbox {
background-color:crimson !important;
width:22px !important;
padding-left:8px !important;
}
/* Affects the checkboxes on the left when you are looking at all of the e-mails. This MAY affect other pages. */
.u-list-checkbox, .v-Checkbox {
background-color:green !important;
border:1px black solid;
box-shadow:5px 5px 5px rgba(0,0,0,.25), 0 0 20px transparent inset, 0 0 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.5) inset !important;
max-width:30px !important;
}
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 12:01 PM   #74
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Is it possible to show a log out button as I hate the 2 clicks.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 04:03 PM   #75
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Is it possible to show a log out button as I hate the 2 clicks.
That cannot be achieved just with CSS. If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled, use Shift+g followed by l to logout. It is faster than using the mouse.