EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 4 Feb 2023, 12:40 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Which email service for the Zombie Apocalypse?

So which email service would you use or do you use that you trust will keep going at least until you die and probably long after, Zombies or no?

My short list: Gmail, Microsoft/Outlook.com, Apple Mail and that's it.

That's one reason I am wary of using most services for my main, central email. I'm not confident that companies won't sell, collapse, or change drastically to the point I am either forced to leave or want to leave.

Thoughts?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Feb 2023, 01:20 AM   #2
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

If zombies take over, we have bigger problems than email!

However, up until civilization collapses, any service that allows custom domain names, so I can change providers when needed, and I'll ride it out until my zombie bunker's generator dies.

But definitely, Gmail, Outlook.com, and Apple mail will be the LAST options for me. Anything but those. However, if those are the last three options, I'll decide then.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2023, 09:38 PM   #3
bluedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
If zombies take over, we have bigger problems than email!

However, up until civilization collapses, any service that allows custom domain names, so I can change providers when needed, and I'll ride it out until my zombie bunker's generator dies.

But definitely, Gmail, Outlook.com, and Apple mail will be the LAST options for me. Anything but those. However, if those are the last three options, I'll decide then.
what if registrar collapses, woulnt you be needing your own name server and extension?
bluedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2023, 09:46 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
what if registrar collapses
Theoretically you can then move your domain to another registrar, but how long will it take and how long will you be without email? I don't think email at your own domain is as reliable as many say. Too many things to go wrong. The more services and companies you put into the equation the more failure points.
Old 5 Feb 2023, 08:16 PM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I believe FastMail will be around as long as email is useful for communications and a few people are willing to pay for it..
The email services by the likes of Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. would be around as long as email is useful, unless some alternative arises that they decide is more beneficial to them to the point of closing the email services to force users to replace email by someother communications media they offer. Right now there's no such alternative, but we have seen various attempts to develop alternatives in the past two decades. None of them came close yet. Some of them disappeared (remember Google Wave?). Some of them are around and though right now they don't seem to threaten email, they might be able to replace it in the future (for instance where I live Whatsapp replaced most uses of email, and being one of the few that still insists of staying out of that walled garden I am left out).
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2023, 10:46 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Can you imagine the disruption that would be caused if one of the biggies decided to shut down email? At this point it is like postal mail--so vital to society that it will endure no matter what new communication mediums are invented. If Gmail shut down half the usernames for other services would suddenly be invalidated.
Old 5 Feb 2023, 11:33 PM   #7
Avion

Having access to a working social media would be more important than email, come the appearance of the Four Horsemen.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2023, 07:56 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Having access to a working social media would be more important...
Right, so we can stream the end of days. That would go viral! But, I don't think any of the current social platforms are universal enough to last. Maybe Facebook, but I don't have much faith in its longterm popularity.
Old 6 Feb 2023, 08:35 PM   #9
Avion

In reality, Amateur/Ham radio would probably be the only means of communication.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2023, 02:25 AM   #10
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
In reality, Amateur/Ham radio would probably be the only means of communication.
Agreed. Reminds me I need to stock up on rechargeable batteries. I recommend Eneloop BTW, a favorite of survivalists everywhere, zombie apocalypse approved.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2023, 02:48 AM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @

I suppose Amateur/Ham radio could be considered "social media" the way it is used. But, I was thinking more specifically about what email service you would consider most bulletproof and reliable while the Internet is still standing.