EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Indecision

Does Downloading Emails Have More Virus Risk?

So I'm thinking of starting to download my emails using POP/IMAP or whatever. But my question is.. am I more at risk of viruses on my home computer if i do this?

What sort of risks are you taking if you do this?

Also, if you send emails through gmail using a home email prog like Thunderbird does gmail still mask the sending IP?
Indecision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2014, 02:23 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

You shouldn't be exposed to any more risk than by using webmail (except possibly if you use Outlook with scripting enabled). Thunderbird should be fine. My antivirus (Avast) has both a Web Shield and a Mail Shield so either way should be protected the same for me. Check yours.

As for sending, if the mail is sent using Gmail's SMTP server I would guess that the same things apply, I can't be sure though.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:10 AM   #3
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision View Post
So I'm thinking of starting to download my emails using POP/IMAP or whatever. But my question is.. am I more at risk of viruses on my home computer if i do this?

What sort of risks are you taking if you do this?
Not any more than the risk you're already taking when you click a link in an email or download an attachment. Any of those could contain a virus. Regardless of whether you use webmail or Thunderbird, any link you click will open in your web browser (Thunderbird doesn't open it, rather it tells your default web browser to open it) and any attachment you download will end up on your computer. So the chance of infection is
exactly the same.

Unless, of course, it's a virus that specifically targets Thunderbird or the exact webmail service that you use. But that's extremely rare, and in any case neither webmail nor Thunderbird can protect you from a virus that specifically targets it.

Quote:
Also, if you send emails through gmail using a home email prog like Thunderbird does gmail still mask the sending IP?
No, Gmail does not hide your IP address when you send with any program other than Google's own webmail.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Indecision

Thanks for the replys. It's just all emails with attachments automatically get downloaded, and not sure if that would effect my computer even if i ignore the attachment. I guess not.

But since I can't mask my home IP with Thunderbird I guess I'll prob stick with web mail anyway.

You can still mask it if you use a custom domain on gmail right?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. It's just all emails with attachments automatically get downloaded, and not sure if that would effect my computer even if i ignore the attachment. I guess not.

But since I can't mask my home IP with Thunderbird I guess I'll prob stick with web mail anyway.

You can still mask it if you use a custom domain on gmail right?
What program are you using? Thunderbird has an option to NOT download attachments by default I'm pretty sure. But I'd have to check.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2014, 04:03 AM   #6
Indecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
What program are you using? Thunderbird has an option to NOT download attachments by default I'm pretty sure. But I'd have to check.
Not using anything right now just planning to change stuff up email wise. I used to use Thunderbird many years ago though (8+ yrs ago)
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Not using anything right now just planning to change stuff up email wise. I used to use Thunderbird many years ago though (8+ yrs ago)
Yeah, its been a while for me to. Thats why I don't know for sure. I just use webmail now.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Cory
Essential Contributor

Something to note about Gmail webmail is they may include your IP address in the headers. Even though I use webmail, they include my IP in the header. I use Google Apps and they don't do that for all of my users, about half. So not sure who gets picked / why.