EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jul 2003, 05:53 AM   #31
beetone

I have tried several e-mail clients, using an IMAP connection, with FastMail, including PowerMail and Mac Mail. Undoubtedly the one that works best is Mulberry. It supports Linux, Windows and Macintosh platforms and is not expensive.
beetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2003, 04:06 PM   #32
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

I have never used Mulberry. Why? The money. It may be an excellent IMAP client and a feature rich one too, but for my email needs (the typical emailer... check email, send mail, rearrange folders, move messages, etc etc) Mozilla works great. I also believe that FM has a wiki project with Mozilla to develop the greatest ever IMAP client on Mozilla. Jeremy, Rob, how far along are we on that? Any updates?

Keep in mind that if you download an alpha, beta, or nightly version of Mozilla, as with all experimental software, some problems may occur. But I have to say that Mozilla nightlies are stunningly stable for the most part.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2003, 09:04 PM   #33
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Mozilla beast!

I do have to admit.
The more I use Mozilla & the add-ons that are developped for it, the more I've come to appreciate it, even the nightlies as FMRocks stated. Have dropped IE long ago. Never thought I would though.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:27 PM   #34
spindoctor

notifications and subdomains...

Relatedish... please point in the right direction if there's an answer for this...

I use subdomains for email lists and so much (ie list@username.fastmail.fm), to take advantage of fastmail's automatic filtering, which works fine on the web interface. New mail shows up as such.

It doesn't in Eudora though. Anything in the Inbox shows up just fine and I get notified of it, but not if it's been prefiltered to other folders. Anyone know of a way round this? Am I missing something?

thanks

spin
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 08:21 AM   #35
anj
Master of the @

Do you have rules activated for some personalities and not others? If so, see this:
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2115hq.html#alert
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 09:37 AM   #36
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Re: notifications and subdomains...

I don't have the current version of Eudora, but it used to be the case that only inboxes and open mailboxes are checked.

For a small number of incoming mailboxes, you can leave them permanently open.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2003, 03:27 PM   #37
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Re: notifications and subdomains...

Quote:
Originally posted by spindoctor It doesn't in Eudora though. Anything in the Inbox shows up just fine and I get notified of it, but not if it's been prefiltered to other folders. Anyone know of a way round this? Am I missing something?

thanks

spin
I gave up Eudora quite a while ago, and the reason was that it wasn't a great IMAP client. I think Dr is right. However, many other IMAP clients such as Mozilla and Mulberry are able to check mailboxes other than Inbox.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 04:24 PM   #38
spindoctor

Quote:
only inboxes and open mailboxes are checked.
Certainly looks that way.

Mulberry, huh?
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2003, 08:44 PM   #39
fmfan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by spindoctor
Mulberry, huh?
If thinking or more about it, have seen Help with Mulberry ?
A *bit* of a learning curve?

Last edited by fmfan : 5 Jul 2003 at 11:48 PM.
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2003, 03:44 PM   #40
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by fmfan

A *bit* of a learning curve?
And it costs money. I am happy with my free copy of Mozilla .
Old 7 May 2006, 03:33 AM   #41
jchevali

I would agree with DrStrabismus about PC-Pine being an impressive and very reliable email application. I've used it myself for over a decade, and though I've tried lots of others (including having to use Outlook at work ), I wouldn't change PC-Pine for any other.

PC-Pine can do both POP3 and IMAP, and by defining Incoming-Folders, it can read email from multiple servers. It can also subscribe to multiple IMAP folders, if you tell it to. It can read News. And it's immensely configurable, with well over a hundred options. It can be quite funky too, there're people who have produced quite pleasant color schemes for it.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 04:13 AM   #42
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by jchevali
I would agree with DrStrabismus about PC-Pine being an impressive and very reliable email application. I've used it myself for over a decade, and though I've tried lots of others (including having to use Outlook at work ), I wouldn't change PC-Pine for any other.

PC-Pine can do both POP3 and IMAP, and by defining Incoming-Folders, it can read email from multiple servers. It can also subscribe to multiple IMAP folders, if you tell it to. It can read News. And it's immensely configurable, with well over a hundred options. It can be quite funky too, there're people who have produced quite pleasant color schemes for it.
I've been delving into PC-Pine recently, using the PC-Pine tips at Infinite Ink as a guide. I'm more and more impressed with it the more I learn about it.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 04:47 AM   #43
Aimlink
Master of the @

Mulberry's development and sales have been discontinued because of bankruptcy.

ThunderBird is quite a nice client and free.

Very good payware clients include Becky! Internet Mail and The Bat!. The Bat!'s IMAP had a long and stormy development. However, the IMAP support is now quite stable and having the rest of the clients power to go with IMAP makes for quite an impressive package, my personal favourite, especially for those with heavy e-mail needs.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 05:35 AM   #44
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Sylpheed-Claws is worth a look too; I've played around with the (unmaintained and unsupported) Windows version.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2006, 05:48 AM   #45
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
Sylpheed-Claws is worth a look too; I've played around with the (unmaintained and unsupported) Windows version.
I did too and thought it was only worth playing around with.

It's support for Windows graphics etc. is terrible. You get the feeling of a shoe-horned user experience. A lousy port of sorts.

It seems to work, but it's not a fast client.

All my opinion and experience... don't crucify me for it.

Mulberry takes honours for speed, followed by TB! and ThunderBird.

I've tried many since The Bat!, my preferred client in my POP days had lousy IMAP support, up until recently that is:

PC-Pine ...ugh!
Mulberry
ThunderBird
The Bat!
Becky! Internet Mail
Sylpheed Claws
Mozilla Mail
Eudora
Outlook
Gemini (that one isn't so well known)
Pegasus Mail (quite decent IMAP these days)
Poco Mail (not good IMAP)
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote