EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:31 AM   #91
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
It's 200 total, but I'm pretty happy to increase if people really need it since we've scrapped ala-carte purchases. It was really just a "sanity" upper limit since I didn't think people would use that many, it gets hard to manage...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:45 AM   #92
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
Yes my post was in response to one that has been deleted.
That was mine...sorry for pulling the rug out After I posted it I thought it sounded a little too snide I was just wondering what anyone would do with 50 domains and 10,000 aliases
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:47 AM   #93
JeffK

That's OK.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 12:16 PM   #94
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
It's 200 total
So, if one has:

1 Virtual Domain, 200 virtual aliases for that domain

2 Virtual Domains, an average of 100 virtual aliases per domain

4 Virtual Domains, an average of 50 virtual aliases per domain

5 Virtual Domains, an average of 40 virtual aliases per domain

10 Virtual Domains, an average of 20 virtual aliases per domain

20 Virtual Domains, an average of 10 virtual aliases per domain

25 Virtual Domains, an average of 8 virtual aliases per domain

40 Virtual Domains, an average of 5 virtual aliases per domain

50 Virtual Domains, an average of 4 virtual aliases per domain

Correct?
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 01:34 PM   #95
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

I'm assuming there isn't a hard limit per domain. e.g. if you have 2 domains, then each domain is limited to 100 aliases each. I figure you could have 50 domains, 1 domain with 200 aliases, and 49 of them with 0.

Can anybody confirm this?
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 01:43 PM   #96
ReuvenNY

If you reread Rob's posting above, you will notice that the 200 is not a firm number, and they are flexible with that issue. So don't worry, just use what you need.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2006, 07:59 AM   #97
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It's 200 total, ... just a "sanity" upper limit ... it gets hard to manage...
Quote:
Originally posted by FromLine
1 Virtual Domain, 200 virtual aliases for that domain
50 Virtual Domains, an average of 4 virtual aliases per domain
Math correct...

And I agree that it "gets hard to manage". So many aliases (if used by one person such as for disposable addresses) need tools to manage them in bulk (such as to block or to allow messages to addresses that match a pattern).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 03:41 AM   #98
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Question

Quote:
You cannot add more aliases under 5 characters without upgrading your account, or without purchasing more. To upgrade, click 'Done' and go to 'Upgrade account'. To purchase more, click 'Done' and go to 'Purchase aliases'.
I received the above message when I tried to add a 4-character alias and already used my maximum limit of three short aliases.

Suppose an Enhanced user wants more than three short (less than 5-character) aliases?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 03:03 PM   #99
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I think 200 email addresses is a lot, regardless of how many domains one has.

In addition, you have 33 FM aliases, and virtually unlimited if you want to apply the anything@alias.domain.tld format.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 10:15 PM   #100
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
[/color]I received the above message when I tried to add a 4-character alias and already used my maximum limit of three short aliases.

Suppose an Enhanced user wants more than three short (less than 5-character) aliases?
Sorry, you can't basically.

Yes, there is a loss of some flexibility by scapping extra purchases, but it makes many billing things internally easier, and is also a lot easier for users to choose the right level.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 10:34 PM   #101
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Sorry, you can't basically.

Yes, there is a loss of some flexibility by scapping extra purchases, but it makes many billing things internally easier, and is also a lot easier for users to choose the right level.

Rob
I always felt that FM had too many internal restrictions/limits/conditions that were making email life cumbersome. This new/improved system makes life much easier for everyone. All we need now is a way to exclude some email addresses under the "catch all", which was promised a couple of years ago...
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2006, 10:47 PM   #102
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I think 200 email addresses is a lot, regardless of how many domains one has.

In addition, you have 33 FM aliases, and virtually unlimited if you want to apply the anything@alias.domain.tld format.
It may be for you, but others may want to use things differently. I am consolidating my setup at Tuffmail. I have one domain with 120 unique addresses. Each person with whom I communicate is given their own address. It it the ultimate spam protection and monitoring system. Also, I have individual address control over the MX/smpt restrictions which is really a powerful tool (each address as its own spam setup).

I started out using the anything@alias.domain.tld at Fastmail. The problem with that approach is that one cannot just drop an address and have it go away. For example, give vendor1 an address of vendor1.sales@alias.domain.tld. There is no way to drop that address other than a Sieve script. The problem with a Sieve script is it adds a second layer of management to the system and does not drop the incoming mail server at smtp time. Also, folks can send to account@, sales@, and so on without them being automatically stopped. Essentially the anything@ system helps to monitor address use, but is not that great for prevention. At one time we had some discussion about having a reject list so that one could place the vendor1@ address in the reject list and mail would not be accepted to that address at smtp time.

It may end up not being an issue for me. The thing I really liked at fastmail was the web interface. However, I have been trying out Tunderbird 1.5.0.2 nightly and am starting to really like its features.
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2006, 08:42 AM   #103
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
... I also see that each virtual alias has an "active" checkbox. ... Does it mean that if an alias is inactive then email to it would be rejected even if there's a catchall alias?
I checked it now and the answer is "no"!
If an email message is sent to an "inactive" alias and there's a catchall, the message would be received by the catchall.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote