EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Aug 2014, 07:29 PM   #1
petergh
Master of the @

Suggestions for solid, small, professional email host offering .com or .net accounts

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for an email host to suggest to someone in my family who's trying to get away from Gmail. I know all the regular companies discussed here, but I can't seem to single one out from that lot that meets all the following criteria, so I'm open to other suggestions:
  • Main focus on email hosting, not webhosting or something else.
  • Support for accounts on their own .com or .net domain
  • Strong IMAP support
  • Good, responsive technical support. With responsive I mean tickets are answered within a matter of hours, not days. No layered support.
  • Likely to be around for a long time. Having been around a long time already is a plus, but not required.
  • Privacy-oriented, or at least privacy-conscious.
  • A history of actually keeping the service up-to-date and improving it, not just talking about it and making empty promises.
  • Simple, yet functional, non-proprietary webmail interface. Roundcube or Squirrelmail will do the job just fine.

Cost is not an issue, so suggest anyone that comes to mind. I know some of the items above are vague and perhaps contentious, but it's the best I could do.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Aug 2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

The first that comes up to my mind: Pobox Mailstore https://pobox.com/pricing. Roundcube included.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2014, 08:51 PM   #3
petergh
Master of the @

Thanks for the suggestion. I was contemplating adding "not hosted in the U.S." to my list above, but decided against it.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
Old 15 Aug 2014, 09:44 PM   #4
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Seems like Polarismail meets all the requirements.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2014, 10:02 PM   #5
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

As the previous poster mentioned, PolarisMail meets all or most of the requirements. (I don't know how to evaluate "Likely to be around for a long time.")

I have been particularly impressed with tech support. I have usually emailed support, and George personally responds almost immediately. When I was getting started, he actually called me on the phone to walk me through synchronizing with Microsoft Outlook (the client which is part of Microsoft Office). There is also a phone number to call (I haven't used it), and an online chat thing which I used once with instant response.

They offer several standard web interfaces: Roundcube (which I like), Atmail, Horde, Squirrelmail, and (for Enhanced accounts) GroupOffice. Their IMAP is very fast and rock solid.

They and their servers are located in Canada (Montreal).
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2014, 10:12 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

For someone in my family, I would point them in the direction of Runbox.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:53 AM   #7
William9
The "e" in e-mail

You indicated that cost is no option. Luxsci has the best support in my opinion. I don't think it offers Roundcube or Squirrelmail, however.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 02:53 AM   #8
petergh
Master of the @

Yeah, cost-wise LuxSci would be ok, but the proprietary interface is much too complicated for the Gmail refugee in question.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:06 AM   #9
Bob D

EuMX is highly regarded here. Offers Open Web Mail, Horde, Squirrel Mail, Roundcube.
That is IF you can deal with their spartan, outdated website.
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:07 AM   #10
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
As the previous poster mentioned, PolarisMail meets all or most of the requirements. (I don't know how to evaluate "Likely to be around for a long time.")
PolarisMail looks good, albeit the website looks cheap, with lots of stock images and animations. I know about their reputation from here, and they do offer both Roundcube and Squirrelmail as well as accounts on polarismail.net. They're definitely a contender.

As for "Likely to be around for a long time", all I'm asking is for a gut feeling, if you have one. I know no one here can accurately predict the future of any one company discussed on this forum.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 03:26 AM   #11
mark73

Representative of:
Servermx.com
servermx.com. Multiple Domain name, Roundcube and Squirrelmail, Sieve server-side filters, Calendar and Address book calDav and cardDAV with SOGo. Support ok.
mark73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 04:54 AM   #12
petergh
Master of the @

I contacted servermx.com, and they responded very quickly. Unfortunately, they require that users bring their own domain, and do not offer to host accounts on one of their domains.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 04:59 AM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Well, a domain costs some $15/year..... And you can move it to another provider, keeping the same email address(es)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 06:22 AM   #14
adamlau

Roller Network. VFEmail. MXroute if you ask the same question next year (based on potential).
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 01:08 PM   #15
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Fastmail or Runbox? they both seem not hosted in the US.
Or you give a try on @mail.china.com ? they provide free email with this domain name.
It certainly not in the US as everyone can see.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote