EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 31 Mar 2018, 04:47 AM   #1
B4its2L8
Master of the @

LastPass Ending Support For Xmarks

Quote:
Xmarks update On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then, including the syncing of your bookmarks. After that date, your bookmarks should remain in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your account will be deactivated.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks service so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years.
I use PaleMoon browser (with FireFox as a back-up) both of which have Xmarks as a great add-on. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement manager? Or do most use the one in their browsers?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Mar 2018, 06:51 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Redditors have some suggestions in a thread over there. This is one thing that keeps me using Chrome--bookmarks and syncing of non-critical passwords across devices that I use, including my phone. It's kinda crude and can take some time to set up, but I have stored some bookmarks in Keep and can then access by logging into my own Gmail account from any browser. With the Keep extension installed you can save any site with one click of the Keep icon and then have a Bookmarks or other label set up and choose the correct label. One thing nice about this is you can add other information about the site quite easily. One thing I like about Keep is that you can click "Share" from most mobile browsers and then save the bookmark in Keep even if the browser doesn't have its own bookmarking or it won't sync with the desktop. You can't sort the list alphabetically but Google search does a great job of finding things quickly.

Last edited by TenFour : 31 Mar 2018 at 07:00 AM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
inbx

Have a look at https://bitwarden.com/
I don't use it myself, someone on EMD mentioned it.
inbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2018, 06:58 PM   #4
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! I'll look into them.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 07:09 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Check out:

https://www.enpass.io/

Although it's classed as a password manager, it also stores URL's so you can use instead of bookmarks.

I have my Enpass synced via my FastMail file storage and it syncs with each of my devices.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2018, 11:17 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Fred's suggestion is a good one to look into. Enpass is a great password manager that I have used. My initial thinking is I would prefer to keep my passwords and my bookmarks separate. I would rarely want to log into my password manager while surfing the net, but I use my bookmarks all the time. It seems to me it would be a security vulnerability to have your password manager logged into all the time. I suppose you could use two different instances of Enpass or another password manager: one that is secure and just for important passwords, and one that is less secure and includes your bookmarks. For me that is the opposite direction to what I am trying to do with technology at the moment, which is to simplify, simplify, simplify. For example, look for ways to use one app with multiple functions instead of many apps. But, that's another discussion.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 05:21 AM   #7
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thanks for the further input. Lots of great suggestions!
Old 1 Apr 2018, 05:30 AM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
I use PaleMoon browser (with FireFox as a back-up) both of which have Xmarks as a great add-on. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement manager? Or do most use the one in their browsers?
All my devices are Apple. Safari synchronize all my bookmarks through the iCloud.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2018, 06:41 AM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
All my devices are Apple. Safari synchronize all my bookmarks through the iCloud.
It probably goes without saying that you can do the same using Google Chrome as your browser everywhere or Firefox with sync. Theoretically, it also works with Edge, but haven't tried it. With Chrome or Firefox I find it handy to sync both my bookmarks and less important passwords for things like forums. I keep important passwords like banking elsewhere. I'm not sure what the advantage of Xmarks was.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 07:03 PM   #10
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thanks for the further comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I'm not sure what the advantage of Xmarks was.
I don't know. Maybe it was around before the other services you mentioned (or more reliable)?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 06:19 AM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
I don't know. Maybe it was around before the other services you mentioned (or more reliable)?
Yes, sure it was. It made itself superfluous.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote