EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 22 Jan 2005, 09:39 AM   #1
great_sea

Red face does windows clipboard really exist?

alright you wonderful devoted forum-goers! I have one little problem. recently i was browsing through extensions for the Firefox browser, and saw that several of them created some sort of added functionality of accessibility using "the clipboard." I proceeded to try to find out what clipboard they meant, and upon failing finding any sort of clipboard feature in firefox i searched through the windows accessories, system tools, etc. I found nothing, even after using the windows search to find anything with the word "clipboard." I found nothing. I then checked what windows components i had installed/uninstalled and saw that windows clipboard was toggled as installed. just to make sure, I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it using "add/remove windows components" but this availed to nothing.

I know i have taken a long time to ask a simple question, so here is my point: Does the windows clipboard really exist? If so, how can I get to it. If not... then I guess i will download some 3rd party thing. Thank you all for listening

- great_sea
great_sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jan 2005, 09:59 AM   #2
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

The windows clipboard holds data between cutting/copying and pasting. AFAIK it's an integral part of windows, although you may find utiliities to enhance it.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2005, 10:15 AM   #3
great_sea

I cannot find it installed on my machine (I have windows XP Home Edition) and it doesn't seem to appear when I try to Install it again from the windows components list.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 22 Jan 2005, 01:11 PM   #4
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by great_sea
I cannot find it installed on my machine (I have windows XP Home Edition) and it doesn't seem to appear when I try to Install it again from the windows components list.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
It's not a problem. It's part of the OS. It's a very useful features. It's literally REQUIRED for functionality. It's part of the US. You can enhance it (holds one at a time, some proggies will make it hold 30+), but you can't get rid of it.

Plus why would you want to? It's there because it is, without it you cannot copy/cut anything.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2005, 01:29 PM   #5
great_sea

i am sorry, you must have misunderstood me. I couldn't find the actual executable file on my machine and wanted to use it.

But I just figured it out. I went foraging through my windows/system 32 folder and found the clipboard program safe and sound under the name "clipbrd" - which explains why I couldn't find it when searching for "clipboard"

anyway thanks for the info guys! you all are great
Old 22 Jan 2005, 05:08 PM   #6

With Windows you can optionally install a utility called Clipboard Viewer; the clipboard itself is just memory space. You can add/remove this utility in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:36 PM   #7
great_sea

yeah, that is what i was talking about - though i didnt know it - the clipboard viewer
Old 22 Oct 2021, 02:50 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrabismus
The windows clipboard holds data between cutting/copying and pasting. AFAIK it's an integral part of windows, although you may find utiliities to enhance it.
What I think is fascinating is how CTRL-Z works!!

Say you have a message your typing and you make 7 changes during writing.....You can press CTRL-Z and it will go back 1 change every press..... How does it do that???

Where is the info stored?? -- Its gotta be LIVE STORED when you have your computer on as that isnt saved???

Very confusing.......

Last edited by Bamb0 : 24 Oct 2021 at 04:36 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2021, 01:22 PM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
What I think is fascinating is how CTRL-Z works!!

Say you have a message your typing and you make 7 changes during writing.....You can press CTRL-Z and it will go back 1 change every press..... How does it do that???

Where is the info stored?? -- Its gotta be LIVE STORED which you have your computer on as that isnt saved???

Very confusing.......
Windows uses "virtual memory". When an application program needs some memory, it makes a request of the operating system. The application is given back a "handle" which can be used to refer to that memory. Windows has a built-in memory manager which works with memory manager hardware in the system processor(s) to manage cache RAM, main memory RAM, and Windows virtual memory hidden files on disk drives.

The chunks of memory which are moved between parts of the system are called "pages", similar to pages in a physical paper book. Imagine a book with 200 pages, but the local physical RAM may only have room for 10 pages. So if you are reading page 55 and you ask for the next page in the file, page 56 can be read into RAM from disk drive. If you next ask for page 113, you will now have pages 55, 56, and 113 in memory. The memory manager remembers which pages are in local RAM, so you can instantly turn to page 55 since it's still in RAM. But after you read a few more pages the pages you haven't used recently won't still be in the limited 10 page memory. If you ask for page 55 at that time, you get a "page fault" and the virtual memory manager has to determine where that page is currently located (in this case, on the disk drive), and recall that page.

Let's say that you are creating a long document in an application (such as Word). When you create the initial empty document, Word makes an operating system request and receives a handle (essentially a hardware memory address) to some memory. In some cases this is a fixed buffer, but often it's a variable length memory buffer which can grow nearly without limit.

At any moment, you might be running 20 different application windows. Each of them has memory allocated via handles. Some of that memory is in the processor system cache, some is in the main RAM, and some is in virtual memory from another source (typically a disk drive). Before you stop an application or turn off your computer, the virtual memory files must be released (thrown away) or written to disk files which will remain long term. Many programs also save one or more backup files which can often be used to recover some or all of the original data if the computer was improperly shut down or the operating system crashes.

The CTRL-Z undo (and CTRL-Y redo) features are built into some (but not all) applications. The undo buffer is typically storing actions as a list of events along with buffers that save data which is needed to undo the action. So if you accidentally delete the wrong paragraph in your document, the undo buffer knows that the previous action was a delete at a certain start and end point in the document, and the old data is saved so it can be recovered. Each application program may do this in a slightly different manner. Since Windows uses virtual memory, there is theoretically no limit to the size of a file (other than the free space available in RAM and the disk drive), but usually applications limit the size of the cut/paste and undo/redo buffers so virtual memory usage doesn't get too large. If programs don't do this efficiently and don't release memory they don't currently need back to the operating system, your computer can get very sluggish and there can be a lot of disk drive activity as data is moved between RAM and the disk drive.

Virtualization (where some subsystem is simulated in a computer using hardware and software) is an important part of modern computing systems. In the case of virtual memory, the system can simulate a 100 GB RAM linearly addressed memory system using 500 MB of RAM and a very large temporary hidden file on the disk drive.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2021, 04:58 PM   #10
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;292623
With Windows you can optionally install a utility called Clipboard Viewer; the clipboard itself is just memory space. You can add/remove this utility in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.
I'm not exactly sure with what version of Windows this started, but one can depress the <Windows Key> + 'v' to access Windows built in 'cliboard viewer'.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2021, 04:42 AM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thank you Bill for those details... It would be neat if you could use some program and pull up EVERYTHING AT ONCE and see whats in the buffer at any time........

I tried WIN+V and nothing but then again I deleted the clipboard program along time ago. (You must not be able to get to it directly)
Old 24 Oct 2021, 11:47 AM   #12
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
I tried WIN+V and nothing..
Hmm. Perhaps we have a Windows version difference here. The PC I use runs with the Windows 10 version. I'm not sure with how many versions back that one had to use a third party clipboard viewer.

- Bruce
Old 25 Oct 2021, 02:09 AM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Wikipedia, the infallible source of all information, says:
Quote:
ClipBook Viewer has been removed from Windows Vista and later; although in Windows 10, you are able to view your clipboard history by pressing win + v.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2021, 02:43 AM   #14
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Hmm. I started using computers before Windows even came out, and I had no idea of a clipboard viewer there all the time. I just thought it was a new thing since the XP days.

- Bruce
Old 4 Sep 2023, 12:17 AM   #15
Bamb0
Master of the @

I found a program called CLIPBOARD EXPRESS today and I tried it,didnt do much.. Maybe I didnt understand it

I deleted it...... Pressing CTRL- C/V is good enough