EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 13 Feb 2020, 12:09 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Google terminating third-party app access to account

Quote:
Beginning February 18, 2020, the following app will no longer have access to your Gmail data: XXXXXXGoogle has always worked to design our tools and services with security at their core. Last year, we proactively updated the Google User Data Policy to better protect Gmail users.
As part of this policy, apps you granted access to your Google account that have not passed a required security assessment will no longer be able to access your Gmail data starting February 18, 2020.
That message came to me via email from Google. I've emailed support for the app developer, but have not yet received a response. Anyone else getting one of these messages?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Feb 2020, 01:12 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Related information here:

https://support.google.com/cloud/ans..._topic=3473162

You didn't mention the app in question, hopefully if anyone is using that same app they will report here.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2020, 01:14 AM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I've never granted third-party access to Gmail, so I don't expect to see a similar message...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2020, 03:14 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

The app developer got back to me and said that Google was making it very difficult to pass their security tests, but they "hope" their app will continue to work after February 18. Not very encouraging.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 04:11 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Look at the bright side: Googe wants to make sure nobody can bypass their security measures. You cannot argue with that, can you?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2020, 05:48 AM   #6
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Look at the bright side: Googe wants to make sure nobody can bypass their security measures. You cannot argue with that, can you?
I don't know how secure their app is. I remember all of the ads to "upgrade" to chrome. They can probably track you more effectively on their app. Call me cynical if you want.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2020, 03:32 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
They can probably track you more effectively on their app.
That may be true, but it is only marginally better. I suspect anything you download from the Play Store means you are pretty much opted in to full tracking whether you like it or not. But, I trust Google to maintain "security" of my data much more than I do any of the independent app providers. Security and "privacy" are two different things. The app I was using was for account backup purposes. Worked well, but apparently Google doesn't think it is secure for some reason.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 11:50 PM   #8
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Does this affect SMTP submission or IMAP access?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2020, 04:43 AM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

To check third-party access in your Google Account, go to:

Manage your Google Account
Secure account
Security Checkup - Third-party access

You should see any access there - for example, my Gmail account shows access to my Android (it's not Gmail) e-mail app.

My understanding of the OAuth process is that, when adding a Gmail account to your (not Gmail) e-mail app, you have to go through a verification process (a web page opens for you to complete the verification). If your app does not open a web page, it's probably an app that won't meet Google's standard.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 03:27 PM   #10
EricG
Essential Contributor

Was this an Android app or something else? I had 7 third-party apps: Windows live mail and Mailstore home, an Edge extension, some google tasks apps on Android, and Xodo PDF had Drive access. Did not list the WinPhone mail app.

Never got a message from Google.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2020, 04:07 PM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Just to clarify the OP's subject, it's not all third-party apps, just those apps that don't comply.

I believe if an app doesn't comply, it will say that when you check your Gmail account. The apps you've listed may already comply.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 09:45 PM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

It's a web app called UpSafe for backing up my Gmail account. No backups since 2/17, no word from developers, no error messages from Google. Not sure what is happening.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 10:27 PM   #13
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Discussed in this thread:

https://support.google.com/accounts/...23650824?hl=en
Old 18 Feb 2020, 11:34 PM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

I just checked and UpSafe seems to be working again. Apparently they have passed Google verification. I have asked support for an update.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 08:58 PM   #15
Theresa Turner

That is new for me, but please let me the app name so that I can get more details.
Theresa Turner is offline   Reply With Quote