EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 25 Feb 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

Wee, we've got an upgraded forum!

Well, after several false starts, this forum is running on an updated version of vBulletin.

As well as some cosmetic changes (posts fill the screen width; the page layout is a bit simpler; etc.), you should now find that you have space for 100 PM (private messages) rather than the old limit of 70. There are also better tools for writing and editing messages, and tons of other goodies that I haven't even finished exploring myself yet!

I know that the "Representative of:" information is currently missing - I will be working hard to get this restored in the next day or so.

If you notice any problems or issues other than the ones already flagged above, please post! I'd also welcome general feedback...

ADDENDUM: I believe anywhere between 2 and 5 posts were lost during the upgrade. Apologies to those affected, but they've gone to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Feb 2007, 07:46 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Larger fonts: a bonus for my not so young eyes...
And a nice cake-and-candles icon in the 'birthdays' section.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
JeffK

Nice work Edwin. Looks good already.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 07:54 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Just curious: why did my rank change to 'registered user' ?

And for something completely different:
Quote:
you have space for 100 PM (private messages) rather than the old limit of 70
Edwin's PM inbox is full even with the higher limit....
Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

Both of the above issues should now be fixed. Just teething problems
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:22 PM   #6
odedp
Master of the @

Very nice Congratulations!!

Oded
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:23 PM   #7
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
I know that the "Representative of:" information is currently missing - I will be working hard to get this restored in the next day or so.
Just as long as I don't in the meantime get twits^Wpeople mistaking me for a Fastmail.FM rep! That's what happened all the time until "Representative of:" was instated (and for a while afterward)...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:36 PM   #8
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Exclamation

Unfortunately, the upgrade has broken character-entity support, which no longer works although it did until yesterday (e.g. ® is supposed to come out as ®)...

Is there any way to fix this?* I suspect it may be a bug in the new version...

(edit: it's no longer possible even to type a non-breaking space as [0][1][6][0], it's mangled to * -- definitely a bug.)
Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:48 PM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Every time I read a thread, a 'reply' window appears at the bottom of the screen, taking up half the screen. In most cases I do not want to reply, so I consider it a waste of space. Is there a way to revert to the previous behaviour, where the reply window appeared only when explicitly requested (by clicking quote or reply) ?
Old 25 Feb 2007, 09:14 PM   #10
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
Unfortunately, the upgrade has broken character-entity support, which no longer works although it did until yesterday (e.g. ® is supposed to come out as ®)...

(edit: it's no longer possible even to type a non-breaking space as [0][1][6][0], it's mangled to * -- definitely a bug.)
I know. A lot of my posts are going to look very strange because I have used " " for a non-breaking space. ·
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 09:33 PM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Congraduation for the successful upgrade!Hope new EMD bring us more info and interest.

It takes some time to get use to the interface.

For some reason the text looks smaller. I am using Firefox on Linux this morning

There is a parallel discussion of the 'new look' in the 'About this site' forum. May be a kind moderator could merge these two threads ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For some reason the text looks a smaller. I am using Firefox on Linux this morning
After reverting to 'Windows' the text size is back to normal. My font is set at 20 on Firebird (on Linux) and it's still too small for me to read.

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 26 Feb 2007 at 01:06 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 09:39 PM   #12
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Cool

Hi Edwin,

Fantastic upgrade! Thanks for keeping this such a great place to visit for so many years

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 09:40 PM   #13
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Unhappy

While I appreciate all the efforts and I'm sure I'll get use to it, this format seems to be much "busier" and much harder to read at a glance. The old format seemed to be cleaner.

Also, for me at least, buttons that are words like "Quote" and "Reply" are much easier to distinguish than icons that look similar.

This format also seems to take up a lot more screen space. Causing me to frequently scroll down to get to buttons to click.

And my Rank as a "Runbox Representative" has been lost.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Just as long as I don't in the meantime get twits^Wpeople mistaking me for a Fastmail.FM rep! That's what happened all the time until "Representative of:" was instated (and for a while afterward)...
Those were the good old days.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:09 PM   #15
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs down

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
I know. A lot of my posts are going to look very strange because I have used " " for a non-breaking space. ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post
While I appreciate all the efforts and I'm sure I'll get use to it, this format seems to be much "busier" and much harder to read at a glance. The old format seemed to be cleaner.

Also, for me at least, buttons that are words like "Quote" and "Reply" are much easier to distinguish than icons that look similar.

This format also seems to take up a lot more screen space. Causing me to frequently scroll down to get to buttons to click.

And my Rank as a "Runbox Representative" has been lost.

Regards,
Rich
Er, maybe we should have a rollback to the previous version?M This one is looking (to me) more and more like a giant leap backwards.

The only thing which strikes me as a genuine improvement is the great new "multi-quote" feature which I used for this reply (having heard about it on another board which uses this software); and to my mind this (partly because it's of limited usefulness) isn't adequate compensation for all the things which have been made worse by this "upgrade"...