EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2018, 12:34 AM   #16
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bell View Post
If you want to use Gmail, just stick a number on the end like everyone else does, and pay more attention to the rest of your resume. Of course you could always change your name.

No please don't do that! It looks really cheesy, immature and unprofessional. I'm a person who lets a lot of things slide (there can be a lot of reasons why something doesn't look an expected way!) but as a person who was a hiring manager in the past, I would really look at an email with a number on it and wonder (many times!)

However, young folks don't care and are used to it. So with a young hiring manager they won't care about that. I have to say better safe than sorry.

Use an initial in the middle, or spell out your full name. Mr. before the name just seems funny or strange.

Honestly using gmail is a better choice than having say, @hotmail or @yahoo as the tld. Best is a nice domain you own, especially if you're in the tech field.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2018, 10:30 PM   #17
rscaramelo

On a related note...say you get the personalized domain and more professional address then how would you go about using it and how would you migrate old emails? I know this can kind of be done within Gmail, Outlook, Fastmail, etc. Looking for the neatest and best way.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2018, 10:50 PM   #18
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
how would you go about using it and how would you migrate old emails? .
The answer is simple: it depends....
There are some providers which offer a migration tool to their accounts.
In general you may user more or less any IMAP-based program, eg Thunderbird,

MailStore Home got e few positive mentions in this forum.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2018, 06:58 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

Lots of different ways of handling having a new email address. I have done it numerous times and have found for me it is best to keep the old email address working for as long as possible--maybe forever--and just forward any emails from it to the new email address. Then it may be worthwhile to have a message in your signature at the new address saying something like, "Please note my new email address." However, maybe 10% of your correspondents will read that and actually do something about it, which is why I prefer to keep the old address forwarding. I still get important emails from addresses I haven't used regularly in 5-10 years. Things like job offers, or important financial information. I try to change all my major credit cards, banks, etc. to my new address, which can usually be done manually on their websites. However, even some of them will still send important emails to old addresses for years to come, with no apparent way to remove an old address that isn't even shown on your online profile. Go figure! Gradually, over the course of a few years you will find that 90-95% of your emails start coming in to the correct, new address. As to moving emails, it depends. You might want to just keep your old Gmail account to store up to 15GB of old email, and it can serve as a great way to archive and find old email with Google's unrivaled searched functionality. I can within seconds find emails from more than a decade ago. You can also send and receive email using your own domain for free from within an ordinary Gmail account.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2020, 11:33 PM   #20
bytegenius

How to Choose Email Name for Business

Getting a good email name on Gmail and Outlook of your choice is nearly impossible nowadays because most of the email addresses are already taken.

Below are some measures that you can follow before selecting a good email name:

1: Try with FirstName and LastName Combination
2: Try using DOT in between names
3: Avoid Using Nicknames
4: Avoid Using Numbers

For detailed guide visit: How to Choose Good Email Names
bytegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2020, 07:41 PM   #21
Milgi

I recently made an account with them. I have a common name in the English-speaking realm (first and last name are common), so it would appear a problem to find a good Gmail name. Actually, it wasn't so difficult - instead of putting my full name then a number at the end, as people usually do, I put the number in between my given name's initial and my surname. So my Gmail name is like this: j12smith
Milgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 05:50 AM   #22
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

How about firstname.lastname.mailing.address@gmail.com?
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 06:58 AM   #23
Milgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
How about firstname.lastname.mailing.address@gmail.com?
That is way too long. Something short is better than long email addresses. Less of a risk of someone making a typo and the email not arriving.
Milgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 04:17 PM   #24
damnfool

You can try these methods

A Good Email Name not only reflects your identity but also gives you an opportunity to stand out from the crowd. Here are some tips to have Good Email Names
damnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2021, 12:08 AM   #25
Anilkumar

Choose Mail ID Names

Choose good mail ids are very difficult. But you can use some tool and doing some brainstorming and find that.
Here's you can find good one, if follow some steps-
  1. you don't use number, if you have to use number then use in last of user name.
  2. You choose catchy word.

For More detail you can visit- choose a good email id
Anilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2021, 07:28 PM   #26
Abilari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Lots of different ways of handling having a new email address. I have done it numerous times and have found for me it is best to keep the old email address working for as long as possible--maybe forever--and just forward any emails from it to the new email address. Then it may be worthwhile to have a message in your signature at the new address saying something like, "Please note my new email address." However, maybe 10% of your correspondents will read that and actually do something about it, which is why I prefer to keep the old address forwarding. I still get important emails from addresses I haven't used regularly in 4-10 years. Things like job offers, or important financial information. I try to change all my major credit cards, banks, etc. to my new address, which can usually be done manually on their websites. However, even some of them will still send important emails to old addresses for years to come, with no apparent way to remove an old address that isn't even shown on your online profile. Go figure! Gradually, over the course of a few years you will find that 90-95% of your emails start coming in to the correct, new address. As to moving emails, it depends. You might want to just keep your old Gmail account to store up to 15GB of old email, and it can serve as a great way to archive and find old email with Google's unrivaled searched functionality. I can within seconds find emails from more than a decade ago. You can also send and receive email using your own domain for free from within an ordinary Gmail account.
Thanks for the tips. Do you have any idea if there's a possibility to somehow acquire an email address from Google if the owner is deceased?
Abilari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2021, 07:31 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Do you have any idea if there's a possibility to somehow acquire an email address from Google if the owner is deceased?
No, Gmail never releases old email addresses.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 07:31 AM   #28
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Other than what the OP asked about creating a professional gmail user name, and I hope I'm not drifting too far off topic, may I ask if other addresses would be appropriate or professional?

I have my firstname.lastname@

1. msn.com
2. aol.com
3. gmx.com
4. email.com
5. zoho.com
6. usa.com
7. outlook.com

My first and last name are not that unusual and I was very lucky to acquire these addresses.

Do you have any suggestions as to which would be the best name if any at all?

I also have my own domains but was just curious as to others opinions of these seven names I mentioned.

Thanks, BTW it's been a while since I last posted....
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2021, 07:41 AM   #29
TenFour
Master of the @

IMHO I think the most "professional" looking of the bunch would be the outlook.com one, simply because it is closely associated with Microsoft and Outlook, which are widely used in business. Gmail and Outlook are both widely used by all sorts of professional people. The other day I saw that some of the lawyers were using Gmail addresses in their Federal court filings. I've seen CEOs of companies use their Gmail addresses. While working for an email service provider we would often revert to using our own or client Gmail addresses when something wasn't working right with the domain email, which happens frequently. A lot of companies have lousy email systems!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 07:48 AM   #30
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
IMHO I think the most "professional" looking of the bunch would be the outlook.com one, simply because it is closely associated with Microsoft and Outlook, which are widely used in business. Gmail and Outlook are both widely used by all sorts of professional people. The other day I saw that some of the lawyers were using Gmail addresses in their Federal court filings. I've seen CEOs of companies use their Gmail addresses. While working for an email service provider we would often revert to using our own or client Gmail addresses when something wasn't working right with the domain email, which happens frequently. A lot of companies have lousy email systems!
Thanks for your input.

Like the OP, I can't get a really good gmail address. The best I could come up with for a gmail address was: first name middle initial lastname@gmail.com. Not terribly bad but not as good as I would like.

Thanks again......
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote