EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Jun 2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Current opinions on Runbox

In my search for the best option for my email needs, this one is next on the list to check (after I already contacted Polarismail and asked about EuMX)

The service has its own subforum but in the generic forum in topics "which service would you recommend?" they're not frequently mentioned. Could be for various reasons though, of which some positive (eg the users being satisfied enough not to check the generic forums anymore and thus missing out on the "which would you recommend" topics)

I notice that the testimonial/appraisal topics however are quite old in the Runbox subforum, there's been no recent appraisals posted for quite a long time. Can the users please post their opinions on how the service is now?

Also, while I never trust wikipedia without doublechecking (hence why I ask it here it it's true or not ), wikipedia states the service has had financial losses for the last few years. Could this have any impact on the long-term survival of the service or is it for sure that Runbox is there to stay for the forseeable future?
(again, I never trust wikipedia without verifying, and asking on this forum with Runbox representatives seems the best place to verify if that rumour on Wiki is even true or not... May be a rumour or someone trying + failing to be funny)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Jun 2012, 04:40 AM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Well, here's the page that Wikipedia links to. Paste it into Google Chrome to translate it into English. I don't know what half of those numbers mean, but at the end it says "operating margin" has been negative from 2008 to 2010. Not sure how reliable the data is, though. The web page also gives no information about 2011, when Runbox was bought out by its employees. Such a large change in the ownership structure can't be ignored when judging a company's finances.

As I wrote in another thread, I've been trying out Runbox lately (as a possible replacement for FM in case it goes under), and their current system leaves a lot to be desired in terms of features and basic security. The heavily modified Courier IMAP server they're using is also quite buggy. But support promises me that a new webmail is coming very soon, as well as a better IMAP server in the future, so I'm going to wait and see.

The fact that Runbox doesn't offer much resources per dollar might have contributed to their (perceived) decline. For $34.95, I get 5GB of storage, 1GB of transfer per week, 10 aliases, and one personal domain. For the same price, I could get 10GB of storage, 2GB of transfer per day, 100 aliases, and 50 personal domains at FM (with the multi-year discount). Not to mention that EuMX and Polarismail offer 25GB of space for much less money, apparently without sacrificing reliability. (You do get a lot of resources at the top of the pricing tiers, but then you're competing with LuxSci et al. who can offer much more features.)

In fact I don't need anywhere near that much space, but I can see why casual shoppers might decide to skip Runbox in favor of cheaper offerings.

Some positive remarks:

- Support is kind, knowledgeable, and relatively fast.
- Runbox is located entirely in Norway, which affords them one of the best privacy protections in the world.
- Runbox is owned by employees and supports free software. They even host their servers with a company named "copyleft".

Last edited by kijinbear : 4 Jun 2012 at 07:46 AM.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2012, 06:45 AM   #3
digp
Master of the @

Give them a try.

I have.

Want to see if they have improved.

On the mini + accounts you get two years for the price of one.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
hobbes

Runbox can never be an option for me while they continue their policy of limiting the number of domains that can be hosted.

To host my domains I would have to pay double what I currently pay Fastmail.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
digp
Master of the @

I see what you mean.

I did not know it was so limited.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
As mentioned previously, the staff and key personnel of Runbox founded a new company in May 2011 and bought the email service from the company that had been running it since 1999. The financial situation is quite different from what the Wikipedia article states, and we are more positive about our future than we have been in years.

We are currently reevaluating our pricing of add-ons such as aliases and email domains, and appreciate your input.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2012, 06:49 AM   #7
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
As mentioned previously, the staff and key personnel of Runbox founded a new company in May 2011 and bought the email service from the company that had been running it since 1999. The financial situation is quite different from what the Wikipedia article states, and we are more positive about our future than we have been in years.

We are currently reevaluating our pricing of add-ons such as aliases and email domains, and appreciate your input.

- Geir
Thank for the update, Geir. Could you give us some more info about the "new" Runbox - who is in, who is out, your location, plans etc.?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:18 AM   #8
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Runbo...127.38,,0,1.39

Seems to be a nice place
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:22 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post

They have graffiti (out front) - on the gate post
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They have graffiti (out front) - on the gate post
I ran that graffiti through Google Translate and, apparently, it means "Stop charging for extra hosted domains!"

Weird, huh?

hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2012, 01:11 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
I ran that graffiti through Google Translate and, apparently, it means "Stop charging for extra hosted domains!"

Weird, huh?

That it is - possibly it was written by one of our forum members
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2012, 02:26 AM   #12
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post

Weird, huh?

Love it!!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
The financial situation is quite different from what the Wikipedia article states, and we are more positive about our future than we have been in years.
Do you not think it would be in your company interest to update the wiki?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2012, 11:22 AM   #14
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Do you not think it would be in your company interest to update the wiki?
Unfortunately it would probably violate one of Wikipedia's conflict-of-interest policies if the Runbox staff themselves did the update. Certainly autobiographical articles are frowned upon, if not explicitly forbidden...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2012, 11:29 AM   #15
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
Unfortunately it would probably violate one of Wikipedia's conflict-of-interest policies if the Runbox staff themselves did the update. Certainly autobiographical articles are frowned upon, if not explicitly forbidden...
I agree. Wikipedia articles need sources. Once Runbox makes some sort of official statement with concrete figures, somebody else will be able to update Wikipedia using the official statement as a source.

On the other hand...