EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Aug 2009, 01:15 AM   #1
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Polaris Secure Webmail Session ?

Hi,

I've been trying out Polarismail's webmail after not having used it for some months now. I just noticed that, by default anyway, it does not provide a secure/SSL email session. I thought a very professional service like this would have that -- or at least have it as an option, but I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

Does anyone know if Polaris does, in fact, have optional https email session settings ?

If they don't have it, would anyone think this makes the service more vulnerable/less usable ?

Thanks !

sd

Last edited by B4its2L8 : 19 Aug 2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: made title more accurately reflect discussion
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Aug 2009, 03:34 AM   #2
Luzo
Essential Contributor

I don't think they offer a secure way to connect to their webmail, as you just have to point a CNAME to begin using the service. For that reason, I would'nt advise to (+/- heavily) use their webmail (it would mean that every time I connect to their server, I send my password clearly on the net...), and opt instead for their secure IMAP access.

Now, even if they did offer HTTPS access, I would'nt use their services. I believe that when you ask help/support from them, you are waiting for an answer, atleast within a week (like Lavabit). Twice, I sent to George (aka Polarismail) an email, and nerver got a reply (the mails were sent 3 weeks ago, and still no answer...). Just my 2 cents.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
malcontent
Essential Contributor

I emailed support asking a pre-sale question and never received an answer. This was months ago, and still no reply. I don't plan to do business with them anytime soon.
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:09 PM   #4
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thanks for the responses. I think, to play it safe, I'll steer clear of them for the time being and wait to see what their service is like, and what others think of it, in 6 mo. to a year.

sd
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:59 PM   #5
George_B
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Hi Guys,

we do indeed offer SSL service for Webmail and the address is:

https://webmail.emailarray.com/

The way we work with Webmail is that we encourage customers to create their own webmail CNAME that points to webmail.emailarray.com.

This allows for a more personalized service and also allows you to brand the Webmail to your own Name/Logo. For customers that request it, we can also install their own SSL certificate.

For those that don't have their own certificate but still want to use SSL and their own Webmail address, it is safe to do so except you will have an SSL warning because the domain name does not match.

We are currently in the process of upgrading the Webmail to Atmail 6 which has an improved interface and many new features.

Malcontent, I am sorry your request was not handled properly by our sales department. If you wish to try our service again, drop me an e-mail to george AT polarismail. com or send me a PM and I will be sure to make it up to you.

Best Regards,
George

Moderator: Fixed "live" email address to avoid spambots.

Last edited by Sherry : 15 Aug 2009 at 02:04 AM.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
Hi Guys,

we do indeed offer SSL service for Webmail and the address is:

https://webmail.emailarray.com/
Thanks for the information ! It seems to work very smoothly !

Quote:
We are currently in the process of upgrading the Webmail to Atmail 6 which has an improved interface and many new features.
I noticed that AtMail's html composition is only available when using FF. I tend to use Opera much more often (or Iron, the Chrome-like browser from SRWare.net). These latter two browsers only do html composition with some webmail interfaces (Gmail, Fastmail, Yahoo), but not with Polarismail. Is there any chance of making your new AtMail interface adaptable for Opera users who wish to compose in html ?

Just wondering.

Also, I noticed that the emailarray login screen is always shifted to the left a bit in every browser I use to login. Very annoying, I'm afraid, even though I can figure out what information to put in the boxes. And I must press "Enter" to login, since the login button is entirely off-screen to the left !

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements lie in AtMail 6. (I hope one of the new features is autosave !)

Thank you again for your response !

(Btw, in my Opera 9 I'm able to login to cp.emailarray.com easily using its Wand. But when I try logging in via Opera 10 beta or Iron or FF with the same information (username/password -- I've verified I'm using the correct ones) typed in by hand, I always get "invalid login" !! It seems I'd better make sure not to lose the Opera 9 login info for the above site or I'll be unable to manage the domain !!)

sd

Last edited by B4its2L8 : 15 Aug 2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added the "Btw."
Old 18 Aug 2009, 06:44 AM   #7
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Hmmm... it seems that AtMail 6 is going to be more Opera-friendly (I hope that includes being able to compose in html) -- and it's going to have conversation views like Gmail !
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
it's going to be a major improvement over Atmail 5 that's for sure.

We are also getting requests to install other more lightweight Webmail software ( such as Squirrelmail ) and it's definetely something we're going to do.

For Atmail 6, the only reason for not installing it yet is that it's too recent. They just pushed 6.0 and we do not consider it stable until it reaches at least version 6.1.

We might upgrade sooner and I'll make sure to post here when we do.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 01:13 AM   #9
FromNL

Quote:
We are also getting requests to install other more lightweight Webmail software ( such as Squirrelmail ) and it's definetely something we're going to do.
Please also consider RoundCube; it's a clean, fast and nice looking webinterface. It's a bit less on features but that's isn't a con for me.
FromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 05:15 AM   #10
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
it's going to be a major improvement over Atmail 5 that's for sure.

For Atmail 6, the only reason for not installing it yet is that it's too recent. They just pushed 6.0 and we do not consider it stable until it reaches at least version 6.1.

We might upgrade sooner and I'll make sure to post here when we do.
Yes, I'm not a big fan of the AtMail 5 that Polaris has now. Very lacking in features (and not very aesthetically pleasing, IMO). No auto-forwarding (that I can see), no identities/personalities/aliases, no auto-BCC/CC, etc. I don't know if these are more AtMail issues or Polaris ones, but it would be nice to see these features and others implemented when the AtMail 6 is finally ready for Polaris prime-time (though I haven't checked the Atmail 6 demo's yet to see if these features are included or not).

I used to like Squirrelmail, but not so much anymore, but it's nice that you're giving users options. I'm really looking forward to seeing Polaris implement the new Atmail. Thanks, George, for keeping us updated !

sd
Old 29 Aug 2009, 12:36 AM   #11
pc77

I love the lavabit minimalistic interface

is fast and clean
pc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2009, 03:21 AM   #12
kelly

Thumbs up Polarismail support

This past Sunday about noon time I emailed Polarismail to reset my admin password. I had lost it when my harddrive crashed.
Checking my email a couple of hours later, I had a reply from George asking for identity verification.
After replying with the requested info, I got my new password when I checked several hours later.
The lapse time from my request to receiving the the new password was about six hours.

I'm not sure what is the normal/expected time frame for internet services support but I would say this is blazing fast. And on a weekend to boot!

Thanks again George!

Last edited by kelly : 16 Dec 2009 at 03:29 AM.
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2009, 07:45 PM   #13
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
For those that noticed, we had a small downtime for Webmail this morning.

We attempted to upgrade over to Atmail 6 after preparing the installation with their team. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and we had to revert back to 5.61.

We will be trying again tomorrow morning but let me know here if you notice any issues with Webmail today.

Thank you!
Old 30 Dec 2009, 06:09 PM   #14
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
We managed to get it off the ground and it's still in testing phase.

For those that wish to try it out before we bring it into full production, you can test it out here:

http://atmail.polarismail.com

The new CalDav service is really great as it allows syncing with a large variety devices and applications.

Let me know if you notice any issues or bugs.

Thank you!
Old 30 Dec 2009, 09:44 PM   #15
B4its2L8
Master of the @

I've started a new thread on the AtMail 6 upgrade here, if that's okay.

sd