EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 6 May 2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Steven Avery

Verizon email shutting down

They are giving a supposedly transparent option to go to AOL-mail, keeping the email address.

It looks like the first announcments on this were in late February (there is discussion on the Verizon forums.)

=====================

VERIZON

Coming Soon! Verizon will no longer provide verizon.net email service; but, you’ll have options. Stay tuned for updates! Learn more

We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Use any other email provider” to complete the setup.
https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...migrations.htm

=====================

My Verizon mail was my main account for about 10+ years, augmented by gmail accounts that would forward to the Verizon account. I kept it even when I left Verizon internet due to moving, using something called Verizon Your Domain "VYD" or KeepYourEmail. The cost for my multiple accounts was $20/year.

Since I rarely use webmail, I will probably try to do the AOL thing. Verizon, apparently, now owns AOL (something they do not tell the customers in the announcement.) Maybe Yahoo, too. Maybe I will just junk it totally, ads and other problems, apparently AOL wants $5/month to have decent no ad service.

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery : 6 May 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 May 2017, 12:58 AM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Here is another EmailDiscussions thread on this topic:
http://emaildiscussions.com/showpost...73&postcount=1
It's pretty well known that Verizon owns AOL and is purchasing Yahoo!
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Steven Avery

Thanks, it is a helpful discussion.

However, it does not touch on shutting down the gazillion (4.5 million) Verizon email addies, (or maybe subscribers) which has been a relatively solid, stable and painless experience, when used as a POP-download spot.

"And making this switch will bring an unadvertised benefit Verizon spokesman Raymond McConville noted in an e-mail: You’ll be able to keep that Verizon address even if you move to a different Internet provider, because “the verizon.net email is technically no longer tied to their broadband service.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...aol/99146600/#

Does that mean it will be portable to the fav services used here?

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery : 9 May 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 01:39 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Verizon.net move to AOL email details

My Verizon FIOS internet, telephone, and cable television services (and verizon.net email account, which I never use) were sold by Verizon to Frontier Communications in February 2016. Verizon has left the wireline business in many parts of the US, so they moved these customers to AOL (which is owned by Verizon). Now they are moving the remaining Verizon email accounts to AOL.

The way I remember this working for me over a year ago was that I was given the opportunity to move one verizon.net alias I was using to AOL. The AOL login and email address is that old verizon.net address. I believe that the address book and calendar were also moved in addition to the email store.

The comment about “the verizon.net email is technically no longer tied to their broadband service" is because after you get the AOL account with a verizon.net address you could drop your Verizon services and keep that AOL account. For example, my ISP account was moved from to Frontier when Verizon sold their ISSo I no longer have a Verizon account, but still can use the verizon.net email address.

The AOL account does allow you to forward incoming mail to an external email account, but it forwards all mail without keeping it at AOL. So after entering the forwarding address you won't receive any email in the AOL Inbox.

More about accessing the AOL account via IMAP and POP at:Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote