EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 18 Feb 2005, 06:40 AM   #1
gysca

need advice on my home network

hello,

I've been reading the threads below regarding to firewall, router, antivirus, browser, etc.

I would like to get some advice on what product I should use to protect the computers. currently I'm using DSL, with D-Link 704P router, 1 desktop running XP pro SP2, and 1 notebook running XP pro SP1 (my hubby hate SP2 so he uninstalled it from the notebook). in a few months there'll be an addition to the network (probably a desktop operated by a person who just know how to browse the internet and using ebay to buy stuff and doesn't care on cleaning up and taking care of the computer).

currently, the desktop is protected by Norton AV, Grisoft AVG Free, Webroot's Window Washer and Spy Sweeper, and newly installed Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.5 (I've read that 5.6 is bad, so I didn't install it). the notebook is protected by Grisoft AVG Free, Webroot's Window Washer and Spy Sweeper, and Zone Alarm Free version 5.5 (not sure).

I've tested the desktop using the link I found in one of the thread (GRC.com something). the result is always "FAILED!" regardless of what firewall I'm using (1st test runs when the computer's running ZA, 2nd test running Sygate). the failed tests are: solicited TCP packets and Ping reply. when the computer test the ports, everything's green (stealth mode) and only port 113 (Ident) is blue. I don't know much about networking (that's why I only get a B- in this subject during college time) and I'm worried if I did do something wrong. or is my router getting too old so it doesn't perform what it should do?

I'm asking this now because within a month +, the other person who doesn't clean the computer will come and live together with us. I don't want any of my computer fell victim because of that person's bad habit of using the computer. the anti virus is never updated and windows update is never performed. the good thing is, the person's using dial-up, so it should be free from hacking, but the person usually called my hubby every 3 months or so, asking him to "fix" the computer's perfomance. my hubby reported that the IE cookies that he found is about 20MB + and the temporary internet files took about 15-30 minutes to be cleaned up. not including the spyware and adware cleaning.... me and hubby are using Firefox now (bye bye IE) but I doubt that this person will resent migrating from IE to Firefox. the person think that AOL is the best and fastest ISP in the world, aside from high speed Netzero that the person's using right now because it's cheaper.

please, anyone? any advice? sorry if I ramble on personal stuff but that's the starting point of me getting worried.
gysca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Feb 2005, 07:24 AM   #2
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Simply refuse to repair his computer. If he decides to use it wrecklessly, it should no longer be your business to repair it.

What also may be useful is to ensure he doesn't know that you are running a faster connection. That's sure to cause trouble.

What also be advisable is to teach the person how to lock down the system. Then you can really scold them if they refuse to listen.

As for your problem with the TCP port things...Hmmm...

If the router is unable to block these types of attacks, then there is a problem.

Are you sure you are running only one firewall? I can see this happening when you're running two.

I also see you are running Norton AV and AVG antivirus. It is unadvisable to use dual antiviruses, as they may cause conflicts. I have in the past had trouble with ZoneAlarm, so I recommend approaching with caution.

I guess to keep things safe keep the person on dial up, password protect your computers, and refuse to repair his machine. He'll think twice before busting it up again.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2005, 03:38 PM   #3
bplat

Gysca,

One thing you should be aware of when you use GRC.COM is that it's very likely it's testing your router rather than your PC. If your setup is anything like mine, it's something like this:

ISP -> ip address 62.216.11.something -> your router -> ip address 192.168.1.something -> your PC

When you test using GRC.COM, it will test using the ip address your router gets from your isp, rather than the ip address your pc gets from your router. Hence, it will test the router rather than your pc. If you want to test how well protected your pc is, *behind* the router, you'd need to hook it up directly to your cable/dsl/phone modem. Although very few hardware routers pass all tests (they're usually too 'dumb' for that), they often have some sort of firewall built-in.

Having said all that, the primary protection is one you already have in place: awareness. I think you're pretty well protected.

-...ert
bplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2005, 04:54 AM   #4
gysca

xbot & bplat, thanks for the input. I guess I can't do much more rather than walling myself in I wish I could keep that ignorant person on the dial up, but what's the point of having DSL if you're still using the phone line to get to internet?

I got a question that probably sounds dumb. let's say there are 3 or 4 PCs connected to the router. if one PC is infected with a worm/virus, will it spread via router and infect the other connected PCs? I never experienced this, so I would like to get some info on it.

I made myself believe that if one PC is infected with an adware/spyware, it will not spread to other PCs. I say this because my Spy Sweeper detect and clean multiple spy/adware from 2 different computers that's connected to the router now, and it doesn't infect each other.
gysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2005, 05:02 AM   #5
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by gysca
xbot & bplat, thanks for the input. I guess I can't do much more rather than walling myself in I wish I could keep that ignorant person on the dial up, but what's the point of having DSL if you're still using the phone line to get to internet?

I got a question that probably sounds dumb. let's say there are 3 or 4 PCs connected to the router. if one PC is infected with a worm/virus, will it spread via router and infect the other connected PCs? I never experienced this, so I would like to get some info on it.

I made myself believe that if one PC is infected with an adware/spyware, it will not spread to other PCs. I say this because my Spy Sweeper detect and clean multiple spy/adware from 2 different computers that's connected to the router now, and it doesn't infect each other.
Use your human injinuity! Get some cheap speed optimizer and optimize it for dial up
Old 19 Feb 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
[i]
[/b]
Most routers will respond to PING; a few might have the ability to disable this. Very little should be able to get past the router, though. What does should be caught by your firewall. If you're still concerned about the careless guest's PC hygiene, you could divide your network by using another router:
Code:
DSL-----Router1
          +-----------Guest's PC
          +----Router2
                    +------Your PC
                    +------Your other PC 
                    +------etc.
This would keep the guest's PC 'outside' of your sub-net.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2005, 07:03 PM   #7
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: need advice on my home network

Quote:
Originally posted by gysca
I'm asking this now because within a month +, the other person who doesn't clean the computer will come and live together with us. I don't want any of my computer fell victim because of that person's bad habit of using the computer. the anti virus is never updated and windows update is never performed. the good thing is, the person's using dial-up, so it should be free from hacking, but the person usually called my hubby every 3 months or so, asking him to "fix" the computer's perfomance. my hubby reported that the IE cookies that he found is about 20MB + and the temporary internet files took about 15-30 minutes to be cleaned up. not including the spyware and adware cleaning.... me and hubby are using Firefox now (bye bye IE) but I doubt that this person will resent migrating from IE to Firefox. the person think that AOL is the best and fastest ISP in the world, aside from high speed Netzero that the person's using right now because it's cheaper.

please, anyone? any advice? sorry if I ramble on personal stuff but that's the starting point of me getting worried.
Using WinXP and I assume that computer is your property. Then you should create a user account (profile) for this person. Give him restricted or standard access. In this way he can't install any junks as well as any spyware junks can't be installed since installation requires admin access. Installing SP2 is the best way to block those internet scripts. Set your Windows autoupdate to auto so that it will update itself whenever there are new updates. Use an anti virus that have an autoupdate feature. Any of those antivirus big boys (eg. Trend Micro, McAfee) have autoupdate to update them whenever there is an new update.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2005, 07:12 PM   #8
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
I don't recommend SP2. Everyone who's tried it so far (including me) have found bugs that render SP2 unusuable. Some can use it, but others can't. There's a risk involved you could say