EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 26 May 2010, 05:08 AM   #1
joesurfsand

gmail replicating sent messages, not saving deleted

I'm no "techno geek" and, for months, I've been having a big-time gmail MESS. I haven't tried to address this here, in this format, coz merely getting on to this blog is an alien thing, for me.

i've got a MacBook with gmail installed into my computer under Mac's "mail" option. (this is the same set-up I used on my last Mac for five years w/out problems.)
ON this machine, I've got two maddening developments:
1) when I compose an outgoing message, the message continues to replicate itself like some kind of runaway cancer, currently in the "trash" folder (example: 15 duplicates in 13 minutes!!!)
(I'm assuming this problem is related: A simple email might take 15 seconds, rather than one or two, to send. Has nothing to do with what kind of wireless I'm on.) This problem appears in the "trash" folder which is in the lower part of the options list on the left side of gmail under "reminders," NOT the trash folder under "mailboxes."
WHen I first detected this problem, it was occurring in a more intrusive way: in the drafts folder.
I took the machine into the apple store, and the guys at the genius bar recommended I uninstall gmail on my computer, then, reinstall it. With 3,000 + emails on record, This took HOURS in transferring everything onto gmail (OFF the computer, then, back on.)
This "cancer" has not been cured, it only has shifted in location of occurrence (to trash, instead of on drafts.) The highly knowledgeable computer geeks at the Genius bar (washington square store, Portland OR) have thrown up their hands. They're stumped!

2) The computer is not saving deleted gmail messages. In the first (of two boxes, why two??? I don't know!) there are NO deleted messages. In the second (further down) folder also referred to as "deleted messages" - deleted messages have stopped as of April 22. (we tested this at the genius bar in the Apple store, by deleting a message. We could then not track it- ANYWHERE!!!
This is potentially a BIG PROBLEM should I accidently delete an important message.

As I note, I am NOT a techno person. I am a 71 year old man. These (two) problems are HUGELY FRUSTRATING !!!!
IN many ways, gmail has been great, for years, but I'm seriously wondering if it is viable to continue with it.

If anybody has a clue about what this "sickness" is and how to cure it, please advise, If I can't follow your instructions myself, I will take this back to the Apple store and show it to people at the genius bar (who usually know what they're doing.)
Thank you
joesurfsand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 May 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
jrafter
Essential Contributor

I had this happen, too – it turned out the multiple copies of sent mail in the trash were actually drafts saved by Gmail at different moments as I was composing, and then deleted (into the trash) by Gmail. I solved this in Mail.app by selecting Mail's Preferences > Accounts > Gmail (or whatever your Gmail account is named) > Mailbox Behaviors > uncheck _Store draft messages on the server.

While you're in that Preferences window, make sure that both boxes under Trash are also checked (_Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox and _Store deleted messages on the server). Then, return to the main messages window, highlight the Trash mailbox under Gmail in the left window, and open the pulldown menu under Mailbox, and select Use this mailbox for > Trash. That should fix the disappearing trash problem.

Hope this helps!
jrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 06:39 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forums joesurfsand. It might be that your computer is infected with a virus. Do you have an AV program installed on your computer?

Here is a link to a free McAfee virus scan. (it's a paid program though)

Totally free virus scanner is available here

I use AvastAV personally (the free edition)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
joesurfsand

gmail replication problem

THANKS for this advice. I am o'ses right now, which makes me more scared than ever to try and "innovate" with computer where one mis-step could put me into a hole. BUT- I have saved your valuable points in text edit format on my desktop and will show them to the genius bar guy at the Mac store, upon my return. It would be a relief to get this solved!!
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrafter View Post
I had this happen, too – it turned out the multiple copies of sent mail in the trash were actually drafts saved by Gmail at different moments as I was composing, and then deleted (into the trash) by Gmail. I solved this in Mail.app by selecting Mail's Preferences > Accounts > Gmail (or whatever your Gmail account is named) > Mailbox Behaviors > uncheck _Store draft messages on the server.

While you're in that Preferences window, make sure that both boxes under Trash are also checked (_Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox and _Store deleted messages on the server). Then, return to the main messages window, highlight the Trash mailbox under Gmail in the left window, and open the pulldown menu under Mailbox, and select Use this mailbox for > Trash. That should fix the disappearing trash problem.

Hope this helps!
Old 28 May 2010, 06:56 PM   #5
joesurfsand

gmail replication problem

Thanks for response. Did I make it clear that it is a MAC computer that I am using? Do Mac's get viruses?
And would a virus affect ONLY gmail and nothing else?
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Welcome to the forums joesurfsand. It might be that your computer is infected with a virus. Do you have an AV program installed on your computer?

Here is a link to a free McAfee virus scan. (it's a paid program though)

Totally free virus scanner is available here

I use AvastAV personally (the free edition)