EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: how did you come to know about fastmail
google search "best webmail etc etc .." 35 34.65%
friends 19 18.81%
emaildiscussions 46 45.54%
signature on some1's guest account 0 0%
about.com 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Dec 2004, 01:00 PM   #1
pamara

Arrow how did you come to know fastmail ?

each time i start a conversation about having a professional email id with my friends .... it eventually comes to me talking endlessly about fastmail to them..... i hate their ignorance about fastmail and almost always it has been me telling them about it first....

wondering why it still is not as well known as hotmail or yahoo or gmail... yeah i know at emaildiscussions , fastmail has a cult following .. but what abt others.....
pamara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Dec 2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Prognathous
Master of the @

I searched the web and read quite a few reviews before choosing Fastmail.

Just as interesting is the question "why did leave your previous email service?", in which case my answer is simple - I've had it with services that keep changing their terms-of-agreement (in my case, hotmail.com deleting my Sent Items folder without proper acknowledgement), so I decided to go for a paid service. Choosing fastmail.fm was the next logical step. I haven't looked back ever since

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 02:44 PM   #3
pamara

for me it was actual a 2 stage process...
i did a generic search on google... got pointed to emaildiscussions.com and the next obvious thing was fastmail....

i am begining to think if this was the only way JH chose to let people know about fastmail primarily ??
are there more ways in which we can let people know about fastmail ...( considering the many different combinations of words which people might use in google to do thier search) ...
pamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 03:22 PM   #4
mcowger
Cornerstone of the Community

I searched for "IMAP sieve" and clicked on a google text ad for FM.
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 03:26 PM   #5
Sherry

As more and more free services started stopping POP3 access I would do a search on google for free services that offered it. When I read how FM offered an alternate port and had Aliases, I went with them.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 04:12 PM   #6
Fenman

Through emaildiscussions and then I kicked myself for buying a paid Yahoo account only a month before.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 05:38 PM   #7

Search engine (I don't use Google ) (I have not voted yet).
Old 12 Dec 2004, 10:09 PM   #8
hellie
Essential Contributor

After problems with hotmail and yahoo I did a google and search and found bluebottle through bluebottle I found EMD. I then evaluated the email services everyone was talking about and found fastmail.

Helen
hellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2004, 10:36 PM   #9
fmnewbee
Master of the @

Not sure yet. Could have been here or ...

a review from
http://email.about.com/cs/freeemailr...tmail_free.htm

or more likely from Edwin on his site. http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_imap.htm

But I am rather sure of that I joined here using another username and then asked things about IMAP and setting it up on Opera M2 maybe and then I forgot that username and became a member as fmnewbee which reflect I was sold on IMAP for free. To me to osteep kearning curve, I have an account but stil ldon't use it. too afraid to lose all mail.

But the fact that I failed to set up FM IMAP on Opera M2 for some month and now use ThunderBird and fail to use IMAP with that one too show why I don't rembmer. It is to ebarrassing to not be able to use even a free feature due to me too confused about structures.

trew

Last edited by fmnewbee : 12 Dec 2004 at 10:51 PM.
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 03:20 AM   #10
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Well, the one that comes closest is the google search. But if I remember correctly, I was searching for ane email service that would allow email client access. This was immediately after Yahoo had discontinued its free POP retrieval and I was mad as hell at them for that.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 08:12 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Earlier this year I was getting blasted by "joe job" and other spam attacks, so I was looking at changing my email provider. I have a friend who has a FastMail email address. She liked the service, so I looked at the FastMail website and then the emailaddresses.com discussion board.

In addition to the basic features, the other things that led me to try FastMail were the active discussions within the community of users and the interactions with the FastMail representatives.

I feel that with FastMail there are competent professionals working to re-invent a better email service. In addition to their technical abilities, it's obvious to me that these are reasonable business professionals who saw what happened in the dot.com bubble and instead want to make an independent email service which is profitable (so that it won't collapse under a bad business model). They want to provide only an email service, not an advertising vehicle like most of the big providers.

Here in the US, I like our public television, which has nearly no commercial content. To me, FastMail is the email equivalent to public television. You are asked to pay an amount appropriate for your usage of the service, rather than having to suffer an advertising barrage.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 09:00 AM   #12
psalzer

I had a visto.com account. I hardly ever used it, because it was slow and unreliable, but it had great features and 15 MB of space in the free account which was pretty big at the time. I used to check in every so often to see if it had improved in the speed and reliability areas and one day there was a notice that they were shutting down the e-mail service and they had a link to Fastmail as a possible alternative. Turned out that Fastmail was better than Visto ever was and Fastmail was still beta then, although it was very close to going commercial.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 11:21 AM   #13
DianeB

Oddly enough, (or maybe not ), I was doing a search (non Google) for a new ISP, and happened to stumble upon FM by sheer accident. I must have been impressed with what I read, & made my way to the forums, and the rest was/is history.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 12:24 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

I found Fastmail by sheer chance (when searching for something unrelated to email) They were still free at that point in time, And were giving away 100Mb of storage. I sort of watched and waited (to make sure it was not a quick scam) I opened up a paid account shortly after they went paid. They had an "incentive" (free member account) if you bought Full. I have had a paid account since then

And am wasting my member account
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2004, 05:35 PM   #15
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I had a visto.com account. I hardly ever used it, because it was slow and unreliable, but it had great features and 15 MB of space in the free account which was pretty big at the time. I used to check in every so often to see if it had improved in the speed and reliability areas and one day there was a notice that they were shutting down the e-mail service and they had a link to Fastmail as a possible alternative. Turned out that Fastmail was better than Visto ever was and Fastmail was still beta then, although it was very close to going commercial.
Ditto! I don't remember how I exactly found FM, but I know I was looking for a good mail provider when visto went down...
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote