EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 May 2021, 09:16 AM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Mailto: Links... How to set Fastmail as Default?

I used to use the "Mailto" chrome extension to get "Mailto:" links to open Fastmail.

But, now Chrome says that "Mailto" has broken the Chrome Store rules.

Bummer...

How do I get Mailto Links to open Fastmail?

When I open Gmail, I get two diamonds in the Address Bar, and if I click on it, it asks me if mail.google.com should be the default handler for Mailto: links.

I don't see the same thing, when I open Fastmail...

Is there any way to get Chrome (and chrome based browsers) to open Mailto: links with Fastmail???

THANKS!

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 May 2021, 12:21 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Use the Fastmail Settings "Mailto links" button

The Fastmail Settings>Customize>Preferences>Compose & Reply>Mailto links>Open mailto links from other sites in Fastmail button works for me. I just tested this with Chrome v90.0.4430.93 with Windows 10 (latest updated version). In Windows Settings>Apps>Default apps be sure that Google Chrome is selected for Email.

This will open Fastmail in Chrome. It works for me even in I have closed all Chrome windows and I click on a mailto: link in Firefox by opening a new Chrome browser session automatically.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 11:56 PM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
It's hidden under advanced... It needs to be more prominent. Also, please put the link in the address bar, like Gmail does.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
It's hidden under advanced... It needs to be more prominent. Also, please put the link in the address bar, like Gmail does.
On finding it, for me the current UI is OK. A Google search for Fastmail mailto shows the appropriate help page as the top result. I agree that having the link in the address bar is nice.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 04:46 AM   #5
mballas
Essential Contributor

[quote=n5bb;621007]The Fastmail Settings>Customize>Preferences>Compose & Reply>Mailto links>Open mailto links from other sites in Fastmail button works for me. I just tested this with Chrome v90.0.4430.93 with Windows 10 (latest updated version). In Windows Settings>Apps>Default apps be sure that Google Chrome is selected for Email.

This will open Fastmail in Chrome. It works for me even in I have closed all Chrome windows and I click on a mailto: link in Firefox by opening a new Chrome browser session automatically.

Why doesn't it work in Safari?
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 06:04 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mballas View Post
Why doesn't it work in Safari?
Bill's tests were done using Windows 10. Which operating system were you using?
Old 3 May 2021, 06:18 AM   #7
mballas
Essential Contributor

Safari version 14.1. On Catalina
Old 3 May 2021, 06:38 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mballas View Post
Safari version 14.1. On Catalina
I do not have access to a macOS system these days. If you want a mailto to open Fastmail in Safari, the first thing I would check (after the Fastmail setting described in Fastmail's help and by Bill above) is the default Mail program in macOS under Mail->Preferences. To have any chance of working, this presumably must be set to Safari. It is possible that some kind of helper program (which would be specified as the default Mail Reader) is necessary to make things work in macOS. Perhaps, someone else can help.

EDIT: I found https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201607. That implies that MacOS does not support webmail as the default mail reader. However, https://www.connect.ucsb.edu/help/fa...google-web-app shows it is technically possible when using Google Chrome on macOS. I cannot help further without a macOS system for testing.

Last edited by BritTim : 3 May 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 4 May 2021, 09:18 AM   #9
jhollington
Essential Contributor

The short and sad answer is that Safari doesn't support this... You'll be told as much if you try visit the Fastmail setting to enable it...

https://share.hollington.ca/fastmail...-on-Safari.png

Fortunately, there's a workaround in the form of an $2 app on the Mac App Store that's basically a Safari Extension. There used to be a free extension for older Mac OS X versions, but after Safari moved to app-bundled extensions sometime around macOS Sierra (10.12), that one no longer works. There may be other free options on the App Store, but this one seems to be reliable and regularly updated, so I figure it's worth the price of a cup of coffee...

https://apps.apple.com/app/open-in-w...51552749?mt=12

It also natively supports FastMail directly, so you don't need to worry about figuring out the "compose" URL for yourself.

https://share.hollington.ca/open-in-webmail.png

Note that with this app you don't need to worry about setting FastMail to open mailto: links — in fact, you'll still be told that it's not supported in Safari. However, what you simply do instead is set the "Open in Webmail" app to be your default Mail app on macOS, at which point it will turn around and open FastMail for you in Safari (or any other web browser of your choice).
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:28 PM   #10
mballas
Essential Contributor

Thank you for the link to that app. It is a needed change although the malito function seems much less in use today than it was earlier.