EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Feb 2020, 09:18 AM   #1
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Signatures: Plain Text / HTML

If my memory serves... FM had a holder for both an HTML signature and a plain text signature for a given sending identity.

Selection of the signature, plain-text or html, was automatic.
If replying to a plain text email, the plain text signature was inserted.
Similarly if replying to an html formatted email, the html signature was selected.

Today I am finding that when I reply to a plain text email, only the html signature is used.
This causes problems because the html tags are included and the signature looks messy and needs cleaning up.

On investigating my sending identity, I can find only one field to enter my signature - being the html version.
What's happened to the alternative plain text signature?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Feb 2020, 03:34 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I agree this looks like a major issue, and not one that FastMail could rectify quickly. The only partial solution I can think of is separate identities for HTML and text emails.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

FM's How to create a signature says "If your default message format is set to allow rich text formatting, the signature text box will also be rich text,...". Would it be reasonable then to interpret that if you had selected the advanced compose preference's "plain text" or "When replying, use the same format as the original message"(and the original message is plain text) that it would just ignore the sending identity's HTML sig formatting when replying? I didn't test this so it's just a guess.

Last edited by xyzzy : 13 Feb 2020 at 08:19 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2020, 08:31 PM   #4
gardenweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
FM's How to create a signature says "If your default message format is set to allow rich text formatting, the signature text box will also be rich text,...". Would it be reasonable then to interpret that if you had selected the advanced compose preference's "plain text" or "When replying, use the same format as the original message"(and the original message is plain text) that it would just ignore the sending identity's HTML sig formatting when replying? I didn't test this so it's just a guess.
I have "When replying, use the same format as the original message" ticked
Old 14 Feb 2020, 07:18 AM   #5
gardenweed

Something strange has happened this morning.

Now when I reply to a plain text message, the HTML signature is added and the reply becomes rich text.
This is even though I have "When replying, use the same format as the original message" ticked in the settings.

This is different behaviour to yesterday. Yesterday when I hit reply on a plain text email, the compose box was plain text and the signature was the html signature turned to plain text but with the html tags remaining.

Not sure what's going on.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 02:28 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
Something strange has happened this morning.

Now when I reply to a plain text message, the HTML signature is added and the reply becomes rich text.
This is even though I have "When replying, use the same format as the original message" ticked in the settings.

This is different behaviour to yesterday. Yesterday when I hit reply on a plain text email, the compose box was plain text and the signature was the html signature turned to plain text but with the html tags remaining.

Not sure what's going on.
I speculate that FastMail has realised that they have screwed up, and is flailing around trying to find the least bad temporary fix until they can figure out a proper solution.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 07:57 AM   #7
gardenweed

Something really fishy going on.
I raised a ticket about the problem yesterday & the behaviour changed even though Support claimed not to understand my problem.

This morning I checked my settings and find that "When replying, use the same format as the original message" is now unticked.
It was definitely ticked yesterday.

So the behaviour I see today (once the above setting is ticked again!) is that if I reply to a plain text email, my identity signature (which is in rich text) is now displayed in plain text, but those annoying html tags are still there.

I feel like I'm being played by Support.

Edit....

To clarify, the html tags are only showing where there was a link in the signature, eg to a web site, twitter link etc.

Last edited by gardenweed : 15 Feb 2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:59 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyStown View Post
HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. it is a hypertext markup language used to create web pages. it is written as an HTML element. hyperlinks refer to a series of connections on a page to another page. markup language means tags are used to define the layout of the page and the elements on the pages. its main focus is on how to display information on web pages, that is, web pages like are written using HTML code. HTML document is interpreted and displayed by web browsers. some famous web browsers.
Virtually everyone who uses this board probably knows more about HTML than you do. I do not know what the point of your post was supposed to be, especially as it is misleading. HTML was initially intended mainly for use in web browsers, but other kinds of applications, notably most mail clients, now support it for formatting and display of messages.