EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 11 May 2009, 09:18 AM   #1
pingme97
Essential Contributor

Do you use Address Book completely?

Just a question to understand how much are you concerned about using gmail address book to store, phone numbers, postal address etc.
pingme97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 May 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Concerned? Is there a reason for concern in saving this information on Gmail's Contacts? My Google Apps Contacts is the primary storage for all my contacts.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
ReuvenNY

I am less concerned storing my data in my Gmail account than with any other service.
Since I got my T-Mobile G1 (Google) phone, this is my primary PIM.
Having used it extensively for the past several month, I really appreciate it now more then ever before: it's clean, simple, comprehensive and user friendly.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 09:58 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Since I got my T-Mobile G1 (Google) phone, this is my primary PIM.
Having used it extensively for the past several month, I really appreciate it now more then ever before: it's clean, simple, comprehensive and user friendly.
How about you give us a review of the G1 ReuvenNY - it's arriving in Canada in two weeks time
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

If you Google that phone for reviews, you will get much better reviews that I can provide.
My personal view is that this (Android) is the best platform on the market today, and the phone itself is great.
My kids (who own the iPhone) were lobbying me for the 6 months prior to my decision to get the iPhone. Now don't get me wrong: it's a great phone, slick, elegant and all. But in my view - no comparison to the G1.
The primary difference which is very important to me is that all my email, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks are instantly and immediately synchronized over the 3G connection! No physical wire to sync with the computer. Being a Google fan, it just fits me right.
I like the real Qwerty keyboard, replaceable battery, user interface and I can find all the programs I can dream of in the Market. Since it's an open OS, there is no "Apple, the gate keeper" to intervene.
There are quite few programs that are not even available on the iPhone - like ShopSavvy (http://www.androidtapp.com/shopsavvy/) and the following links for review of all the programs:
http://www.cyrket.com/ and
http://www.androidtapp.com/
The new "Cupcake" version 1.5 will add also Video recording, which can be uploaded to Youtube instantly, virtual keyboard and more.
I don't know about Canada, but the T-Mobile coverage in the US where we live is much superior to that of the AT&T.
One more thing - T-Mobile unlocked our phones the day we received them so they can be used with a foreign SIM card - something iPhone would never allow. Heck, they don't even allow you to use a charger that is not manufactured by them...
Old 19 May 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

I have read a few reviews and am a little worried about battery life (although I will likely not be web browsing that often) Is the Google (Gmail) connectivity web (or client) based, is a question I have not been able to find an answer to. If the battery (or an extended battery) will hold out for a working day it will likely not be an issue either way.

As I will be spending time in the UK (later in the fall and next year) my CDMA Smartphone will not be much use to me.

I will try and get an unlocked G1 and use an 'Orange' prepaid card while in UK and put it on a Rogers plan in Canada. I was hankering after a Blackberry but am swinging over to an open source solution.

Many Thanks ReuvenNY.

Last edited by David : 19 May 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 19 May 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
ReuvenNY

There are many ways of using the phone. For people that are concerned with the battery life, there are solutions:
1. Replace with available more powerful battery or with extended (thicker) battery.
2. My way of dealing with - disconnect the GPS, Wi-Fi and Network search when you do not use it. The 3G connection is great so Wi-Fi is not needed. The GPS can be turned on only when needed.
In my way of usage, using the standard battery, I need to recharge between once a day to once in two days. I also keep a charger in the office and in the car, just in case.
The Gmail is both - native Gmail client and web based - your choice.
As far as unlocking - I don’t know about Rogers, but for $20 you can unlock any G1.
I used to be with Verizon and hated the CDMA.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:08 PM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

There is an awesome new Gmail app for the iPhone. The command bar follows and floats in the message list -- so the user doesn't have to select a message and scroll to the top or bottom to delete it, etc.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 01:44 PM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
There is an awesome new Gmail app for the iPhone. The command bar follows and floats in the message list -- so the user doesn't have to select a message and scroll to the top or bottom to delete it, etc.
If you are an iPhone user William, may I ask if you ever look elsewhere

The iPhone is just a little too slick for me. In the past I used to carry around a few of those (garden variety) ugly little old terminal boxes, that you come across now and again, and plug them in to PLC's (or whatever else would handshake) in order to communicate. The G1 is reminiscent of old school technology (yet the forerunner of the leading edge) It is a device that will appeal to the few (it's too big, brash, and heavy, to appeal to the masses) - the fact that Google chose to put nothing on this device that would appeal to big business says a lot.
Old 20 May 2009, 05:02 AM   #10
ReuvenNY

Some news about G1 in Canada

David, check it out:

Global Wireless to offer G1 and Magic in Canada

Old 20 May 2009, 06:26 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Thank you for the link ReuvenNY. The future does indeed look interesting. Rogers are set to release the G1 in two weeks time and are tipped to have cell and smartphones operational (on HSDPA) before Christmas (they have HSDPA operational already via laptop access I think)

Global Wireless are new to me (I had not heard of them before this) They would roam on the Rogers network I would imagine. Likely I will not need to purchase before Sept/Oct - it might be a whole different ball game by then.

Cheers