EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Dec 2008, 04:27 AM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Speed of New Interface vs. Old

Although there are plenty of changs and improvements with the new interface (which are discussed in other threads, etc.), one significant difference with the current version is speed.

Years ago when I started using fastmail, one of the main criteria for selecting this service was it's simplicity, lack of graphics, and lighting fast speed.

Today, I did a comparison of the two services, both current and with the new interface, going through READ messages and cleaning out my inbox via the

< Mailbox > Delete and: < Mailbox >

functions, as well as the similar links on the new interface.

What I've noticed is that the new interface is much slower.

The older version lacks "images" which take time to load on each screen.

When scanning through messages and wanting to either read the next, or delete and skip to the next message, there's no comparison when it comes to speed. The older version is clearly faster.

I like the new version and surely appreciate the advantages of using it on my iPod Touch as mobile fitting is one of the major improvements.

Given that speed may be a significant factor, I hope that there's an option to continue to use the old interface once the new interface is introduced.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Dec 2008, 04:40 AM   #2
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Images (and CSS files) are cached, and shouldn't have impact on load speed. It's probably due to the huge amount of javascript.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

I concur with "FromLine" Speed and simplicity, yet rich functionality were the reasons I moved to Fastmail "6 YEARS ago and have never used anyone else...

options would be nice.
A new section on the option page would be great, maybe??
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2008, 06:34 PM   #4
bvaliron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLine View Post
Although there are plenty of changs and improvements with the new interface (which are discussed in other threads, etc.), one significant difference with the current version is speed.
I do agree. From the variety of OS's and computers more or less fast I use, I would say this has to do with all the javascript and CSS widgets around.
I've just tested removing javascript and using "no style" (in firefox: View->Page Style->No Style), things are faster, and the overall speed seems closer to the one of the old interface.

-- Benoît.
bvaliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 04:04 AM   #5
justinh

You must balance apeed against the fact that fastmail would become an increasingly niche player.

When people compare the old fastmail UI with the one offered by many free products there is no doubt fastmail looks confusing and very unintuitive - for us geeks it may be good but we are a tiny proportion of the population.

Like all software Fastmail must move forward or die.
justinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 01:02 AM   #6
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh View Post
You must balance apeed against the fact that fastmail would become an increasingly niche player.

When people compare the old fastmail UI with the one offered by many free products there is no doubt fastmail looks confusing and very unintuitive - for us geeks it may be good but we are a tiny proportion of the population.

Like all software Fastmail must move forward or die.
I hear what your saying..
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:05 PM   #7
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I enjoy this legacy document..

http://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastmail/docs/about.html

Quote:
No graphics, no ads and lean HTML pages means that most screens take 2-3 seconds even over a modem.
Quote:
FastMail doesn't require cookies, Java, JavaScript, or any other technology.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:47 PM   #8
pingme97
Essential Contributor

This is the precise reason, I used to like FM Now with new interface, I prefer runbox a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
pingme97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 01:49 AM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme97 View Post
This is the precise reason, I used to like FM Now with new interface, I prefer runbox a lot...
Reliability > interface, so best of luck with the change.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 04:00 AM   #10
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I don't beleive it has to be one or the other.

The new iterface is wonderful on the iPhone / iPod Touch and greater functionability overall.

The old interface is wonderful for speed and efficiency on a traditional browser.

I just hope that when then new interface is implemented, there's an option to use the original version.

Even Google's Gmail has an "Older Version" link option.

Last edited by FromLine : 17 Dec 2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 04:20 AM   #11
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
It still doesn't require JavaScript/Java etc. - great care has been taken to make sure it works fine without. And if people are using really slow connections, they can change the stylesheet to remove all images, so I would say that's not just a legacy document...
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 04:47 AM   #12
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

All sites speed up when you disable external images. I'm certain that disabling basic web elements wasn't one of the fundamental ideas for creating Fastmail.

I'm really playing devils advocate here (as usual) -- I like the new interface and don't mind sacrificing a small portion of speed for improved functionality. The resistance some forum users provide is as intriguing to me as FM's position on removing the old interface.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 06:55 AM   #13
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I like the new interface and don't mind sacrificing a small portion of speed for improved functionality.
I like the new interface too, it has many great features and advantages.

The main focus as I see it is that older version should remain readily available - as an option - for those who choose to use it for their own specific purposes.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Merovingian
Master of the @

options are always good.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 09:35 AM   #15
stanwood

Has anyone compared the interfaces on the Chrome browser. That one is supposed to be a lot faster at running Javascript. Your results may be different. BTW, the next version of Firefox should be much faster at Javascript as well.
stanwood is offline   Reply With Quote